#1 UncleVinnys

UncleVinnys

Just visiting this planet.

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,263 posts
  • Interests:Truth Prevails

Posted 25 September 2017 - 05:40 AM

Donald Trump waded into yet another divisive issue: protesters on NFL teams.
Many believe he generates these controversies to distract attention from his

losing agenda,

such as on health care reform, immigration, and taxes.

In showings of protest and solidarity, NFL teams respond to Trump’s criticisms

https://www.washingt...m=.9294aef7c605

Some stood. Some kneeled. Some remained in the locker room, choosing to speak through their absence from the NFL’s pregame ceremonies, in which the American flag is displayed and the national anthem sung. But from London to Los Angeles, virtually all NFL players on the sidelines before kickoff of Sunday’s slate of 14 games locked arms with each other in response to President Trump’s three-day campaign demanding that team owners “fire or suspend” players who kneel during the national anthem and calling on fans to boycott games if the form of protest continued.

:peaceman:                :footballhelmet:   :USA:

1 God: 1 World: 1 People     :peaceman: 

#2 ghost35me

ghost35me

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 06:46 AM

If you don't like the American flag or respect the American flag, you can GTFO. The door is over there.  BTW, be aware that Mexico does not treat illegal immigration lightly.

The NFL will lose this fight. And good riddance.

https://static.texas...5143.1424228764

#3 Anthony2173

Anthony2173

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 07:56 AM

di·vi·sive
dəˈvīsiv/
adjective

1. tending to cause disagreement or hostility between people.

Amazing that standing to show respect for our country, the ideals under which it was formed and for those who paid the ultimate sacrifice in it's defense is now considered a divisive issue.   

#4 Chris

Chris

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,857 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 09:00 AM

On the wrong side again you are Tio Vinny.   Trump has the pulse of America on this one....!  Just look at the seats, the empty ones, look at the disgust with these fools (peeing like a dog in the end zone..?).  The only hero I saw yesterday was that single guy, Villanueva, on the Steelers who stood upright with his hand over his heart and meant it...!  Soon, very soon the owners are going to feel the pain, in the wallet and so will the advertisers.   Me, I stopped watching football because of this, don't care.  Won't listen or watch ESPN until they fire their racist and political sportscasters.  I get more things done in the garage on Sundays now.  I do the same with Hollywood, I don't pay to see flaming liberal, left wing actors do anything, I stay home, and it is showing up in Hollywood's bottom line because I am not the only one who feels this way.   Chris

1A - 2A = -1A

#5 camay2327

camay2327

GO NAVY

• 11,481 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 11:10 AM

STOP going to the games. The empty seats will tell the story.

Go NAVY
A VETERAN Whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount "up to and including their life". That is HONOR, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -Author unknown-

#6 2 Aces

2 Aces

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,403 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 01:39 PM

If ESPN can delve into politics, then Trump can delve into sports. Don't like it? Too bad. We're gonna jam it down your throats. We're gonna turn this against all you anti-America Leftists wearing your cowardly AntiFa uniforms. Bums.

#7 Rose White

Rose White

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 01:43 PM

The American flag stands for the citizens of America. To not honor it is to not honor every citizen. There is a place to voice protests and an event that cost as much as tickets cost, is very risky to the people who want to sell those tickets.

People want to go to a game to have fun, not be reminded of the current troubles in our society or see our country dishonored.

#8 Who_Do_You_Trust

Who_Do_You_Trust

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 04:33 PM

Personally, I don't watch professional football primarily because it's mostly 300 lb felons beating the crap out of each other for 4 hours.  Not entertainment.

But I still have an opinion on the "kneeling" issues.  Several points:

1)  Anyone is allowed to express their opinions and exercise their freedom of speech in public.  The 1st Amendment guarantees it.

2)  The 1st Amendment does NOT extend into the workplace, however.  No one has freedom of speech at work. 

