11 replies to this topic

#1 The Average Joe

The Average Joe

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,155 posts

Posted 10 April 2018 - 03:47 PM

Couple interesting things from the Congressional testimony by Facebook founder Zuckerberg

The first takeaway is that a bunch of 70 year old congresspeople trying to act as though they understand what Facebook is and what it does is embarrassing.

Sen Hatch:

Hatch: "How do you sustain a business model in which users don't pay for your service?"
Zuckerberg: "Senator, we run ads" *smiles*
Hatch: "I see. That's great."

<facepalm>

On future monitoring of "hate speech"

“That’s a success in terms of rolling out AI tools that can proactively police and enforce safety across the community,” Zuckerberg said. “Hate speech, I am optimistic that over a five to 10 year period we'll have AI tools that can get into some of the nuances, the linguistic nuances of different types of content to be more accurate in flagging things for our systems..."

Props to Sen Sasse for trying to get Mark to define "hate speech," and for articulating my concerns.  Proactively police and enforce "safety....um, ok. Thought police anybody?

https://twitter.com/...9713920/video/1

Watch Sen Cruz ask the big question to Mark

https://twitter.com/...5650305/video/1

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive" -- C.S. Lewis

If the only way to combat "global warming" was to lower taxes, we would never hear of the issue again. - Anonymous

"Society in every state is a blessing, but Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one" — Thomas Paine, 𝘊𝘰𝘮𝘮𝘰𝘯 𝘚𝘦𝘯𝘴𝘦 (1776)

#2 Chris

Chris

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 7,857 posts

Posted 10 April 2018 - 04:19 PM

It was obvious none of those Senators knew what they were asking...   Their staffs (of young people) should have gave them better questions and coached them.  Like most congressional hearings, it was about face time on camera for narcissistic politicians from both sides of the aisle , not face book.  Chris

1A - 2A = -1A

#3 Who_Do_You_Trust

Who_Do_You_Trust

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 10 April 2018 - 11:18 PM

Couple interesting things from the Congressional testimony by Facebook founder Zuckerberg

The first takeaway is that a bunch of 70 year old congresspeople trying to act as though they understand what Facebook is and what it does is embarrassing.

Sen Hatch:

Hatch: "How do you sustain a business model in which users don't pay for your service?"
Zuckerberg: "Senator, we run ads" *smiles*
Hatch: "I see. That's great."

<facepalm>

On future monitoring of "hate speech"

“That’s a success in terms of rolling out AI tools that can proactively police and enforce safety across the community,” Zuckerberg said. “Hate speech, I am optimistic that over a five to 10 year period we'll have AI tools that can get into some of the nuances, the linguistic nuances of different types of content to be more accurate in flagging things for our systems..."

Props to Sen Sasse for trying to get Mark to define "hate speech," and for articulating my concerns.  Proactively police and enforce "safety....um, ok. Thought police anybody?

https://twitter.com/...9713920/video/1

Watch Sen Cruz ask the big question to Mark

https://twitter.com/...5650305/video/1

Joe,  if you're concerned about censorship in some of these on-line entities, then you'll worry a lot.  Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, et al are legally considered "private property" on which a corporation is doing business.  The First Amendment cannot be enforced on private property.  these companies can censor content all they want, and censor it in certain directions and with certain biases.  First Amendment protections don't apply.  

And I agree with you - watching all these old white haired pompous senators reveal their complete ignorance of what's going on with their constituencies was just astonishing.  They are clueless, out of touch, ignorant, and befuddled by all of it.  It's just amazing they all could get the same color sock on each foot. 

And Cruz was the most ignorant of all.  He stupidly asked Zuckerberg if he knows the political leanings of all the people at his company.  What Cruz fails to understand is that federal law prohibits companies from asking about the politics of new employees.  It's illegal.  Cruz, you're an idiot.

It's going to be fun watching social media chew these guys up and spit them out.  About time...    

And you're worried about thought police?  Speech codes are overturned regularly by the courts.  No worries.

#4 UncleVinnys

UncleVinnys

Just visiting this planet.

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,263 posts
  • Interests:Truth Prevails

Posted 11 April 2018 - 05:28 AM

Data mining of FB user information is a golden egg for Zuk.

He knows full well the value of that for advertisers and researchers

He knew full well that he could sell it for top dollar

- to Cambridge Analytica, to Trump, to the Russians, and many other high bidders.

Like many in power, he worships the dollar over all other "values."

