86 replies to this topic

#76 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 12:21 PM

Absoultely I will tell anyone to funk off. Your emotions and the way you  handle yourself is not my responsibility. A volunteer getting a hard on for authoritarianism in school parking lot is a miniature hitler teaching kids bad social skills. 

The only thing anyone in a school parking lot needs to worry about is just going slow and understand that everyone around you is still thinking about work, school, the dogs vet bill, what to make for dinner, why the client refused to sign, why the hell the kid hasn't gotten to the car yet...

So relax. 

Dont worry about others. 

You got enough on your own plate

#77 TruthSeeker

TruthSeeker

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 12:28 PM

<Shrug> I would have told the voldunteer to go eff off. If I need to talk to someone real quick and then get in my car and safely drive off---thats what im going to do.

When a parent and a car becomes a problem is when they get impatient, font use blinkers, move quickly through a parking lot, or flip U-eys to avoid a line.

People really need to take a fricking chill pill in those parking lots.

I believe the whole idea of a drop off zone is just that, a place to drop off your child, NOT to be a place to park and chat

Just saying...

Svzr2FS.jpg

#78 TruthSeeker

TruthSeeker

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 12:38 PM

Absoultely I will tell anyone to funk off. Your emotions and the way you  handle yourself is not my responsibility. A volunteer getting a hard on for authoritarianism in school parking lot is a miniature hitler teaching kids bad social skills. 

The only thing anyone in a school parking lot needs to worry about is just going slow and understand that everyone around you is still thinking about work, school, the dogs vet bill, what to make for dinner, why the client refused to sign, why the hell the kid hasn't gotten to the car yet...

So do we have this right?.. the rules (drop off zone only, no parking) do not apply to you, only to everyone else? 

Svzr2FS.jpg

#79 cw68

cw68

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 10,370 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 12:49 PM

So relax. 

Dont worry about others. 

I think doing whatever the h*ll you want and telling a volunteer to eff off around kids is setting a bad example and teaching poor social skills. Again, this "I can do whatever the f I want" attitude is what is causing the problem.

Not to mention, we aren't talking about a school parking lot here, we are talking about a roadway in a residential neighborhood that is governed by the CVC like any other road in Folsom.

You can't just decide what fire lane or drop-off zone you want to pay attention to, you can't just randomly decide to stop in the middle of the road, or pull into the opposing lane alongside of two other cars and let out your passengers.

But I'm done here. You obviously put yourself above everyone else and think you always know best. I'm done talking to the hand, or in your case, the finger.

#80 tony

tony

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,396 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 01:22 PM

So relax. 

Dont worry about others. 

Like I said much earlier in this thread, until there is commitment by all involved, the situation will never get better. Clearly there are those who do not feel the need to cooperate for the safety of all the kids, not just their own.

Reminds me of an incident back at Oak Chan in the late 90s. Parents complained about speeding in the neighborhood at drop-off and pick-up.  So the police did some targeted enforcement. And who got all the speeding tickets?  Yep, school parents!  FPD just needs to do it more often, because clearly our upscale community has a lot of slow learners.

#81 Carl G

Carl G

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 02:30 PM

So relax. 

Dont worry about others. 

We all need to be clear here - The principal of the school assigned the yard duty to watch over the loading zone.  How do I know that?  I saw it happen and I saw the principal showing what he wanted.

Again, just to be clear, the problem is largely with parents who park their cars and then walk the child(ren) to class or go to the office... and parents who sit in their car for minutes on end for no apparent reason thus taking up a scarce spot.  These two things often result in parents who are truly just dropping off to double-park so their child can make it to school.  Here we are on page six of this thread and the solution is so simple - if you want to walk your child on campus, park in the many other places to park like across the street or down Ashcat away from the school, or along Turn Pike, or along Natoma Station street.  There are what I would guess as about eight spots worth of street set aside for loading and unloading.  If you want to do something other than these two items, just park somewhere else.

Why do I worry about others?  Because it is plainly clear many don't care about me, my wife, or my children's safety.  

#82 cw68

cw68

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 10,370 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 02:33 PM

Well said, Carl G.

#83 Rich_T

Rich_T

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,728 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 03:41 PM

I'll never forget last school year on one of the mornings that a motorcycle officer was patrolling the drop off war zone.  I approached the school down Ashcat and stopped in one of the 3-4 safe spaces to drop off my son.  I normally stop for only 20 seconds before giving the spot to the next parent.  As I pulled out to continue down Ashcat towards Turnpike, the bus turned on it's flashing lights and extended it's STOP sign. Of course, I stopped.  Wow, it was chaos. Only once while driving in Manila was I more afraid than I was that day on Ashcat.  Almost immediately I was met with blaring horns and cars zooming around me to pass both my car and also pass the flashing school bus. I saw the dark side of people that morning as they glared at me, yelled at me, and showed me several fingers as they drove by me to pass the bus. Honestly, I was tempted to pass the flashing lights myself because I thought it might be a safer option for the kids.  Luckily, the motorcycle officer saw this and he came to my rescue. He stayed in the area literally shouting to drivers behind me that the bus had it's lights on. I was never happier to see a bus turn off it's lights so I could proceed to a safe location. I wanted to thank the officer publicly, so I wrote a letter to the Telegraph that day and they printed it.

We can do better.

I appreciate your action in that situation, and can't imagine doing otherwise.

(I don't know about the motorcycle officer, though - he might be the same infamous one who exists to fill revenue quotas by writing tickets for anyone who doesn't stop for at least several seconds at the stop sign before turning.  Is he still doing that these days, I wonder, or is everyone onto his shtick by now?)

#84 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 05:46 PM

So do we have this right?.. the rules (drop off zone only, no parking) do not apply to you, only to everyone else? 

A) I dont ever do that

B) I aint gonna worry about it happening. It really doesn happen all that often. 

C) what does happen more offten is mommie dearests holding up the line refusing to roll around the block because their pudgy wudgies wont get to he curb quick enough

#85 Carl G

Carl G

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 06:18 PM

A) I dont ever do that

B) I aint gonna worry about it happening. It really doesn happen all that often. 

C) what does happen more offten is mommie dearests holding up the line refusing to roll around the block because their pudgy wudgies wont get to he curb quick enough

I'll have to watch a bit closer, but I would say that every day there are multiple parents who park in the yellow zone.  Part of the issue is the yellow zone is fairly close to the kindergarten classes so it is not that uncommon for these parents to park there then walk the munchkins up to class.  In fact, that is exactly what happened this morning that redman reported.  The other thing that happens is that the child forgets something in the car so the parent tries to catch up with them to give it to them.

#86 cw68

cw68

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 10,370 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 07:09 PM

I'll have to watch a bit closer, but I would say that every day there are multiple parents who park in the yellow zone.  Part of the issue is the yellow zone is fairly close to the kindergarten classes so it is not that uncommon for these parents to park there then walk the munchkins up to class.  In fact, that is exactly what happened this morning that redman reported.  The other thing that happens is that the child forgets something in the car so the parent tries to catch up with them to give it to them.

It does happen every day and has for the nine years I've been around the school on a regular basis.

#87 redman

redman

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 08 March 2015 - 10:00 PM

Watching the debate play out on this forum just reinforces my belief that the school needs to set very clear guidelines, publish and distribute them, and ask the volunteers to do nothing more than remind people what those published rules are. I'm not sure why someone would want the thankless job of being a volunteer if they are just going to catch a bunch of flak all the time. Make things clear so there's no debate anymore. How hard can it be?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users