5 replies to this topic

#1 Tan's mom

Tan's mom

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 08:40 AM

We are new here and just discovered we cannot leave dry dog food out for our dog. How does everyone handle this ? Is it just a matter of not leaving any out for free feeding ? or are there special dog feeders ? Sorry if this is a no brainer for most here, we were just shocked to see them out back and they much be very full today!

#2 MrsTuffPaws

MrsTuffPaws

Crazy Lady

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,390 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 08:43 AM

Either have regular scheduled feedings that your dog can eat in one sitting, or feed inside. If for whatever reason you just can't do this, then at the very least bring in the dog food at night. As far as special feeders, I know they make them, but not sure if any are raccoon proof.

#3 legofamily

legofamily

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts
  • Interests:Reading
    Hiking
    Photography
    Sports
    Science

Posted 17 March 2010 - 10:05 AM

We have had lots of raccoon visitors in the past. Now we either keep the food inside or leave the food out during the day and bring the food in at night. This seems to keep them away. I started bringing in the water too at night. The raccoons would wash their paws in the water, even if there wasn't any food outside, kind of like a calling card or something.

#4 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 11:10 AM

Owning more than one dog prevents the problem. The dogs will consume their bowl just to be sure the other dogs don't so no leftovers for Mr. Racoon.
I would rather be Backpacking

#5 old soldier

old soldier

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,715 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 06:28 AM

QUOTE (Bill Z @ Mar 17 2010, 12:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Owning more than one dog prevents the problem. The dogs will consume their bowl just to be sure the other dogs don't so no leftovers for Mr. Racoon.

here is the situation...you have dog food in a bowl in your garage you hear a noise and go out in the middle of the night and see a big coon....you are in fear of your life and it coon is inside your house....is it ok to shoot the darn coon?

#6 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 07:38 AM

QUOTE (old soldier @ Mar 18 2010, 07:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
here is the situation...you have dog food in a bowl in your garage you hear a noise and go out in the middle of the night and see a big coon....you are in fear of your life and it coon is inside your house....is it ok to shoot the darn coon?

I would with a pellet gun. I wouldn't want to risk having one of my firearms confiscated for discharging it within ciy limits over a pesky raccoon. Also, I wouldn't want to risk vehicle damage from a ricochet off the concrete floor in my garage, my cars are more valuable than any amount of food a pesky raccoon can eat.

As you might notice, I wouldn't be in fear for my life if I saw a raccoon, so it's hard for me to imagine reacting in a "fear for my life" manner. I suppose if one made it inside my home and it was frothing at the mouth (sign of having rabies), I could see myself getting the small .410 gauge shotgun and taking care of business.
I would rather be Backpacking

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users