#16 Lisa in Folsom

Lisa in Folsom

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 02:35 PM

QUOTE(Orangetj @ Mar 4 2008, 02:30 PM) View Post
Ha ha! That would be funny! Actually, before we bought our house I asked the guy next door if he wouldn't mind giving me an idea of how much his utility costs were since I had heard so much about the extreme expense of PG&E in EDH. Granted, this was a year ago but what he told me at the time mirrors my experiences since then - $90 or so a month Fall/Spring and $150 to $200 or so Winter/Summer. Perhaps it's the neighbor on the other side who is paying part of BOTH of our bills! I've been wondering what that heavy electric cable is that runs between our three houses.......

I repeat, keep your head down, ask no questions. See no evil, speak no evil, hear no evil.

Could also be that your new house runs on more gas than electric. It is the electricity rates that are insane. P G & E has filed for yet another rate increase. Don't think it has been approved yet. Just hope that you don't get that letter saying "You have been underpaying for the last two years and owe us $17,000."

#17 Orangetj

Orangetj

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,237 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 02:43 PM

I hope not as well! Our house does run largely on gas, with the exception of the AC. Water heater is gas, clothes dryer is gas, stove is gas, oven is electric (rarely use it, though). The house also gets a ton of natural light, so we really don't need to have any lights on inside until it's dark outside. Our old house had a similar balance of gas/electric, but we did have a pool which ran it's electric powered pump for 3+ hours a day.

#18 Lisa in Folsom

Lisa in Folsom

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 02:48 PM

QUOTE(Orangetj @ Mar 4 2008, 02:43 PM) View Post
I hope not as well! Our house does run largely on gas, with the exception of the AC. Water heater is gas, clothes dryer is gas, stove is gas, oven is electric (rarely use it, though). The house also gets a ton of natural light, so we really don't need to have any lights on inside until it's dark outside. Our old house had a similar balance of gas/electric, but we did have a pool which ran it's electric powered pump for 3+ hours a day.

Ah ha! The pool is a huge difference. That is the kicker. Your usage is going to be way down in your new home, so paying the higher rate is not as visible.

#19 Orangetj

Orangetj

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 2,237 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 03:00 PM

The funny thing was that when we had the pool built at that house, our electicity bill only increased by about $20 a month or so. Nothing huge.

#20 Lisa in Folsom

Lisa in Folsom

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 03:15 PM

QUOTE(Orangetj @ Mar 4 2008, 03:00 PM) View Post
The funny thing was that when we had the pool built at that house, our electicity bill only increased by about $20 a month or so. Nothing huge.

What year was that?

#21 Orangetj

Orangetj

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 2,237 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 03:17 PM

Pool was completed in fall of 03.

#22 palango

palango

unknown soldier

• Premium Member
  • 2,408 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 05:48 AM

QUOTE(Orangetj @ Mar 4 2008, 03:17 PM) View Post

I know that you are a passionate defender of everything Serrano, but I also would say that your utility bills are an absolute exception because all my neighbors in Serrano complain about outrageous PGE vs SMUD bills. Its an absolute Robbery and we and the neighbors all have new homes as well with so called "energy" features.

#23 Orangetj

Orangetj

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 2,237 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 09:02 AM

I may come across as a passionate defender of all things Serrano, but that's not my intent. I DO like the neighborhood, but that's really all it is to me. I don't have my identity tied up in it or anything. I just think it's worthwhile to provide a counterpoint based on my own experiences when I see posts that don't align with what I've personally seen, particularly if many of those posts are being made by people who are passing along something they've "heard" vs. having actually experienced it. I'm perfectly willing to count myself as an exception, but such a classification doesn't make my experience invalid. At the same time, I recognize that your experience of living here hasn't left you with as positive a feeling as I've got. That's fine, but I think it's important for people to know that not all of us here think the place is a giant ripoff with no redeeming values.

