#1 crossski

crossski

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 08:40 AM

As I was listening to this mornings mow and blow all around me and watching the
weather forecast at the same time, I was thinking these guys are polluting my air
for profit.
I have to smog my car for private use, yet these mow and blow guys drop in
and pollute the air and make a buck. There are outdoor plugs with which electric devices could
be used , yet are not.

All the while growing numbers of our kids as well as adults develop asthma, allergies and long term respiratory
issues each year. This is your HEALTH people !!

some info in an article of mow and blow.
http://jeffreygarden...w-and-blow.html

#2 dimeracer

dimeracer

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 09:59 AM

CARB hasn't gotten this far down the ladder yet, but they will. Trucks, buses, cars, boats, forklifts, field pumps, air compressors, generators, etc. are all being regulated currently. Some day you will not be able to wash your car in your driveway because of the runoff into the storm drains.

#3 cw68

cw68

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,370 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 10:23 AM

CARB hasn't gotten this far down the ladder yet, but they will. Trucks, buses, cars, boats, forklifts, field pumps, air compressors, generators, etc. are all being regulated currently. Some day you will not be able to wash your car in your driveway because of the runoff into the storm drains.

You shouldn't wash your car in your driveway even if it's "allowed." It's not a responsible thing to do.

#4 dimeracer

dimeracer

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 10:35 AM

I suppise, but thst only depends on what you are using to wash it with in my opinion. Rain rinses the same contaminates off of the surface of the vehicle as the hose.

#5 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 10:59 AM

You shouldn't wash your car in your driveway even if it's "allowed." It's not a responsible thing to do.

since when??
Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

#6 Sandman

Sandman

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 11:03 AM

Do you drive by youth car wash fundraisers and let them know how "irresponsible" they are being? LOL...

#7 cw68

cw68

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 10,370 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 11:09 AM

I suppise, but thst only depends on what you are using to wash it with in my opinion. Rain rinses the same contaminates off of the surface of the vehicle as the hose.

That's not true. Rain doesn't hit inside the wheel wells or tires, doesn't blow things off with force and doesn't have detergent capabilities to loosen grease that's on surfaces. Washing your car in your driveway carries the pollutants into the creeks, the delta, the bay and the ocean through storm drains, which carry pesticides, soaps or auto fluids washed off our lawns and driveways untreated into waterways.

Do you drive by youth car wash fundraisers and let them know how "irresponsible" they are being? LOL...

No, but I don't ever have my car washed at these fundraisers, nor do my kids wash my car in the driveway (that irks them). I'm just not going to because I know better and can't justify being irresponsible.

#8 nomad

nomad

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,548 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 11:10 AM

That's not true. Rain doesn't hit inside the wheel wells or tires, doesn't blow things off with force and doesn't have detergent capabilities to loosen grease that's on surfaces. Washing your car in your driveway carries the pollutants into the creeks, the delta, the bay and the ocean through storm drains, which carry pesticides, soaps or auto fluids washed off our lawns and driveways untreated into waterways.

I don't know, my tires get pretty wet when it rains.

So where should a responsible person wash their car? Or should they just lick it clean?

#9 cw68

cw68

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 10,370 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 11:13 AM

since when??

"Residents often don't realize that washing cars in our driveways is one of the most environmentally un-friendly things we can do around the house. Soapy runoff from washing your car picks up other pollutants and goes right into storm drains and eventually into the river...untreated. This poisons aquatic life and destroys the natural ecosystem. "
http://www.beriverfriendly.net/riverfriendlycarwashing/

#10 cw68

cw68

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 10,370 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 11:16 AM

I don't know, my tires get pretty wet when it rains.

So where should a responsible person wash their car? Or should they just lick it clean?

Washing your car in a car wash bay is best. If you must wash it at home, washing it on a lawn is better than the driveway.

Listen, wash your car in your driveway if you can justify it yourself. I, myself, can't because I know it's not a good thing to do. That's my prerogative. I never said anything ridiculous like lick your car clean. Geez.

#11 nomad

nomad

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,548 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 11:26 AM

Washing your car in a car wash bay is best. If you must wash it at home, washing it on a lawn is better than the driveway.

Listen, wash your car in your driveway if you can justify it yourself. I, myself, can't because I know it's not a good thing to do. That's my prerogative. I never said anything ridiculous like lick your car clean. Geez.

I can't wash my car on my lawn. That's where I dump all my used motor oil.

#12 crossski

crossski

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 11:33 AM

I thought 'we' were prohibited from washing our cars in the driveway now due to water restrictions?
did i miss the re-instatement or was that-is washing down your driveway ..

#13 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 11:52 AM

"Residents often don't realize that washing cars in our driveways is one of the most environmentally un-friendly things we can do around the house. Soapy runoff from washing your car picks up other pollutants and goes right into storm drains and eventually into the river...untreated. This poisons aquatic life and destroys the natural ecosystem. "
http://www.beriverfriendly.net/riverfriendlycarwashing/

I'm glad you posted that. I guess it seems like such a common sense thing to do, but when you start to think about the numbers of cars out there, it makes perfect sense NOT to do it.
thanks!
Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

#14 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 12:38 PM

On military installations you can't. You are required to go to a water recycle car wash or go off post.

If you are overseas, you can be ticketed forhaving a dirty car, or a leaky car; if you do not contain the leak while parked- on private or public property.

#15 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 01:30 PM

Those landscaping blowers are really annoying. I know it's all for convenience sake, but I wish they would have to use brooms and rakes on bad air days. It's really hazy out there right now.

I'd never heard it was against the law to wash your car in the driveway, just that it was advised against. I don't see the problem if your driveway drains towards your yard and not the street. I guess it's just a matter of time before they hook meters up to rainspouts on homes and charge you for the runoff.

What I think is probably far worse for the environment is the orange stuff they sprayed on the weeds in the sidewalk on Dean in front of the school. It actually looks like it's stripping the paint on the curb. I don't understand why a Weed eater couldn't have been used in the same amount of time to clear the weeds.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users