20 replies to this topic

#16 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 03:15 PM

You told Dave Burrell to use a disabled box at his address. Are you under the impression that he is elderly or disabled? 

yes i am dear. 

#17 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 07 December 2014 - 10:19 PM

Dave is neither elderly nor disabled, unless you consider a weakness for good food and beer a disability.
Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

#18 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Photography, Travel, Art

Posted 08 December 2014 - 01:43 PM

yes i am dear. 

Whaaa???  :blink:   :old: 

That's cool the PO will do door deliveries for the elderly and disabled, but I don't qualify and hope I don't for decades to come. 

Dave is neither elderly nor disabled, unless you consider a weakness for good food and beer a disability.

Thanks!  :xmastree:

Travel, food and drink blog by Davehttp://davestravels.tv

#19 Walnut

Walnut

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 08:17 PM

There was a disheartening article in the Telegraph today...

http://www.folsomtel...l-theft-problem

My takeaways:

• The post office hasn't done anything
  • The city council "has been proactive in reaching out to the postal inspector to identify what tools we have in our toolbox to address the situation" which is classic bureaucratic speek for "not doing much"  (Three tired euphamisms in one sentence!!  Being proactive, reaching out, and tools in the toolbox.  You gotta take special training to do that.)
  • The police "want our citizens to be aware of any potential theft that might happen and do what they can to protect themselves and their neighbors." which means they're not doing anything either.

If this article is to be taken at face value, then basically no one is doing much of anything.   Except the one woman interviewed as trying to get someone to do something, bless her heart.

Which I guess leads to the question of what we could expect any of these three groups (or any other group) to do.   I can't think of anything.

Who owns the boxes? Who is responsible for (paying for) fixing them when they're vandalized?  Until the cost of doing that exceeds the cost of preventing the vandalism in the first place...  Because the box owners won't bear the cost of identity theft, stolen merchandise, or washed checks, the postal customers will.

The police can't watch every community box in town.  That's too much to ask of them, I agree.  (Though, wouldn't that be a plum assignment?  Surveiling a mailbox?)

The city council doesn't really have this in their charter.  I suppose (as the aforementioned heart-blessed woman suggests) they could change code to demand more secure mailboxes, but who would pay for that?  How much would that be argued against? 

Are we just screwed here?  Short of some homeowner happening to see a license plate or capture the perp on their security camera?

It's the outgoing mail that's being stolen, because that's the easiest place to get a crowbar into and pry open.  The one thing we can do is not send our mail that way, but instead drop it off somewhere more secure.  Or at least don't put it into the slot until the morning, assuming theft is more likely to occur at night.

#20 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 09:21 PM

private mailboxes are the responsibility of the homeowner. boxes in apartments and in hoa usually are manager or hoa responsibility. street-side community boxes usually fall under purview of PO--for maintenance. In cases of theft-vandalism-it is supposed to be the responsibility of a criminal investigator from the post master office. mainly because mail crime falls under federal jurisdiction. So blame the congressman in the local area for not paying attention to crime in your region. send them a lovely letter and ask them why the feds can use a computer to remotely fly a plane thousands of miles away and land a bomb up a fleas bum-but they cant find a few meth heads wit stolen mail in their own backyard

#21 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 05:43 PM

So, has anyone gotten their mail stolen who lives on oak ave?  A bunch of mail on the side of the road. The addresses all say orangevale though. It looks like some of them actually had burn marks on them. I wonder if a mail man was smoking in his car and drop ashes on some mail. They were different addresses.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users