7 replies to this topic

#1 matt

matt

All Star

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 31 October 2003 - 03:59 PM

I heard a rumor that a new Kaiser hospital may be built on the site that was planned for the Broadstone mall.
Anyone have details?

#2 Avanti!

Avanti!

Netizen

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 31 October 2003 - 10:03 PM

I read in the Sacramento Business Journal a while back that Kaiser was interested in Folsom, but was looking at land South of 50. The article mentioned that hospitals are often catalysts for development even when there is opposition to development. However, this may not be the plan anymore. The very lively thread "Development South of 50" on this forum may have something satisfactory for you.
Other than that I say keep the mall thing alive. Let's bring some of those Roseville and Arden wallets up here for visits to a Broadstone Mall.

#3 S123

S123

Netizen

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 31 October 2003 - 10:17 PM

QUOTE (Avanti! @ Oct 31 2003, 10:03 PM)
I read in the Sacramento Business Journal a while back that Kaiser was interested in Folsom, but was looking at land South of 50.  The article mentioned that hospitals are often catalysts for development even when there is opposition to development.  However, this may not be the plan anymore.  The very lively thread "Development South of 50" on this forum may have something satisfactory for you.
Other than that I say keep the mall thing alive.  Let's bring some of those Roseville and Arden wallets up here for visits to a Broadstone Mall.

Speaking of the Sacramento Business Journal. I just checked and there is now a new Kaiser-hospital-in-Folsom article:

http://www.bizjourna...y39.html?f=et76

There was supposed to be an annoucement today, but I haven't heard anything.
Maybe on the news tonight or in the Sacramento Bee paper tomorrow or next week.

It kind of sounds like 50% of the 100 acre mall site is going to Kaiser and the other 50 acres is planned to be a smaller "high-end" retail develement rather than an actual full-sized mall with department stores.

#4 john

john

Founder

• Admin
  • 9,841 posts

Posted 31 October 2003 - 11:01 PM

that really is too bad... I hope somebody can get their act together and get the rest truly developed for high-end retail or else it will end up being a Starbucks and McDonald's.

#5 Avanti!

Avanti!

Netizen

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 31 October 2003 - 11:57 PM

Well, that's that. However, this indeed will be good for job seekers and the economy here in Folsom overall.

I have been feeling the the drums beginning to beat louder for development South of 50. Maybe a mall there. Perhaps?

Those grasslands South of 50 look similar to some once in Rocklin and Roseville before Stanford Ranch and the Galleria.

Development moves quickly enough. I'm sure we'll soon know for sure.

#6 matt

matt

All Star

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 01 November 2003 - 08:16 AM

I found a small article in the Sacramento Bee:

http://www.sacbee.co...p-8647098c.html

Niether article quite says that it is the mall site, but I don't know what other site owned by Elliott at Iron Point and East Bidwell with 100 acres they could be talking about.

However, if that is what's going to happen, the hospital jobs will be much better for the local economy than mall jobs. The city would lose the sales tax revenue of a large mall, but would gain much higher paying local jobs instead. There will be doctors and nurses and other healthcare workers, plus plenty of support workers.
The article says Ellott plans to build a retail development with 835,000 square feet of high-end fashion retail and entertainment on the half of the land that's not going to Kaiser.
How does that compare to the size of the Sacramento Pavillions center on Fair Oaks Blvd?

I think the area could still eventually need a mall in a few years down the road. Maybe it will now go out to El Dorado Hills and not have the retailers complain that is too close to the Westfield Galleria and Sunrise malls.
On the other hand, with the big box discount stores including Best Buy, Costco, Sams Club, plus the Ross and other discount clothing store at the Broadstone, plus the existing and planned new restautants, a smaller shopping center like Pavillions with more upscale restaurants and clothing stores could probably cover most everything else most people would go to a mall for.
A smaller glitzy retail center with some of the more upscale shops that would have normally gone into and around a mall would be interesting to have in Folsom.
So, it could turn out well if it's done right.

#7 camay2327

camay2327

GO NAVY

• 11,481 posts

Posted 01 November 2003 - 10:54 AM

I believe Kaiser is going to build a new hospital somewhere near the one they have now and is going to be between Iron Point road and US 50. Not sure where.

I think the Mall is still on track but don't know when.

Any city council member please let me know.

Cal
A VETERAN Whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount "up to and including their life". That is HONOR, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -Author unknown-

#8 matt

matt

All Star

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 01 November 2003 - 11:13 AM

QUOTE (camay2327 @ Nov 1 2003, 10:54 AM)
I believe Kaiser is going to build a new hospital somewhere near the one they have now and is going to be between Iron Point road and US 50. Not sure where.

I think the Mall is still on track but don't know when.

Any city council member please let me know.

Cal

The Business Journal article specifically says the Kaiser land is half of a 100+ acre lot around East Bidwell and Iron Point.
It indicates that the construction will start off with more medical offices and an outpatient surgery center and then a hospital would be built there some time in the future.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users