3)  When at games, these football players are at work.  They are being paid a salary.  They are physically at their place of work (the stadium). They are wearing the company uniform.  As such, they DO NOT enjoy 1st amendment protections. 

4)  When at work, company management gets to dictate employee behavior.  And if the team owners had some balls, they would make it a policy for their employees to respect certain traditions such as those surrounding the National Anthem.

5)  If these players want to protest anything, they can go down to the public square in their civilian clothes, on their own time, just like every other protester.

#9 Chris

Chris

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 7,857 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 07:53 PM

Personally, I don't watch professional football primarily because it's mostly 300 lb felons beating the crap out of each other for 4 hours.  Not entertainment.

But I still have an opinion on the "knealing" issues.  Several points:

1)  Anyone is allowed to express their opinions and exercise their freedom of speech in public.  The 1st Amendment guarantees it.

2)  The 1st Amendment does NOT extend into the workplace, however.  No one has freedom of speech at work. 

3)  When at games, these football players are at work.  They are being paid a salary.  They are physically at their place of work (the stadium). They are wearing the company uniform.  As such, they DO NOT enjoy 1st amendment protections. 

4)  When at work, company management gets to dictate employee behavior.  And if the team owners had some balls, they would make it a policy for their employees to respect certain traditions such as those surrounding the National Anthem.

5)  If these players want to protest anything, they can go down to the public square in their civilian clothes, on their own time, just like every other protester.

Could not have written that better myself.  Totally agree with you on this one.  Chris

1A - 2A = -1A

#10 UncleVinnys

UncleVinnys

• Premium Member
  • 4,263 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 05:55 AM

I dunno . . . "management gets to dictate"??!!

Sounds like Nazi rules to me.

Taken to the extreme, that kind of "rule" would make us just like North Korea.

Disagree with the boss and you get fed to the lions.

It also undermines the essence of a "TEAM" - where folks play together cooperatively.

Seems like there should be room for middle ground here, compromise and inclusion.

#11 Who_Do_You_Trust

Who_Do_You_Trust

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 07:16 AM

Vinny - Yes, management gets to dictate your behavior.  There are limits and rules of course, but management tells employees what to do, and they have to do it, or they're out. 

Constitutional rights do not extend into the workplace:  

You don't have freedom of speech at work.  Tell the boss he's a butthead (even if he is) and see what happens.

You don't have freedom of religion at work.  Set up a shine to Allah in your office and see what happens.

You don't have 2nd Amendment rights at work.  Set your gun on your desk at work and see what happens.

There are only two places where you can exercise your Constitutional rights - public property, and private property that you own.  Nowhere else, including the sidelines at a football game.

#12 Chris

Chris

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 7,857 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 09:20 AM

I dunno . . . "management gets to dictate"??!!

Sounds like Nazi rules to me.

You seem very OK with liberal government getting to dictate to us.........?   Why the double standard....?   Chris

1A - 2A = -1A

#13 2 Aces

2 Aces

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,403 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 11:08 AM

Because he's the #1 hypocrite on this forum. The examples are seemingly endless.

#14 UncleVinnys

UncleVinnys

• Premium Member
  • 4,263 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 03:17 PM

I'm talking about the exceptions here, not the rules.

Like a military commander dictating something that is clearly illegal.

That is what the Nuremberg trials were all about.

The subordinate has rights too.

In the same manner - yes, employers get to decide your job - but there is a long history in

America of workers having a say on such things as safety or working conditions,

In something like a sports venue, the managers work closely with the players

in a cooperative manner, usually not a hostile environment, or a confrontational

atmosphere. Anyone who runs a business like that rules a divided house

that will not stand.

Can you imagine LeBron James' manager telling him he cannot kneel?

BTW, with all this fuss over the flag, where were all you guys when

the Alt-right Nazis marched with White Supremacy flags, Confederate

flags, and Don't-tread-on-me flags?

:USA:   :usaflag:   :USA:    :footballhelmet:

#15 2 Aces

2 Aces

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,403 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 03:38 PM