#24 palango

palango

unknown soldier

• Premium Member
  • 2,408 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 09:18 AM

QUOTE(Orangetj @ Mar 5 2008, 09:02 AM) View Post
At the same time, I recognize that your experience of living here hasn't left you with as positive a feeling as I've got. That's fine, but I think it's important for people to know that not all of us here think the place is a giant ripoff with no redeeming values.

Good points. I agree that there are different views to every story and I appriciate your candor. I believe that folks should thoroghly research both sides and then make an educated decision.

#25 Lisa in Folsom

Lisa in Folsom

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 03:01 PM

QUOTE(Orangetj @ Mar 4 2008, 03:17 PM) View Post

Ok, I give up. I can't figure out how your power bills could possibly work out that way, but since it has worked well for you - congrats! You have been blessed by the energy gods. For everyone else, with an usage analysis, they will find dramatically higher rates for electricity in P G & E's service territory.

We found that the only good way to make a decision about moving to El Dorado Hills was to get a complete cost breakdown of all utilities, HOA's, taxes, and assessments and put them into a spreadsheet. Then you have to figure out whether it is worth the extra dollars. The benefits provided by various HOA's are trickier to analyze, but you are not going to get better power service from all of the extra dollars spent for electricity. In fact P G & E has lower reliability and a terrible maintenance record, so you are actually getting worse service for your money.

But there are plusses to EDH, it just isn't in your power bill.

#26 old soldier

old soldier

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 2,715 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 04:00 PM

It would be kinda fun to lease a BMW for a couple of months and rent an EDH house and then pretend to be uppety. get a serano t shirt and then tell your old friends you will come down to folsom and slum it with them

a good place to be uppety would be at kids soccer games cause they could see the car you drive. pretend you have some treats for your kids in the Nordstroms bag

coming and going drive fast

#27 Orangetj

Orangetj

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 2,237 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 04:33 PM

Nah...BMW's are a dime a dozen. BMW's are the new Chevy. What you need to do is get a Bentley or Ferrari! Step out of one of those suckers in a matching velour outfit with a kickin' gold chain! That'll show 'em!

#28 palango

palango

unknown soldier

• Premium Member
  • 2,408 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 07:49 AM

QUOTE(Orangetj @ Mar 5 2008, 04:33 PM) View Post
Nah...BMW's are a dime a dozen. BMW's are the new Chevy. What you need to do is get a Bentley or Ferrari! Step out of one of those suckers in a matching velour outfit with a kickin' gold chain! That'll show 'em!

Oh and you forgot to do lunch @ Masque cafe for a $20 salad and you DO need RSVP
@ Bistro 33 trendy place for a Tuersday night for a $30 burger as you have to tip the valet $10 @ both places.

You have to know how to roll with these folks.

#29 Orangetj

Orangetj

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 2,237 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 08:00 AM

Since I can't really afford to eat at those places, I've taken up tipping the guy at the drive through window at Taco Bell. It just makes me feel superior. biggrin.gif

#30 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Photography, Travel, Art

Posted 06 March 2008 - 09:12 AM

QUOTE(palango @ Mar 6 2008, 07:49 AM) View Post
Oh and you forgot to do lunch @ Masque cafe for a $20 salad and you DO need RSVP
@ Bistro 33 trendy place for a Tuersday night for a $30 burger as you have to tip the valet $10 @ both places.

You have to know how to roll with these folks.

off subject...

we got a $100 gift certificate to masque for xmas but have never been there yet, sounds like that might get us maybe a burger and 2 drinks there?.... I don't like yuppie hang outs but we stopped in Bistro 33 a few weeks ago after going to the movies, parked right in front of the place - they really have valets? how lame are people in that they cannot park their own car at a small place like that? trendy people sure are stupid sometimes

Bistro 33 was interesting watching all the yuppies vying for attention, the guys in suits drinking cosmopolitons and the gaggles of gals sipping wine and teasing the guys - what a scene

the food was good but not worth the $$$$$ price tag, it was interesting to see it once but there's MUCH better places right here in Folsom

Travel, food and drink blog by Davehttp://davestravels.tv

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users