12 replies to this topic

#1 Ryan L.

Ryan L.

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 May 2004 - 10:27 AM

Hi everyone,
I felt my first post should have some importance to it and our community.

Anyone that has been affected by the closure of Folsom Dam should attend and let their voice be heard.
See ya there. biggrin.gif

Citizens Invited to Comment
on Impact of Folsom Dam Road Closure
Local residents may comment on the impact of the closure of the Folsom Dam Road during two upcoming open house meetings:

4:30 – 7 p.m., Thursday, May 27
Folsom Community Center

4:30 – 7 p.m., Wednesday, May 26
Library Galleria West Meeting Room
828 I Street, Sacramento

The U.S. Bureau of Reclamation is hosting the open house meetings to collect public comments as staff prepares an Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) to examine the environmental impact of the road closure on the natural and human environment. The Bureau closed the road indefinitely in February of 2003, citing national security issues.

Alternatives to be studied include: the proposed permanent restriction of public access; ending the indefinite road closure at a yet to be determined time; reopening the road on a partial basis; and a non action alternative that would reopen the road to the level of access in place before the February 2003 closure.

Citizens may also submit written comments by June 10, 2004 to Robert Schroeder, Project Manager, Bureau of Reclamation, Central California Area Office, 7794 Folsom Dam Road, Folsom, CA 95630; by fax to (916) 989-7208; or via the project website at: www.usbr.gov/mp/ccao/roadeis. Mr. Schroeder may also be reached by telephone at (916) 989-7274 (TDD 916-989-7285).

From Here

#2 camay2327

camay2327

GO NAVY

• 11,481 posts

Posted 23 May 2004 - 01:57 PM

I will not be able to attend the meeting as I am picking up my son at the SAC airport, he is flying in from LA.

However, I did send the following e-mail to the mayor and city council members of Folsom.

Quote:

I watched the last city council meeting on local TV as
I did not make the meeting.

The item about the Dam road came up again. I know it
is still a long shot on getting it opened up, even for
limited hours during the morning and evening traffic
hours.

One thing that I thought about was to have volunteers,
like me, that could post themselves at either end of
the bridge or even on the bridge with Binoculars and
watch for anythink out of the ordinary. We could be
given two way radios to use by the city, or police
department, and we could call in anything we thought
they should be aware of. This of course would be over
and above any other security in place. This would just
be added security.

I would be glad to be one the the volunteers.

Good Luck.

Unquote:

I also sent this to Mr. Robert Schroeder, folsom Dam Road EIS Comments.

I am retired and I think we could get others that might want to volunteer some time.

A VETERAN Whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount "up to and including their life". That is HONOR, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -Author unknown-

#3 panama

panama

Netizen

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 23 May 2004 - 10:46 PM

we need a lot of people at this meeting. I think a lot of people think it's a lost cause, but it's NOT! Plus if you work in Sactown there's a meeting on I street on Tuesday. This works great as I can't get off work to be in Folsom but I can make the Sacto meeting.

#4 camay2327

camay2327

GO NAVY

• 11,481 posts

Posted 27 May 2004 - 02:26 PM

It looks like I might be able to make the meeting tonight as my son is coming in on a later flight.

Please note the following: From the city web site....

-------------

News Releases

Motorists, Residents Urged to Speak on Dam Road Closure   

FOLSOM – The thousands of motorists, residents and business people impacted by the closure of the Folsom Dam Road have an opportunity to voice their views on the closure at the Bureau of Reclamation’s two open house meetings in Sacramento and Folsom Wednesday and Thursday evenings, May 26 and 27.

The Bureau, which cited security concerns when it closed the road last year, is holding the public meetings to collect comments for an Environmental Impact Statement (EIS). The Bureau expects to complete the EIS on the human and environmental impact of the Dam Road closure in March 2005.

“The City of Folsom is continuing an aggressive lobbying campaign to re-open the Dam Road as soon as possible during peak commute hours,” said Assistant City Manager Will Kempton. “We are willing to provide appropriate measures to deal with any security concerns, while providing significant relief to motorists, residents and businesses that have been seriously impacted by the unforeseen closure.

“Bureau officials contend that they won’t take any action to re-open the road until they finish this environmental review of the road’s closure. We believe we can safely re-open the road to passenger vehicles on a limited basis while the Bureau is conducting its study.”

