Photo
- - - - -

Yellow Ribbons!! Please Support our Troops!

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 OctoberLily

OctoberLily

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts
  • Interests:My interests vary. However, they focus mainly on my husband and children. Getting my boys through college and creating a good life for themselves. I enjoy anything creative, artistic and thought provoking. Music ranges from Andrea Boccelli to some hiphop groups. I enjoy dancing, singing and life in general. Former U.S. Marine - pretty conservative in my opinions but always open to listening to what others have to say.

Posted 21 March 2003 - 12:26 AM

Hi Everyone,

As you know, military action has been implemented to disarm Sadam Hussein. Some of you may or may not support our Political Administration on this issue. Either way, please support our troops - they are there to do their job and making enormous sacrifices for everyone.

As a former military member (U.S. Marines), I ask that you support our troops by hanging yellow ribbons on your car, the tree in front of your house, your door knob, or pin a yellow ribbon on your lapel - anywhere that is visible to others showing you support our men and women in the military.

Our military men and women are sacrificing their lives in Iraq, Afghanistan and around the world - serving our country - so that other people around the world may enjoy the freedoms we enjoy in the United States today. Please show them your support by hanging those yellow ribbons.

I know many of them would appreciate seeing your support - especially in light of the many protests they may see in the news via t.v., radio or computers. The last thing I would hate for them to see is that we are not supporting and appreciative of the huge sacrifice they are making for all of us. We have already lost 4 U.S. Marines and 12 British Soldiers.

Please...Please...show our military men, women, and their families that we care and await their return home.

If you can pass the word around to others, please send a message to all you know to hang those yellow ribbons.

Thank You!
"The only thing we can take with us from this life is the good that we have done to others."

"Our strength will be found in our charity." [Betty J. Eadie]

"Being a mom is the most rewarding job I have ever had!"

"SEMPER FIDELIS! USMC"

#2 cybertrano

cybertrano

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,495 posts

Posted 21 March 2003 - 06:47 AM

Will do OctoberLily!!!!!! Everyone please do the same!!!!!!!! Thank you all

Also pray for the people of Iraq.

usa.gif usa.gif usa.gif

#3 OctoberLily

OctoberLily

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts
  • Interests:My interests vary. However, they focus mainly on my husband and children. Getting my boys through college and creating a good life for themselves. I enjoy anything creative, artistic and thought provoking. Music ranges from Andrea Boccelli to some hiphop groups. I enjoy dancing, singing and life in general. Former U.S. Marine - pretty conservative in my opinions but always open to listening to what others have to say.

Posted 21 March 2003 - 03:02 PM

Anyone interested in a Yellow Ribbon Campaign - please leave me a private message.

I would like to do something to show our troops that we support them and their safe return home.

The Yellow Ribbon Campaign which others had done in the Gulf War was a kind of a community organized activity wherein people get together to assemble yellow ribbons and pins or needles and passes them out to the community either by standing at local grocery stores and passing them out to the employees and the patrons, etc.

I've created approximately 200 yellow ribbons and am still assembling more. I need help passing them out. I'm going to contact the local Retired Marine Corps Veterans Organization to see if they would like to help out.

We now have lost 6 Marines and 12 British Soldiers. Sadly, I'm sure the people of Iraq have lost quite a few citizens as well. Let's show them all that we care by wearing our yellow ribbons.

I'm really angry that I don't see much support being shown in the news for our troops. I'd like to see if we can change that. The Military people in Iraq and all over the country watch the news - they see the protests and are well aware of it. I would like to show them that we do care and that we pray for their safe return home.

If you are interested in helping me with the Yellow Ribbon Campaign, please send me a message. Thanks!
"The only thing we can take with us from this life is the good that we have done to others."

"SEMPER FIDELIS! USMC"

#4 NRB

NRB

Superstar

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts
  • Interests:Secretary, FIDO Inc. (Folsom Independent Dog Owners) dedicated to bringing a dog park to Folsom and promoting responsible dog ownership. www.fidoinc.org <br /><br />Secretary, Friends of Folsom Parkways

Posted 21 March 2003 - 03:15 PM

I would like to clarify something. Just because I feel that war is not the appropriate solution...I still support our troops!!!! I have no sympathy or admiration for peace protesters who hold our troops responsible for this war or look on them unfavorably. They are puting their lives on the line to defend our freedoms and should be shown the utmost respect! I think the "Yellow Ribbon" campaign is a great idea. I will put a large yellow ribbon around a tree in my front yard and encourage my neighbors to do the same. Afterall, I am an American first. My personal belief against war comes second!
Want a dog park in Folsom?
Go to www.FIDO Inc.org

#5 cybertrano

cybertrano

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 6,495 posts

Posted 21 March 2003 - 07:03 PM

thank you NRB, nicely put!!!! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Octoberlily - let's see what a introvert and reserved person like me can do. I just talked to my wife about this and perhaps she can help pass some out at her bus stop. She said she can bring them to her work place (Caltrans) to pass them out? etc. I can do something like that too. I am a low profile person so passing out at places that you mentioned is not in my personality, even though I like to. Let me know anything else I can do such money donations etc..

