47 replies to this topic

#31 leenda

leenda

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 06:46 PM

Yvonne: Your creations sound like you really know what you're doing -- you really seem to be pleasing the crowd!!!

I sort of got hooked into planning another retirement party (:-( -- I'm so sick of it.)....but I'd like to be able to touch bases with you to see if you could possibly help us (me) out here!!!! Mind if I give a call to the numbers you left on the forum for your previous customers? We're looking at sometime in December -- and thank gawd I'm not the primary coordinator on this party -- just the cake this time----

Also, just out of curiosity....do you know how to make a St. Honore Cake? (not for THIS particular event...) But, I moved up here in '94 from the Bay Area and there used to be a little hole in the wall bakery on the Peninsula that made killer St. Honore Cakes. When I first got to Folsom and tried to find someone in the Sacramento vicinity to make one for a special occasion, no one had a clue. Finally, in '95, I found one of the staff at the bakery at VIC's IGA Market up in American River Canyon who knew what this cake was all about and produced a pretty decent version of it. But she was gone a year later and I just can't seem to find ANYONE around this locale who knows what it is, how delicious it is, or how to make it (and I don't bake---just cook.....)

Here'e a link to a basic recipe for the cake. There are other recipes out there on the internet. I'm not sure what's best, but my memories of the BEST cakes had little tiny crunchy toffee candy in some part of the cake or filling(s). The BEST part of the whole cake, of course, were the little cream puffs on top of the cake.

http://www.dianasdes.../476/Recipe.cfm

So, please let me know your readout on this. (Obviously, just thinking about a taste of this cake puts 20 pounds on each thigh!!!!!!! Weight Watchers HERE I COME!!!! ) Thanks so much. Linda

#32 Warren G

Warren G

Fancy Title goes here

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 09:21 PM

It looks like it would take time, but nothing out of the ordinary. You can make the superfine sugar with regular sugar pulsed in your food processor. Looks tasty and good for a special occasion.
"Is that your bike? It sure looks fast."

#33 Warren G

Warren G

Fancy Title goes here

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 09:27 PM

CW68, great job on the football cake- a nice gift.
"Is that your bike? It sure looks fast."

#34 traceyl

traceyl

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 11:05 AM

Another glowing review for Creative Cakes! She made a Diva cake, on short notice, for my daughter's 5th bday! I was absolutely adorable and my daughter just loved it... as did all at the party.

I will post a pic when I get them uploaded.

#35 sat

sat

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 12:32 PM

Again, another glowing recommendation for Creative Cakes...Yvonne did the cake for our season-end soccer party, and it was a hit. Not only did the cake look great, but it was yummy, also!

#36 traceyl

traceyl

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 12:54 PM

QUOTE(sat @ Nov 12 2007, 12:32 PM) View Post
Again, another glowing recommendation for Creative Cakes...Yvonne did the cake for our season-end soccer party, and it was a hit. Not only did the cake look great, but it was yummy, also!

Was that yours?? I saw it sitting there when I picked up Abbey's on Sunday. It was gorgeous. There was also a Jo-Jo's Circus cake that was just adorable!!!

#37 gm2005

gm2005

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 803 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 07:06 PM

Jojo was ours. It was adorable. We loved it and it was a great hit.

#38 maggiesmom

maggiesmom

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 07:23 PM

Hi. My daughter will be 6 in 2 weeks and she wants a cake that looks like a present all wrapped up. This will be the cake that we eat on her actual birthday, so it will only need to be for about 6 people. Does that sound like something that you can do?

#39 sat

sat

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 07:42 PM

QUOTE(traceyl @ Nov 12 2007, 12:54 PM) View Post
Was that yours?? I saw it sitting there when I picked up Abbey's on Sunday. It was gorgeous. There was also a Jo-Jo's Circus cake that was just adorable!!!

Yeah, that must have been our cake, as we picked it up Sunday, also. My only complaint is that there were no leftovers! Our party went through an entire 1/2 sheet cake. Not only the kids, but the adults also, were coming back for seconds.

#40 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,361 posts
  • Interests:Sole proprietor: Tailored Resume Services
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 12 November 2007 - 07:42 PM

QUOTE(cw68 @ Nov 5 2007, 09:47 AM) View Post
Very cool!

I'm not much of a baker, but my son's b-day cake turned out great yesterday, have to brag for a minute:

Great job! Wow.
Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child
Making a Difference in the Life of Abused and Neglected Children in Foster Care
http://www.sacramentocasa.org/

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

#41 Andrea V

Andrea V

Girl ur mom warned u about!

• Premium Member
  • 5,657 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 07:27 PM

These are all really cool cakes!!! Keep the pictures coming! specool.gif
<3

#42 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 12:48 PM

nico--I am gonna need a cake for my boys B-Day again this year.

The end of march.

Are you still making cakes?

#43 ryandlomom

ryandlomom

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 10:00 PM

Are you still making children's cakes? If so, I'm looking to have a monster truck cake made for my son. Can you help?

#44 GoodFellas

GoodFellas

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts
  • Interests: Great food and even better wine!

Posted 29 May 2008 - 06:49 PM

QUOTE(ryandlomom @ May 28 2008, 11:00 PM) View Post
Are you still making children's cakes? If so, I'm looking to have a monster truck cake made for my son. Can you help?

Hi- I just sent you a pm. I will make sure and pass on to Yvonne!

#45 FolsomMomof2

FolsomMomof2

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 09:05 PM

QUOTE(nicoandmiasmom @ Mar 5 2007, 09:01 PM) View Post
I make custom cakes for any special event! I will help you design a cake or you can bring me your ideas and I also have photos of cakes I made. I specialize on kid's cakes but can make other cakes for other events. All cakes are customized according to your specifications. Please contact me for any questions. Thanks!

Hi! I just found you on here...I am last minute as usual, but am looking for a ladybug cake for this coming Sunday. It's my daughter's 1st birthday and we are doing a ladybug theme (our little 'lady')! If you get this in time, can you give me a call at 508-0025. Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users