1 God: 1 World: 1 People     :peaceman: 

#5 2 Aces

2 Aces

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,403 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 07:41 AM

YOU'RE A PUNK, ZUCK:  LOVED how Cruz ran circles around Zuck and exposed the blatant bias at Facebook.  It's almost criminal.  Cruz is a brilliant man with a brilliant mind. The way he grilled Zuck was masterful. :lol:

170223122948-ted-cruz-cpac-2nd-amendment

#6 Who_Do_You_Trust

Who_Do_You_Trust

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 10:15 AM

Looks like another rat has left the ship.  Paul Ryan says he will retire after his current term expires.  And he gives the standard explanation for when you don't want to give the real explanation - "I want more time with my family".  Yes, he'll get that and it's good because it will benefit his kids.  All good stuff.  But he knows the GOP is going to get decimated in the mid-term elections, and he doesn't want to be any part of it (the real explanation). 

The sad part here is that there's a horribly toxic environment in Washington.  You know because competent and smart people are bailing out in droves.  It's an extremely serious problem.  Maybe the youth of today can take it on and fix it.  They've got a lot to fix - the political landscape, the gun culture, the environment, the oppressive debt.  And it's all because we (the adults of today) have screwed it up beyond recognition. 

On behalf of the older generation, I offer my apologies to the next generation.

#7 2 Aces

2 Aces

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,403 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 10:36 AM

The GOP is going to get decimated in the mid-term elections, 

YOU MIGHT WANT TO BE QUIET THIS TIME:  Making predictions again?  You clowns did that last time... and we know how that turned out, see below.  Me thinks your side should shut up... and then mouth-off after the election if you win, which is highly doubtful given how your side has poisoned the process... and people are sick of the Dem/media dishonesty.  Liars and losers.

the-new-york-times-nytimes-our-president

#8 The Average Joe

The Average Joe

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 7,155 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 11:43 AM

Speech codes are overturned regularly by the courts.  No worries.

Tell that to the British and Canadians.

There are a whole host of people pushing hate speech laws here. AND yes, I worry. I am fully aware business is not compelled to extend 1st Amendment protections. THAT IS THE WORRY. Cruz was not stupid, he got right to the crux of it. Zuckerberg admitted that silicon valley is a far left leaning area in control of the vast majority of information services. That it doesn't seem to concern you because they are on the "right side" is shortsighted and foolish. When power shifts, as it always does, it will be far too late to suddenly realize that your "side" is the one on the receiving end of attacks. And trust me, people may forgive in principal, but they wont forget the screwing when the "other side" was in power. A very bad thing for everybody when information is filtered through an ideological lens and truth doesn't matter.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive" -- C.S. Lewis

If the only way to combat "global warming" was to lower taxes, we would never hear of the issue again. - Anonymous

"Society in every state is a blessing, but Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one" — Thomas Paine, 𝘊𝘰𝘮𝘮𝘰𝘯 𝘚𝘦𝘯𝘴𝘦 (1776)

#9 2 Aces

2 Aces

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,403 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 12:07 PM

DID ZUCKERLIB LIE TO CONGRESS?:  He said the Diamond & Silk censorship was an "enforcement error".  Sure, Zuck.  Story below.  Typical lyin' lefty prog Dem.  You lefty people are so grotesque... you lie with such ease.

https://www.infowars...amond-and-silk/

#10 Who_Do_You_Trust

Who_Do_You_Trust

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 04:19 PM

Speech codes are overturned regularly by the courts.  No worries.

Tell that to the British and Canadians.

There are a whole host of people pushing hate speech laws here. AND yes, I worry. I am fully aware business is not compelled to extend 1st Amendment protections. THAT IS THE WORRY. Cruz was not stupid, he got right to the crux of it. Zuckerberg admitted that silicon valley is a far left leaning area in control of the vast majority of information services. That it doesn't seem to concern you because they are on the "right side" is shortsighted and foolish. When power shifts, as it always does, it will be far too late to suddenly realize that your "side" is the one on the receiving end of attacks. And trust me, people may forgive in principal, but they wont forget the screwing when the "other side" was in power. A very bad thing for everybody when information is filtered through an ideological lens and truth doesn't matter.

We don't live in Britain or Canada.  They can do what works for them.  

If the right doesn't like what's happening, they should start their own version of Facebook and only allow card carrying Republicans to join.  they have the right to do it.

#11 Chris

Chris

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 7,857 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 07:50 AM

pk91v223t7r01.jpg

1A - 2A = -1A

#12 The Average Joe

The Average Joe

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 7,155 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 08:30 AM

We don't live in Britain or Canada.  They can do what works for them.  

If the right doesn't like what's happening, they should start their own version of Facebook and only allow card carrying Republicans to join.  they have the right to do it.

No, but there are many here in US that are ignorant of what the type of policies they promote lead to...

A LIBERTARIAN social media platform would make a friggin fortune.  Unfortunately, the big boys will manipulate to quash any competition. It happens in all businesses (as you should well know). Shame on you for such a pithy, unreality based assessment.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users