City officials encourage area residents who have been impacted by the closure to voice their comments at one of the two meetings; 4:30 – 7 p.m., May 26 at the Library Galleria West Room, 828 I Street in Sacramento, or 4:30 – 7 p.m., May 27 at the Folsom Community Center, 52 Natoma Street.

As a direct result of the Dam Road closure, more than 18,000 commuters driving between western El Dorado and southern Placer counties jam Folsom’s historic district and neighborhoods on a daily basis seeking alternate routes. 

---

Please try to make this meeting and make yourself heard. Be there by 4:30 PM....

Folsom Community Center, 52 Natoma Street....

A VETERAN Whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount "up to and including their life". That is HONOR, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -Author unknown-

#5 slowthegrowth

slowthegrowth

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,318 posts

Posted 27 May 2004 - 02:47 PM

Did anyone go to the meeting in downtown Sac last night? Or...are you like my wife and I who are planning to go tonight?

What was the point of having the first meeting way down on I street anyways?

For those that did go last night....what happened?

#6 camay2327

camay2327

GO NAVY

• 11,481 posts

Posted 27 May 2004 - 04:52 PM

OK, I went to the meeting. I was there about 15/20 minutes. I expected to see someone up in front that would be speaking. There was no speaker and no question and answer period where everyone could hear all questions asked.

They did have stations set up where you could read what was presented and there were people there that would try and answer your questions one on one. No one else could hear your questions and you could not hear anyone elses, or any answers.

They wanted you to fill out suggestions forms and put them in a box.

I really do not think that this was the way to do things, but who am I????

#7 slowthegrowth

slowthegrowth

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 3,318 posts

Posted 28 May 2004 - 07:45 AM

My wife and I went to the event yesterday.... This apparently is their "scoping" effort; a drive to get as many ideas/opinions as possible on the affects of closing/not closing the dam road....which they will then use to determine impacts/risks and eventually their final conclusions and recommendations on what to do next.

It was as mentioned above....several "stations" where information was provided on several aspects of the road closure. There were several people available to answer questions.....but the main point of all this was to get feedback from the community.

They had several large sheets of paper on the walls and available on stands for folks to write their comments that everyone else was welcome to read.....kind of like this board.

In putting myself in their shoes (I'm a project mgr in real-life), I was struck by the very general nature of the comments being made.....

"Closing the dam road makes it more difficult for me to get to the stores downtown"

"It takes me much longer to get to/from work now...."

"The terrorists don't really want to destroy the dam..."

Are these the kind of comments that are going to lead to an opening of the dam road....really? Are these "ideas" new?

I will stop short of saying that this was an effort to appease the locals by allowing them to speak their minds....but with no real intention of doing anything but what is in their best interests..... but I have to wonder about the quality of the arguements being offered against keeping the road closed.

IMHO: What will sway these folks are hard facts. How much $$ are the businesses on Sutter and Auburn/Folsom losing? How much longer is it taking ambulances to get around town due to increased traffic? What is the real cost to you and I in things like the increased amount we have to pay for gas (especially now) due to sitting in stop/go traffic......what is the true likelyhood of a terrorist attack on the dam....and what can be done to prevent it other than closing the road?

There were city officials passing around a petition that was intended to show the local support for opening the road on a limited basis (rush-hours, with security/checkpoints)....which we signed of course.

We thought this was going to be a forum for people to speak and be heard....this was the case...but just on paper.

For those that missed it, they are taking comments for the next 2 weeks....

#8 longgone

longgone

Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 28 May 2004 - 02:56 PM

I was there also and was disappointed that it was not to be "panel discussion" with Q & A. However, I put down the suggestion----I think it was yours Stevethedad-----about volunteer security shifts by retirees.

I was very impressed with the turn out, at least 4:30 to 5:30 when I left. By the way, leaving then was a mistake Traffic on Natoma was backed up to the light in front of City Hall. I went over and cut down to Coloma to Sutter St. BIG MISTAKE!!!

Thursday Night Market---first of the season had Sutter blocked off----went down to the "alley" between Elks Hall and Moose Hall----gate closed------turn around, back to Caloma to Natoma and eventually Riley.

I hope the turnout from 5:30 to 7:00 was as good or better. I wonder if it will do any good for Folsom, or if it was just a waste of time.

They asked that people write letters with suggestions and comments.

#9 UncleVinny

UncleVinny

"Can't we all just get along?"

• Premium Member
  • 4,088 posts

Posted 31 May 2004 - 04:38 PM

It seems most people believe the closing of the road has nothing to do with security.

