• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 camay2327

camay2327

GO NAVY

• 11,481 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 08:28 PM

http://www.news10.ne...p...436&catid=2

RANCHO CORDOVA, CA - A motorcycle officer was killed after he was struck by a car in Rancho Cordova Wednesday afternoon, according to authorities.

The collision happened on Coloma Road at Chardonnay Drive at 1:55 p.m., said Sacramento County Sheriff John McGinness.

Deputy Lawrence Canfield, 43, was transported to San Juan Medical Center in Carmichael, where he was pronounced dead around 4 p.m. Canfield served on the Rancho Cordova police force staffed by the sheriff's department.

McGinness, who is a personal friend of the deputy's father, a retired sheriff's sergeant, said, "it's a horrible, horrible, tragic loss."

// go to the above website for more //
A VETERAN Whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount "up to and including their life". That is HONOR, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -Author unknown-

#2 mylo

mylo

Mmm.. Tomato

• 16,763 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 11:51 PM

Tragic. These guys put themselves on the line every day, even driving around. A horrible loss of a seemingly great asset to society. My heart goes out to his family.
"Ah, yes, those Gucci extremists and their Prada jihad!" --ducky

#3 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 11:57 PM

QUOTE(camay2327 @ Nov 12 2008, 08:28 PM) View Post
http://www.news10.ne...p...436&catid=2
RANCHO CORDOVA, CA - A motorcycle officer was killed after he was struck by a car in Rancho Cordova Wednesday afternoon, according to authorities.

The collision happened on Coloma Road at Chardonnay Drive at 1:55 p.m., said Sacramento County Sheriff John McGinness.

Deputy Lawrence Canfield, 43, was transported to San Juan Medical Center in Carmichael, where he was pronounced dead around 4 p.m. Canfield served on the Rancho Cordova police force staffed by the sheriff's department.

McGinness, who is a personal friend of the deputy's father, a retired sheriff's sergeant, said, "it's a horrible, horrible, tragic loss."

// go to the above website for more //

a very sad day, an interesting coincidence with a previous partner in the same area (seen on channel 13 news) that adds to the sadness.
I would rather be Backpacking

#4 Darth Lefty

Darth Lefty

Disco Infiltrator

• No Politics!
  • 5,578 posts
  • Interests:Volunteer with a service club like Active 20-30, and you CAN make a difference!

Posted 13 November 2008 - 06:45 AM

I'm going to post this over on SCR...
"I enjoy a bit of cooking, and this has always worried me. But it's OK. I only like it because it allows me to play with knives." - James May

Genesis 49:16-17
http://www.active2030folsom.org

#5 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Photography, Travel, Art

Posted 13 November 2008 - 06:57 AM

Rest in Peace Officer Canfield sad.gif

these officers have very dangerous jobs - which is further reason they deserve respect from us all for putting their lives on the line to help out our society's

this is a very sad tragedy and loss for the Rancho community.

Travel, food and drink blog by Davehttp://davestravels.tv

#6 Darth Lefty

Darth Lefty

Disco Infiltrator

• No Politics!
  • 5,578 posts
  • Interests:Volunteer with a service club like Active 20-30, and you CAN make a difference!

Posted 13 November 2008 - 07:05 AM

It's the classic left-turn-in-front-of-you wreck, too. Most common car vs bike accident...
"I enjoy a bit of cooking, and this has always worried me. But it's OK. I only like it because it allows me to play with knives." - James May

#7 chris v

chris v

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 07:14 AM

RIP

On a side note, I always find it funny that m/c cops never have that much gear on.

#8 Darth Lefty

Darth Lefty

Disco Infiltrator

• No Politics!
  • 5,578 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 07:22 AM

QUOTE(chris v @ Nov 13 2008, 07:14 AM) View Post
RIP

On a side note, I always find it funny that m/c cops never have that much gear on.

It seems to be an American thing, elsewhere in the world they gear up. And I'm told some of them have double thicknesses in their clothes.

And if you were riding all day in summer LA traffic jams you'd be in shirtsleeves too...

#9 chris v

chris v

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 07:37 AM

QUOTE(Darth Lefty @ Nov 13 2008, 07:22 AM) View Post
And if you were riding all day in summer LA traffic jams you'd be in shirtsleeves too...

not true, ever.

#10 ChipShot

ChipShot

Golfer-In-Chief

• Banned
  • 5,992 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 08:33 AM

These elderly drivers need to be tested more often...and yank their licenses if they show any signs of diminished ability. angry.gif
I have opinions, you have opinions. We'll just call it even...is that OK ??

#11 Darth Lefty

Darth Lefty

Disco Infiltrator

• No Politics!
  • 5,578 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 10:15 AM

QUOTE(chris v @ Nov 13 2008, 07:37 AM) View Post
not true, ever.

The gear part or the LA part? biggrin.gif

#12 chris v

chris v

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 10:17 AM

Gear....

#13 Andrea V

Andrea V

Girl ur mom warned u about!

• Premium Member
  • 5,657 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 10:27 AM

QUOTE(chris v @ Nov 13 2008, 10:17 AM) View Post
Gear....

He allllllllways wears good (freakin expensive) gear when riding.

except sometimes when downtown on the vespa... I saw him wear shorts once!
<3

#14 Agent_007

Agent_007

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 656 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 10:38 AM

QUOTE(ChipShot @ Nov 13 2008, 08:33 AM) View Post
These elderly drivers need to be tested more often...and yank their licenses if they show any signs of diminished ability. angry.gif

it's the young driver you need to be careful of. they are unpredictable, inexperienced and have little fear.

#15 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 10:47 AM

QUOTE(ChipShot @ Nov 13 2008, 08:33 AM) View Post

I am all for increasing the requirements for a drivers license for everyone.

Currently there are no requirements for driver's to demonstrate they can control their vehicle in wet conditions, that they have reaction times on par with safe driving requirements, etc.

If I was to define a driving test, I wouldn't be surprised if 50% of drivers would fail. Some of those 50% are likely trainable to achieve the proper driving skills, but I wouldn't be surprised if my plan would cut 15-20 % of drivers off of our roads.
I would rather be Backpacking

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users