• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Shelter Zero

Shelter Zero

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 01:55 PM

For the last 15 years, my family and friends and I have been operating small haunted house projects on Trowbridge Lane in Lexington Hills. If you're from around there, you've probably seen or heard us scaring the daylights out of hundreds of kids every October 31st (and playing nicely with the really little ones) with our "zombie survival shelter," Shelter Zero. It was a project I began when I was thirteen and considered myself "too cool" for trick-or-treating, but still wanted to be involved in my favorite holiday. At first we had to practically bribe people to trek up the hill with the promise of handfuls of candy or the direction of a friend literally juggling fire on the corner to draw attention, but our traffic in the last few years has gotten heavy enough that we can barely keep up!

But we're older now. Most of us are in our late 20s and early 30s now, and we're busy starting families of our own or pursuing job opportunities in the Bay or elsewhere. Those of us living in the area are still going to try to put on a show this year, but frankly we may not have the manpower necessary to live up to our standards.

We've come to the conclusion that we'd like to start bringing what we've learned about haunts to a new generation of Halloween-lovers: creative, enthusiastic kids like we once were who love the holiday and want to do something special for it. We're looking for three to five young volunteers who'd like to learn how to design, build, and operate a neighborhood-scale haunted house, and / or join our crew of costumed actors who (safely!) terrify our guests as they try to reach "Shelter Zero."

Our projects are suitable for kids aged ten and up, in the late elementary- and middle-school range. We've had some impromptu volunteers in the past (with an especially great group of middle-schoolers who showed up out of the blue last year) and we find that age range has just the right combination of infectious enthusiasm needed to get involved, plus the sense of responsibility needed to work carefully and safely with the rest of the crew and our guests. We certainly won't turn away older kids who are interested and would work well with our team though, or younger ones who are particularly mature and conscientious for their age.

We'd especially like to work with families who live in the Lexington Hills area, since we feel like this is passing on a local tradition, but we're happy to have anyone who can make it out to that area.

If you'd like to know more or if you know kids who would be interested in a creative, teamwork-driven project in a family-friendly environment that will meet periodically during October, we'd love to hear from you. I'm happy to field questions here, by e-mail at shelterzeroproject AT gmail.com, or send a private message or e-mail to arrange a phone conversation or an in-person meeting.

Thanks, and have a great Halloween!

CnSNdTV.jpg

#2 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,361 posts
  • Interests:Sole proprietor: Tailored Resume Services
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 11 September 2013 - 04:59 PM

You lost all credibility when you said, "But we're older now. Most of us are in our late 20s and early 30s now...."

HA

Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child
Making a Difference in the Life of Abused and Neglected Children in Foster Care
http://www.sacramentocasa.org/

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

#3 Shelter Zero

Shelter Zero

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 05:55 PM

Older compared to our bright-eyed teen selves ;)

We're young folks in the grand scheme of things, but old and settled enough that we all have lives and commitments that keep us from doing what we did in years past. Half of us are married and have little ones of our own now or on the way, and all of us are settled in to jobs with responsibilities that get more demanding every year. Much as we'd like to pretend we're all still in high school and have all the time in the world, the reality is that it's time for us to look for people for whom that is actually true who we can show the ropes.

#4 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,361 posts
  • Interests:Sole proprietor: Tailored Resume Services
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 11 September 2013 - 05:57 PM

Older compared to our bright-eyed teen selves ;)

We're young folks in the grand scheme of things, but old and settled enough that we all have lives and commitments that keep us from doing what we did in years past. Half of us are married and have little ones of our own now or on the way, and all of us are settled in to jobs with responsibilities that get more demanding every year. Much as we'd like to pretend we're all still in high school and have all the time in the world, the reality is that it's time for us to look for people for whom that is actually true who we can show the ropes.

I'm just playing with you. I think it's pretty cool that you've done this for so long.

Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child
Making a Difference in the Life of Abused and Neglected Children in Foster Care
http://www.sacramentocasa.org/

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

#5 Shelter Zero

Shelter Zero

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 06:36 PM

I'm just playing with you. I think it's pretty cool that you've done this for so long.

Thanks. It's become such a neighborhood staple and we get so much positive feedback year after year that it's hard to imagine not doing it, and we really don't want to let people down.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: halloween, volunteering, kids, lexington hills

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users