2 replies to this topic

#1 Mossy

Mossy

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:17 PM

Does anyone's child go to HolyTrinity and iif so can you give me the good and bad. The classroom sizes scare me. 35-38 per class with a teacher and full time aide.

#2 jpow5

jpow5

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 11:33 PM

I do not have specific experience with Holy Trinity, but since no one responded to your last topic on this, I'll give you my opinion. We have had children in both Catholic schools and public schools. In my experience as a Catholic parent, it really depends on why you are choosing private/Catholic school for your child(ren).

Since most Catholic schools do not take the same STAR test as the public schools and don't release their other test scores, it's sometimes difficult to gauge how good they are academically. I'm assuming Holy Trinity graduates are successful high school students whether they attend a public HS or one of the area Catholic high schools or you would not be considering it.

As far as faith formation, nothing beats the daily re-enforcement the students receive attending a Catholic school. The daily prayers, weekly masses, cross-curricular lessons, service projects, behavior/disciplinary standards, etc. all support Catholic values that are being taught at home. Weekly one-hour R.E. classes cannot even compare.

As for your concern on the larger class size, having the full-time aide in effect made the student-teacher ratio lower than our public school option. As an example, in a school with one teacher but a smaller class size, if one student needs help or is disruptive, the teacher usually stops teaching the other students in order to address the situation, taking away from instructional time. In a school with an aide, the aide can help that student(s) without impacting the teaching time. In addition, our school would often split the class into groups of 18. Each group would get instruction time with the teacher and then would complete assignments under the supervision of the aide.

On the other hand, in our experience, the smaller Catholic school was not as well equipped to handle students that would benefit from specialized instruction. They just don't have the resources that public schools do. If your student has special needs that require an IEP or is a Gifted-and-Talented student, you should make sure you understand what the school can and cannot offer/accommodate.

Hope this helps a little and good luck with your decision. I know it can be a difficult given the high quality public school choices available in this area.

#3 Mossy

Mossy

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 09:06 PM

I do not have specific experience with Holy Trinity, but since no one responded to your last topic on this, I'll give you my opinion. We have had children in both Catholic schools and public schools. In my experience as a Catholic parent, it really depends on why you are choosing private/Catholic school for your child(ren).

Since most Catholic schools do not take the same STAR test as the public schools and don't release their other test scores, it's sometimes difficult to gauge how good they are academically. I'm assuming Holy Trinity graduates are successful high school students whether they attend a public HS or one of the area Catholic high schools or you would not be considering it.

As far as faith formation, nothing beats the daily re-enforcement the students receive attending a Catholic school. The daily prayers, weekly masses, cross-curricular lessons, service projects, behavior/disciplinary standards, etc. all support Catholic values that are being taught at home. Weekly one-hour R.E. classes cannot even compare.

As for your concern on the larger class size, having the full-time aide in effect made the student-teacher ratio lower than our public school option. As an example, in a school with one teacher but a smaller class size, if one student needs help or is disruptive, the teacher usually stops teaching the other students in order to address the situation, taking away from instructional time. In a school with an aide, the aide can help that student(s) without impacting the teaching time. In addition, our school would often split the class into groups of 18. Each group would get instruction time with the teacher and then would complete assignments under the supervision of the aide.

On the other hand, in our experience, the smaller Catholic school was not as well equipped to handle students that would benefit from specialized instruction. They just don't have the resources that public schools do. If your student has special needs that require an IEP or is a Gifted-and-Talented student, you should make sure you understand what the school can and cannot offer/accommodate.

Hope this helps a little and good luck with your decision. I know it can be a difficult given the high quality public school choices available in this area.

Thank you so very much for your view. Love it! My husband and I both went to catholic school and felt we had a good education but I had issues with the catholic church and still do but that is another story. I value though the cohesiveness that you mentioned which public school doesn't offer. I heard good things about Holy Trinity but also read not good things on greatschools.org. In your opinion which did you prefer...catholic or public? My daughter is gifted but also requires speech so those are things that I have to keep in mind.

We are going to their open house in Jan. I hope more parents who send their children there can respond as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users