• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 shoopsshutter

shoopsshutter

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 09:58 AM

A new renter just moved in a few doors down. Apparently they have a pet rooster. It starts crowing at 5:30 am and goes for hours. Is it legal to have a rooster in Folsom? I can't find any clear laws on the internet. Not only is the rooster annoying, but it gets all the dogs excited and barking at very early hours. Help!

#2 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 10:08 AM

Folsom allows people to have I think two chickens in their yard. Might be three. I don't think they restrict roosters. I wonder if they wandered down from the zoo?
Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

#3 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 11:20 AM

The Folsom Municipal Code only mentions chickens, not roosters.
I thought I heard a roosters when walking past some houses in the California Hills section. I don't mind the sound, but, then again, it wasn't at 5:00 a.m. I was kind of surprised because I didn't think those yards were very big and you are supposed to keep them something like 20 feet from any property line, not that I'd bust a neighbor for that, unless they didn't keep things sanitary.

When we had chickens I went to a place where they sexed them to make sure we didn't get a rooster. We get along great with our neighbors and I wanted to keep it that way. Plus, the only reason we wanted them was for eggs. Roosters aren't so good at that.

Good luck. If it helps any, roosters aren't very bright and usually don't live too long anyway.

#4 The Average Joe

The Average Joe

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 7,155 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 02:22 PM

I hate roosters with a passion. The "crow at dawn" is a bunch of hogwash. Grillin is too good for them...Of course, if I had a neighbor with a dog barking all the time or who had wild parties til the wee hours...I would not be fond of them either...

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive" -- C.S. Lewis

If the only way to combat "global warming" was to lower taxes, we would never hear of the issue again. - Anonymous

"Society in every state is a blessing, but Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one" — Thomas Paine, 𝘊𝘰𝘮𝘮𝘰𝘯 𝘚𝘦𝘯𝘴𝘦 (1776)

#5 (The Dude)

(The Dude)
  • Visitors

Posted 17 August 2012 - 03:03 PM

THat's just rude, it's sad that those neighbors dont have any common sense of decency

#6 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 03:12 PM

The Folsom Municipal Code only mentions chickens, not roosters.

a rooster is a male chicken.
Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

#7 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 03:21 PM

a rooster is a male chicken.

Thanks.

The Folsom Municipal Code doesn't specifically exclude roosters from what I read.

Better?

#8 Robert Giacometti

Robert Giacometti

There are no Dumb questions

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,850 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 04:11 PM

Maybe they will bring you over some fresh eggs once they get settled in.

#9 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 04:43 PM

Some people control the rooster crowing thing by locking their rooster into a dark enclosure until the time of day that it is ok to crow, like- 7am. I have seen people coop their roosters in dog houses with the door closed for this purpose.

#10 25or6to4

25or6to4

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 07:29 PM

Maybe they will bring you over some fresh eggs once they get settled in.

Roosters don't lay eggs. :P
"And the Wind cries Mary"

#11 (The Dude)

(The Dude)
  • Visitors

Posted 18 August 2012 - 08:07 AM

Roosters don't lay eggs. :P

Well played!

#12 EDF

EDF

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,517 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 09:04 AM

Maybe the CCR's will allow the neighbors to do something about it legally... of course that means taking them to court...

#13 The Average Joe

The Average Joe

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 7,155 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 09:12 AM

Invite them over for a bar-be-que... and tell them to bring their rooster...

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive" -- C.S. Lewis

If the only way to combat "global warming" was to lower taxes, we would never hear of the issue again. - Anonymous

"Society in every state is a blessing, but Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one" — Thomas Paine, 𝘊𝘰𝘮𝘮𝘰𝘯 𝘚𝘦𝘯𝘴𝘦 (1776)

#14 giasmom

giasmom

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 02:42 PM

Some people control the rooster crowing thing by locking their rooster into a dark enclosure until the time of day that it is ok to crow, like- 7am. I have seen people coop their roosters in dog houses with the door closed for this purpose.

Yes, thats what we did....It worked for a while but the rooster figured how to open up his hatch, before I knew it, he would be roaming around our backyard and start crowing about 5:30 ish. Im sure it bothered our neighbors, who are our friends, they said they didnt mind.....We gave our chickens to a friend who lives on a farm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users