#16 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 02:03 PM

but how was the food?

I don't go to Karen's for service, since its a counter order instead of a wait staff sort of place.  they do get slammed in the morning, so no doubt they were on the run.  and I always have to go to the counter for a refill on coffee.  if I want a relaxing time, I don't go in when I see a line at the counter.

Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

#17 mrdavex

mrdavex

Superstar

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 794 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 03:09 PM

I go a Karen's 2-3 times per year, and always on a Saturday morning when they are very slammed.  Yes, sometimes the food can take a long time, up to 20 minutes, and they don't always come by to offer refills, but are always happy to do so at the counter.  Haven't had a problem with tables not cleared, but sometimes we've had to wait a few mins for customers to leave before a table becomes free.  Food has always been good.

In general, I've found that bakery-restaurant places like Karen's tend to have slower service.  The counter staff are always juggling taking orders, making coffee drinks, getting goods from the bakery cases, handling phone orders, retrieving take out pickup.   

--
"Let's just hope Comcast doesn't own any tanks."
-Robert X. Cringely

#18 camay2327

camay2327

GO NAVY

• 11,481 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 12:51 AM

but how was the food?

I don't go to Karen's for service, since its a counter order instead of a wait staff sort of place.  they do get slammed in the morning, so no doubt they were on the run.  and I always have to go to the counter for a refill on coffee.  if I want a relaxing time, I don't go in when I see a line at the counter.

The food is always great.

A VETERAN Whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount "up to and including their life". That is HONOR, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -Author unknown-

#19 Sandman

Sandman

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 09:48 AM

Yep old Gold Miner = Granite Rock Grill in Rocklin.  The current is still good but not quite as good as it use to be

#20 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Photography, Travel, Art

Posted 16 January 2015 - 10:32 AM

I heard Early Toast is changing their name - new owners? Anyone been lately?

Travel, food and drink blog by Davehttp://davestravels.tv

#21 mrdavex

mrdavex

Superstar

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 794 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 01:25 PM

I heard Early Toast is changing their name - new owners? Anyone been lately?

I remember that I received a coupon with their new name, but can't remember it.  Google search didn't find anything, and the Early Toast website no longer lists the Folsom location.

--
"Let's just hope Comcast doesn't own any tanks."
-Robert X. Cringely

#22 camay2327

camay2327

GO NAVY

• 11,481 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 05:08 PM

The last time we went to Early Toast, about 6 months ago, I had the chicken fried steak and I think it was the

worst one I have every had anywhere.  Other than that, the other times we went it was OK.

A VETERAN Whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount "up to and including their life". That is HONOR, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -Author unknown-

#23 caligirlz

caligirlz

Living Legend

• 3,163 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 08:48 PM

I wasn't overly impressed with Early Toast. I did enjoy the Willow Cafe. They have gluten free options too.

#24 missteen75

missteen75

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 12:58 PM

We love to go out for breakfast/brunch on the weekend and do it routinely.  Our regular favorite is Purple Place and I would recommend the entire menu!  Occasionally we go to Mexquite where I think the Mexican breakfast items are better than their American ones (as it should be).  Early Toast is pretty good most of the time.  Our fave restaurant for lunch/dinner, Aji in EDH, believe it or not has great Eggs Benedict served on Japanese toast with langoustine lobster instead of ham...and owner Nick makes the hollandaise!  The best Eggs Benedict (other than at home) I have had recently...(it surprised me) was at Mimi's Cafe...great hollandaise and very tender ham/Canadian bacon and fab potatoes!

#25 kcrides99

kcrides99

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 12:44 PM

Sutter Street Grill - Cinnamon Roll French Toast.... AMAZING!

#26 Carl G

Carl G

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 10:04 AM

Sutter Street Grill - Cinnamon Roll French Toast.... AMAZING!

A year ago I would have said the same thing, but I went there over the holidays and they were terrible.  The once think frosting is now a runny, sweet milk based atrocity.  I couldn't even eat it.  Two different workers said "that's how the owner wants it" and from their reactions, I think this dish gets sent back a lot these days.

For me, Sutter Street Grill has jumped the shark.

As a side note, I picked up some cinnamon swirl bread and made my own french toast.  I never got any because my kids ate it all.  SSG has been replaced.

#27 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 10:30 AM

I took my wife out to Karen's Bakery for breakfast this morning, for her Birthday.

They were very busy, as usual, around 8:30 AM. I think the service has really gone

downhill since the last time we were there. It took about 15 minutes to get our order

and they had not even cleared the table before our food got there. A lot of tables

had dirty plates and had not been cleared off before others were sitting down at

the tables.  I seems like they did not have any staff to clear tables and wipe them down.

Normally, the waiter would come by and ask how the food was and would you like

a warm up of your coffee.  NOT.

What is going on there?

I did let the person taking order know what I thought too.

Blink-

I didn't know coffee refills were available there. No one has ever asked me how my meal was, if I need a refill. I always clear my dish and leave on the edge of the table for the waiter there. 

I too, only go a few times a year. Usually just for convenience. I haven't found anything there that I truly love. 

#28 Darth Lefty

Darth Lefty

Disco Infiltrator

• No Politics!
  • 5,578 posts
  • Interests:Volunteer with a service club like Active 20-30, and you CAN make a difference!

Posted 06 February 2015 - 11:29 PM

We go to Ashley's pretty often. The people like us and know us. The food is typical.

We also often go to Coffee Republic. I like the breakfast bistro blt, and the sourdough egg sandwich at the bottom of the menu. The service is disjointed, often slow and occasionally rude, but the food is very good and it's a nice place to sit and people-watch.

We occasionally go to Zia's in EDH. It's a comfortable place. The cappucino is good.

"I enjoy a bit of cooking, and this has always worried me. But it's OK. I only like it because it allows me to play with knives." - James May

Genesis 49:16-17
http://www.active2030folsom.org

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users