Has anyone ever thought that the current building project (The Promontory) might have something to do with it? Look at all the construction vehicles at the South end of the road. I'm not saying anyone bribed anyone, but Boy! it sure is convenient to build new multi-million dollar homes there (Folsom Dam Road @ Natoma Street) without all the traffic going by. The builder CDB Homes, owned by Clifford D. Brabant. Do we have a research journalist in the audience who can search this out?

Uncle Vinny ohmy.gif

#10 Terry

Terry

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 2,425 posts

Posted 31 May 2004 - 08:49 PM

It would be a major mistake for the feds to open the dam road now. It was never intended to carry traffic other than for maintenance of the dam. They should have closed it long before 9-11 so that when they did end up closing it people wouldn't have claimed that they were entitled to use it. Biggest mistake ever was to have it opened for commute traffic in the first place.

#11 john

john

Founder

• Admin
  • 9,841 posts

Posted 02 June 2004 - 09:56 PM

QUOTE (Terry @ May 31 2004, 09:49 PM)
It would be a major mistake for the feds to open the dam road now. It was never intended to carry traffic other than for maintenance of the dam. They should have closed it long before 9-11 so that when they did end up closing it people wouldn't have claimed that they were entitled to use it. Biggest mistake ever was to have it opened for commute traffic in the first place.

You're right Terry. The traffic would have been just as bad years ago and another bridge would likely have been put in place. But that would have been too easy. Unfortunately, money talks. It was cheaper to open the Dam Road to the public. This, of course, was way before 9/11.

Uncle Vinny: I personally do think it is about security. I don't believe there is alterior motives. The new construction, I think any new resident would prefer a fast way across the river.

Folks, if you want to speak out and are looking for a place to air your comments, go to this website:
http://www.usbr.gov/...is/contact.html
Chock full of good contacts. Hurry though, I believe they are collecting all comments by June 10.

#12 jake

jake

Veteran

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 11 June 2004 - 11:37 AM

new development on the bridge in today's Bee:
http://www.sacbee.co...-10535869c.html
"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you're going, because you might not get there."
-Yogi Berra

#13 OctoberLily

OctoberLily

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts
  • Interests:My interests vary. However, they focus mainly on my husband and children. Getting my boys through college and creating a good life for themselves. I enjoy anything creative, artistic and thought provoking. Music ranges from Andrea Boccelli to some hiphop groups. I enjoy dancing, singing and life in general. Former U.S. Marine - pretty conservative in my opinions but always open to listening to what others have to say.

Posted 11 June 2004 - 10:24 PM

If we had to vote, I would continue to support the Closure of Folsom Dam. Now I know this is an unpopular vote but C'est la vie.

I now work in Roseville and realize how much nicer and faster it would be for me to just drive over that Dam instead of fighting traffic on Folsom Auburn or Riley but, to me, it is worth it.

People tend to forget what happened on 9/11. It would be the greatest feat for a terrorist to blow up our Dam and destroy California's Capitol and farm lands. Destroying California's Capitol would make headlines around the world. Hurting our farm lands would affect not only our entire country but also many parts of the world that rely on our Agriculture.

People refuse to see that opening the Dam Road is an enormous risk to the security and well being of this State because the closure is inconvenient for them. With the growing "me me me me" attitude many people just want instant gratification now and don't think about the disastrous effect a bomb would have on our Dam and our people.

Folsom Dam is a perfect target for a terrorist. It is also easy for a terrorist to blend in with Folsom's growing diverse community. We have people from all over the world, including the Middle East Pakistan, etc., that live and work in Folsom, Roseville and Rocklin. Now I know that Terrorist come in all shapes, sizes and nationalities, so please don't take offense. However, let's be honest and realistic, we all know how extremely unpopular (hated) we are with the people of the Middle East.

So to those that base their reasons for opening the Dam Road based solely on the fact that is inconvenient to them, I'm sorry. That is not a good enough reason to open it. Let's find an alternative or I know, why don't we just suck it up and get real. We live in a very different Country now after 9/11. Complacency and arrogance is what caused 9/11 in the first place.

No one (before 9/11) really believed that Terrorists were in our back yards all these years plotting to kill each and every one of us Americans. Our arrogance caused thousands of people to die that day. How many more thousands have to die before people wake the heck up?!

"The only thing we can take with us from this life is the good that we have done to others."

"Our strength will be found in our charity." [Betty J. Eadie]

"Being a mom is the most rewarding job I have ever had!"

"SEMPER FIDELIS! USMC"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users