John - you have all the emails from registered members, can you mass-email out to ask for help in this subject.

According to what I know 70% of the US population support the war so I would think more than 70% support the troops. Yes - I spend too much time at work reading news rolleyes.gif

#6 cybertrano

cybertrano

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 6,495 posts

Posted 22 March 2003 - 02:18 PM

I want to attend this event but it was toooooooooo late. We need a more organized way of distributing and obtaining info such as these. Darn!!

War supporters to stage rally at Capitol
By Terri Hardy -- Bee Staff Writer
Last Updated 6:33 a.m. PST Saturday, March 22, 2003
State Sen. Rico Oller believes there is a "silent majority" of Americans whose views on the war with Iraq haven't been heard.

Together with a grass-roots coalition of self-described patriot groups, Oller is sponsoring a rally today from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. on the west steps of the Capitol to show support for the war against Iraq.

"We've got these oddball losers in San Francisco throwing themselves in front of vehicles and getting a lot of coverage from the media, but that's not indicative of who or what America is," the Republican lawmaker from San Andreas said. "The vast majority of Americans support our troops and our commander-in-chief. They just don't spend a lot of time making a fuss."

Organizers will kick off the event with a "Support our Troops" SUV Rally circling the Capitol before 1 p.m. Mark Williams, the radio host of KFBK's "Night Talk Live," will serve as the master of ceremonies. Oller wants participants to fill out "Support our Troops" fliers to send to the White House -- one way of expressing their affection for the armed forces while demonstrating support for the White House, he said.

Dave Jenest, who heads the Patriot Defenders Network -- a Sacramento-based coalition that supports the war -- said his objective at the rally is to refocus the efforts of organizations like his.

Although Oller and Jenest said those who support the Bush administration have been less likely to stage large demonstrations because they are busy with the concerns of daily life, there have been large pro-troop rallies held across the country.

The Chicago Tribune reported some of the biggest rallies have endorsed the Bush administration, with most of those events sponsored by Clear Channel Worldwide Inc., the nation's largest owner of radio stations. The newspaper said sponsorship of such rallies is unique among major media companies.

Clear Channel owns Sacramento's KFBK and at one point intended to sponsor today's rally, but pulled out when it realized there wasn't enough time to organize the event, said Ken Kohl, operations manager for Clear Channel in Sacramento.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

About the Writer
---------------------------

The Bee's Terri Hardy can be reached at (916) 321-1073 or thardy@sacbee.com.

#7 admin

admin

Administrator

• Admin
  • 25 posts

Posted 22 March 2003 - 03:54 PM

I could have sworn somebody posted something about this a week or so ago, but I can't find the thread. I too wanted to go but we forgot about it.
MyFolsom.Com Message Board Tip #3
To view all new threads in the last 24 hours, Click on "Today's Active Topics" from the forum index.

#8 cybertrano

cybertrano

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 6,495 posts

Posted 22 March 2003 - 04:01 PM

Betty mentioned something about it, but she doesn't know where the event will be.

There are around 72% of the people supporting the War but all I have heard so far from the darn news was protest. So much garbage.

I found out about this event around 2 pm, after the garage sell!!!!

Folsom folks need to get involved with "support our troop" issue!!!!!

#9 OctoberLily

OctoberLily

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 22 March 2003 - 10:57 PM

Hi Everyone,

A group of us went out today at Bel Air on East Bidwell to pass out Yellow Ribbons. Many people supported and thanked us. I met a couple of veterans from Bosnia and Vietnam. They were almost in tears when they knew what we were doing for our Troops.

Some people declined *until* I said it was FREE. tongue.gif biggrin.gif Others who were happy to see us tried very hard to give us money. Of course, we refused.

We thought it was kind of funny how we have all been trained to give money to people in front of grocery stores (Lucky for those Girl Scouts).

