Photo
- - - - -

Is There A Way To Appeal Transitional Kindergarten In Fcusd?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#31 bordercolliefan

bordercolliefan

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,596 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 07:38 PM

I would be hesitant to enroll a child in kindergarten if I thought it likely they would have to repeat.  They do make friends and even at that age, it would not be easy to see all one's classmates advance a grade and be left behind. 

If it unexpectedly turns out to be necessary, that's okay -- then the parents/teachers will deal with any fall-out.  But planning ahead of time that your child will repeat kindergarten twice... not good.   

#32 doj_gal

doj_gal

MyFolsom's Back at it Kid!

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 11:21 AM

This happened to not only my son but me as well. I will give you my personal opinion.

I still remember my friends going to first grade and I had to remain in the same class with the same teacher. I didn't understand why I wasn't able to advance. Although I was incredibly intelligent, my social skills were lacking. The kindergarten teacher pressured my mother to hold me back. She did and she regretted it. My birthday was Oct 2. So I entered kindergarten 4 turning 5.

I can tell you that in Jr. High and High school that year was a huge difference. I rarely hung out with people in my grade and was quite annoyed with my class members. I loved high school but that year of difference of me being 18 almost 19, not 17 almost 18 was quite evident.

My son turned 5 on October 30th. While he is quite smart, I do not feel that he is mature-social enough or advanced enough to go to kindergarten. He is also a smaller boy. There were many reasons to keep him in his t-k class. I do see other children, much more advanced than my child, who socialize well, follow directions and overall should be in kinder.

To my knowledge, this is a situation that cannot be fought. I understand being bored all day. I went through many days like that in high school. It just will prepare them for life. Don't rush them through school but also do not hold them back! :)

#33 ashleyrains

ashleyrains

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 02:29 AM

These laws are different in every state and are totally absurd. Like, if some kids are mentally strong to study, then should be permitted to attend kindergarten. They would do all the test prep required and give the test. If they pass then they should be defintely admitted.

#34 tessieca

tessieca

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,292 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 02:30 PM

For the State of California, and most states, the age was set back because of $$.  But then CA will pay for kids to enter transitional K, so there is no savings after all.  But it remains a State law.  Folsom Cordova has some really good TK programs -- I think they're still doing more actual learning than when I was in K so long ago.

"Sometimes on purpose and sometimes by accident, teachers' unions have a long history of working against the interests of children in the name of job security for adults. And Democrats in particular have a history of facilitating this obstructionism in exchange for campaign donations and votes." . . .Amanda Ripley re "Waiting for Superman" movie.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users