11 replies to this topic

#1 aztransplant

aztransplant

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,114 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 08:20 AM

Let me preface this by saying that we are CONSIDERING moving to The Parkway and have had a hard time getting a lot of information. The HOA website is mainly password restricted to residents/members of The Parkway and when my husband stopped by the HOA office and requested to see a copy of the rules he was told he'd get to see a full copy when he buys a house, but just given a little brochure that gave very basic info like no street parking after certain hours and not leaving the garage door up for hours on end. He's planning to swing by and see if he can talk to any residents for more information. So, all that to say, yes, we're doing our "due diligence" before deciding whether or not we want to live there!

On to the current question re the backyard wooden fencing between and behind the houses: what are your experiences with maintaining and replacing these? Yesterday, I drove through one of the neighborhoods with the backyards that slope up toward Blue Ravine and don't have much behind. It's easy to see the backyard wood fences from the street in front. I think these houses were built only five or six years ago, but the fences don't look to be in the greatest shape. They look very dry and in some cases bowing and missing a slat or two. Is this because when the houses were built these fences weren't treated and the homeowners never followed up and treated the wood themselves? Do any of you do regular maintenance and treatment of your wood fences? Have any of your wood fences deteriorated to the point of needing replacement already? What would you say is the average life span and average cost of replacement?

Just trying to get an idea about additional expenses. To replace fencing around an entire yard I would think would cost an arm and a leg. We're used to block walls in AZ -- very low maintenance and they last pretty much forever! But, I doubt the HOA would approve replacing our wooden fencing with cement block!

Thanks for any input. Please be nice. smile.gif

#2 asbestoshills

asbestoshills

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,811 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 08:32 AM

Honestly, you are very detailed oriented.
If it's a common fix, the HOA will decide when/what to do with the fence....
Maybe you should just get a newer home...The old Parkway's construction is basic and some of the windows have issues with leaks. The floorplans aren't special and the New Parkway has playrooms etc....
I think a newer area for you may be the trick..The Old Parkway is just that, OLD...Unless you get someone who has remodeled, chances are the inside of the homes are dated and it will cost to update fixtures and flooring etc..
Americans, don't just come in one color or race.

#3 aztransplant

aztransplant

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,114 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 01:27 PM

Thanks, asbestoshills. "Detail oriented" . . . much kinder than "anal." smile.gif

Re "new" vs. "old": Is The Parkway Phase II (Village D2) considered old? I thought these homes were built in the past 5-6 years? This is the area to which I'm referring re the fencing.

#4 asbestoshills

asbestoshills

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,811 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 03:10 PM

Oh, I thought your were talking about the homes built in the late 90s....Sorry, I'm not sure then.....Anyone else?
Americans, don't just come in one color or race.

#5 MikeinFolsom

MikeinFolsom

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 03:22 PM

We have been in our house now for 6 years. I think the fences look shabby because they are quite dirty. If you take a hose to the fences, they actually come out looking pretty clean and new. The construction methods they used are another issue. You can't put an untreated flatboard on top of the fence as a finish piece and not think it will warp and bend. So where our fence was nice and flat on top when we moved in, now you can see the individual boards as they start to warp on the ends. Stupid construction, but when has a developer ever done everything completely correct?

As for the "rulebook", there are several pages, I'm wondering why they don't have a copy for you to even look at?

#6 (The Dude)

(The Dude)
  • Visitors

Posted 06 August 2009 - 03:28 PM

QUOTE (MikeinFolsom @ Aug 6 2009, 04:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As for the "rulebook", there are several pages, I'm wondering why they don't have a copy for you to even look at?

don't wanna scare off potential buyers?

#7 MikeinFolsom

MikeinFolsom

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 03:08 PM

I dunno.....I haven't really ran into a rule that would have made me not move into here. 95% of the rules they have are to keep to houses looking nice. No one can park a 1972 Gremlin on the street in front of their house in the hopes that one day "I'm gonna get this thing looking and running like new".....that kind of stuff.

#8 aztransplant

aztransplant

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,114 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 03:25 PM

Thanks all. For various reasons, we don't feel like The Parkway is for us. I appreciate your time and feedback though! smile.gif

#9 tammotsie

tammotsie

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 09:28 PM

Just curious, where is the HOA website? I've been looking all day on the internet, and have not found it. Any help would be very appreciated.

Thanks wacko.gif

#10 aztransplant

aztransplant

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,114 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 07:03 AM

QUOTE (tammotsie @ Sep 21 2009, 10:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just curious, where is the HOA website? I've been looking all day on the internet, and have not found it. Any help would be very appreciated.

Thanks wacko.gif

A Yahoo! search for +"The Parkway" +Folsom + Homeowners brought me here:
http://www.parkwayhoa.org/

Hope this helps. You must be a current member of the HOA to access most of this site.

#11 petes334

petes334

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 11:24 AM

Thanks for that link. I was looking for it and thought I bookmarked it from before.
Trying to remodel my home with soapstone vermont.

#12 Folsom Guy

Folsom Guy

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 3,311 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 03:59 PM

QUOTE (aztransplant @ Aug 7 2009, 03:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks all. For various reasons, we don't feel like The Parkway is for us. I appreciate your time and feedback though! smile.gif

The area that backs up to Blue Ravine was built 10-15 years ago

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users