I left several SUPPORT OUR TROOPS boxes filled with Yellow Ribbons at the following locations:

** Safeway Grocery Store - Prairie City Rd - Customer Service Counter

** Bel Air Grocery Store - East Bidwell Rd - Customer Service Counter

** Safeway Grocery Store - Alhambra Blvd - Customer Service Counter

** 24 Hour Fitness - East Bidwell Rd - Front Counter

** Bella Bru - Blue Ravine Rd - Front Counter

** Starbucks - Praire City Rd - Front Counter

(I found out that Starbucks provides our troops their coffee. smile.gif They were more than happy to support our Yellow Ribbon Campaign wub.gif )

** International House of Pancakes Restaurant - East Bidwell Rd - Front Counter.

While dropping off the box of yellow ribbons at IHOP, I met a waitress who came up to me and said her son was shipping out to Iraq tomorrow. She was almost in tears. She was so very grateful that someone showed her we cared for her son - our troops. She gave me the biggest hug blush.gif The manager came up to me and said his brother is in the Army there and was so thankful for the show of support. flag.gif

If you want a yellow ribbon, you can get them there. If you would like to make yellow ribbons to replenish the boxes, I would really really appreciate that.

I'm making more boxes tonight and will be placing them around town. I'll keep you posted on the business that will have them. (Also, Broadstone Racquet Club refused to have our yellow ribbon boxes in their facilities so please do not drop off boxes there.) Also, please put FREE PINS so that people do not put money in your boxes. Otherwise, people will assume you are asking for donations and that is not the purpose.)

If you and your family want to support our troops and CREATE BOXES and YELLOW RIBBONS and take them to one of our local businesses or to your work, you can use the boxes at one of these stores as an example. The materials I purchased at Michaels were inexpensive. Yellow Ribbons were 44 cents a role, 200 pins were $3.29, boxes were 79 cents, stickers were $1.99. The boxes and ribbons were very inexpensive to make.

Thanks for your support everyone! usa.gif

"SEMPER FIDELIS! USMC"

#10 john

john

Founder

• Admin
  • 9,841 posts

Posted 22 March 2003 - 11:04 PM

Thank you very much Octoberlily! usa.gif I will make sure I stop by Safeway tomorrow to get a couple. I'll also post this on the front page for all to see!

#11 cybertrano

cybertrano

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 6,495 posts

Posted 23 March 2003 - 02:30 PM

Casualty going up. Pray for our brave men/women fighting for freedom.

I will get my wife and sisters-in-law to make some ribbons and pass them out.

And of course thank you OctoberLily !!!

#12 tessieca

tessieca

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,292 posts

Posted 24 March 2003 - 12:24 PM

If you are so inclined, visit the department of Defense web page below and sign a brief message thanking the men and women of the U.S. military services for defending our freedom. The compiled list of names will be sent out to our soldiers at the end of the month. So far, there are only about 2,505,788 people have signed to date. What a shame. There should be hundreds
of millions of thank you's. Pass the word that we can honor and support the defenders of freedom during National Military Appreciation Month.

http://www.defendamerica.mil/nmam.html >

It takes only 10 seconds...literally. (Please pass it on to your email
friends).

"Sometimes on purpose and sometimes by accident, teachers' unions have a long history of working against the interests of children in the name of job security for adults. And Democrats in particular have a history of facilitating this obstructionism in exchange for campaign donations and votes." . . .Amanda Ripley re "Waiting for Superman" movie.

#13 NRB

NRB

Superstar

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts
  • Interests:Secretary, FIDO Inc. (Folsom Independent Dog Owners) dedicated to bringing a dog park to Folsom and promoting responsible dog ownership. www.fidoinc.org <br /><br />Secretary, Friends of Folsom Parkways

Posted 24 March 2003 - 07:12 PM

I'd also like to see the people of Folsom tying yellow ribbons around their trees in their front yards. I was surprised to see not a one in Folsom (except of course for the ones in my yard). We went for a drive yesterday in Shingle Springs and the yellow ribbons were everywhere! Slowly but surely, I am seeing the flags going up again. It would be nice to see the yellow ribbons out there too!
Want a dog park in Folsom?
Go to www.FIDO Inc.org

#14 bettyemahan

bettyemahan

All Star

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 25 March 2003 - 08:06 AM

I have the yellow ribbon out in front of my place and am working on two boxes of the free pin ons.

#15 bettyemahan

bettyemahan

All Star

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 29 March 2003 - 01:32 PM

Thanks go to Manager John B. at the Albertson's (old Lucky) on E. Bidwell at Blue Ravine for donating a large florists spool of several hundred yards of yellow ribbon. I will be placing a box there as well as at Mail Boxes etc. in the Raley's shopping center and refilling them with the ribbon John donated.

A pkg. of 200 safety pins and a pkg. of 1000 straight pins $1.00 each at the Dollar Tree, shopping center at E. Bidwell & Glenn.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users