262 replies to this topic

#31 rlsliger

rlsliger

Superstar

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 02:47 PM

I'm okay with the current name although no matter what it's called I can't think of a single conversation where I would actually have to say the name.

I'll just be glad when it's finished so we can start using it.

#32 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 02:55 PM

QUOTE(rlsliger @ Jul 14 2008, 02:47 PM) View Post
I'm okay with the current name although no matter what it's called I can't think of a single conversation where I would actually have to say the name.

I'll just be glad when it's finished so we can start using it.

I can imagine tourists right now driving up there and standing next to a sign saying, "Johnny Cash Memorial Bridge" with the prison behind them in the photo. That would be a neat vista spot. Isn't there a sitting deck out in the middle of the span. It's going to have outrageous views up and down the canyon. Have you ever seen how many people walk out on the Foresthill Bridge just to check out the view? I really think its got the potential to be a tourist attraction. Might as well play it up for all its worth! A memorial plaque or signage on the downstream bridge viewing deck about Cash would be really neat, along with some history of the prison. The upstream side could have history on the dam and Folsom Lake. It will probably mean less to residents than it would to visitors. I know I will definately take visitors out there to check it out. In fact, I already have and its not even built yet! Come on, people, this is your town and that is one heck of a bridge!!
Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

#33 folsombound

folsombound

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,040 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 03:33 PM

QUOTE(4thgenFolsomite @ Jul 14 2008, 03:55 PM) View Post
I can imagine tourists right now driving up there and standing next to a sign saying, "Johnny Cash Memorial Bridge" with the prison behind them in the photo. That would be a neat vista spot. Isn't there a sitting deck out in the middle of the span. It's going to have outrageous views up and down the canyon. Have you ever seen how many people walk out on the Foresthill Bridge just to check out the view? I really think its got the potential to be a tourist attraction. Might as well play it up for all its worth! A memorial plaque or signage on the downstream bridge viewing deck about Cash would be really neat, along with some history of the prison. The upstream side could have history on the dam and Folsom Lake. It will probably mean less to residents than it would to visitors. I know I will definately take visitors out there to check it out. In fact, I already have and its not even built yet! Come on, people, this is your town and that is one heck of a bridge!!

That being the case, it seems like it needs a more impressive name than the Johnnie Cash Bridge. How about the "American River Canyon Bridge"! Folsom's history goes back to the Gold Rush. It seems like there must be more and better historical stuff than Johnnie Cash singing at Folsom Prison.

#34 mylo

mylo

Mmm.. Tomato

• 16,763 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 03:40 PM

How about Lake Havasu Crossing?
"Ah, yes, those Gucci extremists and their Prada jihad!" --ducky

#35 Darth Lefty

Darth Lefty

Disco Infiltrator

• No Politics!
  • 5,578 posts
  • Interests:Volunteer with a service club like Active 20-30, and you CAN make a difference!

Posted 14 July 2008 - 03:49 PM

QUOTE(mylo @ Jul 14 2008, 04:40 PM) View Post
How about Lake Havasu Crossing?

Because that's the one they tore down to put up London Bridge
"I enjoy a bit of cooking, and this has always worried me. But it's OK. I only like it because it allows me to play with knives." - James May

Genesis 49:16-17
http://www.active2030folsom.org

#36 Nancy

Nancy

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 03:54 PM

So, this isn't a good time to bring up the fact that "Lake Natoma" is just a wide spot in the American River?

That's always bugged the heck out of me. I find comfort in knowing that there's got to be some sort of a geological reason why "Lake Natoma" is in fact technically a lake. (Fill me in if you know the details.) But really. It's not a lake. It's a wide spot in the river.

So a bridge called Folsom Lake Crossing that doesn't cross Folsom Lake is just about perfect for a town with a wide spot in the river called a lake.

I'm in the anything but Folsom Lake Crossing camp too. That name is just ridiculous. It also doesn't reflect well on the intellegence of a town that is already best known for its prison.

I kind of like 4thgen's idea of a tourist spot for people to take a picture.

Although "Carl" is growing on me too...

Nancy

#37 Darth Lefty

Darth Lefty

Disco Infiltrator

• No Politics!
  • 5,578 posts
  • Interests:Volunteer with a service club like Active 20-30, and you CAN make a difference!

Posted 14 July 2008 - 04:09 PM

It's got a dam, that makes it a reservoir, if you want to be picky. But it's for flow control rather than storage.
"I enjoy a bit of cooking, and this has always worried me. But it's OK. I only like it because it allows me to play with knives." - James May

#38 Andrea V

Andrea V

Girl ur mom warned u about!

• Premium Member
  • 5,657 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 05:44 PM

I'm still calling it Johnny Cash Bridge! tongue.gif
<3

#39 Folsom Guy

Folsom Guy

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 3,311 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 05:49 PM

QUOTE(SacKen @ Jul 14 2008, 03:42 PM) View Post
I agree the current name is idiotic, but I'm with the "who cares, just cut the ribbon" group. Frankly, I'd prefer that they sell the rights to some company for a few million a year (or whatever naming rights are going for these days). The bridge is functional regardless of its name. Might as well pad the Folsom coffers!

Amen to that

#40 folsombound

folsombound

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 4,040 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 07:37 PM

QUOTE(Folsom Guy @ Jul 14 2008, 06:49 PM) View Post
Amen to that

If it would reduce my property taxes I'm all for "Coca Cola Bridge"! tongue.gif

#41 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 07:54 PM

Apparently, KFBK did a poll today during R.E. Graswich's segment and the Johnny Cash Bridge name won. I tried finding it on KFBK's site but couldn't. Some guy won $373 for guessing the outcome of the poll.

#42 Nancy

Nancy

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 08:33 PM

QUOTE(Darth Lefty @ Jul 14 2008, 05:09 PM) View Post
It's got a dam, that makes it a reservoir, if you want to be picky. But it's for flow control rather than storage.

What, me picky? tongue.gif Thanks for the answer. Now I get it. It's always bugged me, but not enough to ask anybody.

#43 mylo

mylo

Mmm.. Tomato

• 16,763 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 08:38 PM

QUOTE(ducky @ Jul 14 2008, 08:54 PM) View Post
Apparently, KFBK did a poll today during R.E. Graswich's segment and the Johnny Cash Bridge name won. I tried finding it on KFBK's site but couldn't. Some guy won $373 for guessing the outcome of the poll.

Aww, I did a quick google for KFBK and found this instead. Brings back some memories...

http://bbslist.textfiles.com/916/
"Ah, yes, those Gucci extremists and their Prada jihad!" --ducky

#44 Darth Lefty

Darth Lefty

Disco Infiltrator

• No Politics!
  • 5,578 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 05:57 AM

Latest name idea: "Super Robot Bridge Team Hyperforce Go Go Go"

#45 ngilbert

ngilbert

Rainbow Bridge Troll

• Premium Member
  • 5,368 posts
  • Interests:filling out questionaires

Posted 15 July 2008 - 06:02 AM

QUOTE(Darth Lefty @ Jul 15 2008, 06:57 AM) View Post
Latest name idea: "Super Robot Bridge Team Hyperforce Go Go Go"

It sounds Japanese. I like it!
"Here's the last toast of the evening: Here's to those who still believe. All the losers will be winners, all the givers will receive. Here's to trouble-free tomorrows, may your sorrows all be small. Here's to the losers: bless them all
Sinatra "Here's to the Losers"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users