• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#31 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Photography, Travel, Art

Posted 06 March 2014 - 01:01 PM

who shhh'd you?  concert goers or ushers?  I mean, dang.  it IS a concert!!  make some noise!

It was some prude lady sitting behind me who probably should have stayed at home and watched a Lawrence Welk re-run instead of going to this oh so rowdy show. :cane:

It was definitely not the ushers - the users were very cool and helpful.

Travel, food and drink blog by Davehttp://davestravels.tv

#32 mrdavex

mrdavex

Superstar

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 794 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 01:13 PM

I have attended very few rock and pop concerts in my lifetime, and I'd probably be more inline with the PBS crowd.  With that disclosed, I love Three Stages, and I've attended musical theater, the symphony, and Weird Al, each one being a somewhat different experience.  I didn't think the crowd was stuffy at Weird Al and they were having a good time.  I'll take a concert any day at 3 Stages over Powerhouse or Folsom Live.  I don't buy anything alcohol/beverages/snacks at concerts/performances/movies anywhere since I don't want to pay the obscene markup, but I also want to sit through the event without getting the urge to go to the bathroom.  That spoils any event.  I'd rather have a nice meal before/after at one of the nice restaurants in the area.  However, at a place like Powerhouse or FM Live, I  will have a drink, just because they feel more like a party than a concert and the music is not the main focus, but just a piece of the atmosphere.   

Also forgot to add one thing I really like about 3 Stages vs Sleep Train Arena or the Community Center Theater: FREE PARKING!!

--
"Let's just hope Comcast doesn't own any tanks."
-Robert X. Cringely

#33 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 01:16 PM

I haven't noticed any difference between the ushers at Three Stages than I have at the Community Center in Sacto or even at theaters in SF for that matter.  They are always smiling and engaging.  Maybe its the imposing nature of the architecture outside.  Maybe its the resident demographic; we are a pretty polite population, after all.  who knows.  can't blame the ushers though.  But maybe they do need a different guy or gal to come out at the beginning and set a different tone.  I know someone has to mention sponsors and exits, but make it more fun?

Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

#34 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts
  • Interests:Sole proprietor: Tailored Resume Services
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 06 March 2014 - 01:27 PM

I know someone has to mention sponsors and exits, but make it more fun?

They could take a note from some of Southwest's flight attendants! LOL

Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child
Making a Difference in the Life of Abused and Neglected Children in Foster Care
http://www.sacramentocasa.org/

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

#35 The Average Joe

The Average Joe

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 7,155 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 02:19 PM

They had wine tasting in the lobby the time I went to see Tommy Castro and friends. It was pleasant, and the crowd was lively. However, it was just too dang loud. I'm not a prude, I have been to concerts so loud your insides would vibrate (the Who), but for a fairly intimate setting, if they are giving out free earplugs, it's too dang loud. Plus, the melody gets mushed into a wall of sound rather than each part being distinct.

My wife really enjoyed the musical theater experience there, but she went with a friend so I don't know specifics of what was good/bad.

On the other hand, we went to Reno a few weeks ago to see Pentatonix. The room was fantastic, the band was amazing...but... the venue sucked big time. It was held in the Grand Theater at the Grand Sierra resort. Seating for 1800 cruise ship style (tables and booths). Unfortunately, they waaaay overbooked the venue, and with no assigned seating, you had hundreds of people milling about trying unsuccessfully to find a seat. Boo. I would estimate at least 500 people ended up standing for the show. We ended up totally crammed in a booth. No warning on the tickets at purchase. At least I got to share an elevator with three of the band after the show and thank them for a stellar performance.

Pentatonix would be a perfect act to bring to Folsom as they appeal to a large swath of people. I saw 60 somethings, pre teens and everything in between. Definitely a show the whole family could attend. And lively...no PBS "golf clapping" allowed.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive" -- C.S. Lewis

If the only way to combat "global warming" was to lower taxes, we would never hear of the issue again. - Anonymous

"Society in every state is a blessing, but Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one" — Thomas Paine, 𝘊𝘰𝘮𝘮𝘰𝘯 𝘚𝘦𝘯𝘴𝘦 (1776)

#36 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 02:33 PM

They could take a note from some of Southwest's flight attendants! LOL

I like their style, too.

#37 Rich_T

Rich_T

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,728 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 03:34 PM

Pentatonix would be a perfect act to bring to Folsom as they appeal to a large swath of people. I saw 60 somethings, pre teens and everything in between. Definitely a show the whole family could attend. And lively...no PBS "golf clapping" allowed.

Pentatonix would fill the venue easily.  The Folsom High jazz program and extended supporters are numerous, and love Pentatonix.

#38 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts
  • Interests:Sole proprietor: Tailored Resume Services
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 12 March 2014 - 09:04 PM

SO NOT STUFFY!

Went to see Savion Glover tonight and that crowd (including us) was whooping and hollering and not waiting until the ends of dances to applaud. Awesome program at a great venue. I don't know if tickets are still available for tomorrow's (Thursday's) show, but if you're available check it out. Seriously.

Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child
Making a Difference in the Life of Abused and Neglected Children in Foster Care
http://www.sacramentocasa.org/

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users