asbestoshills

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,811 posts

Posted 04 November 2009 - 05:57 PM

QUOTE (Robert Giacometti @ Nov 4 2009, 08:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
GFFmatt never mentioned race.

They said NON English speaking, which could be German, Russian or any other non English speaking language.

You are the one who has brought race into this, when it wasn't about race, it was about his frustration over PEOPLE NOT UNDERSTANDING AMERICAN TRADITIONS.

Unfortunately, for some its always easier to throw out the race card without taking the time to listen to anothers perspective.

HE MADE IT A POINT TO SAY THAT IT MUST BE that the kids don't understand ENGLISH (sarcastically) b/c WHY else would they take ALL of the candy.....HE really took it over the top and I can guarantee you if those KIDS understood to dress-up for HALLOWEEN, they understood the principle of taking candy! HE PUT THE BOWL IN FRONT OF A KID, c'mon, he didn't need to mention they didn't speak ENGLISH or good-bye sweet America!!!! JUST b/c kids throw pumpkins, take candy and are rude, doesn't mean you have to say GOODBYE to SWEET AMERICA-BTW, what a drama queen he is!!!! FROM as far back as I can remember there are little brats that come to your door...TRICK OR TREATING is like going to the DMV-not everyone is going to be perfect and far from it...HOWEVER, don't let one group of kids ruin your Halloween, especially since he could have just said take one candy or a small handful.....
Americans, don't just come in one color or race.

#32 asbestoshills

asbestoshills

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,811 posts

Posted 04 November 2009 - 06:24 PM

BTW, Robert, I hate when people say, "quit playing the race card..." Well what if that's the issue? Just because we have a half-black president, doesn't mean there isn't racism...Just look at the nut in Sacramento who puts a noose up in his yard....
C'mon, he wouldn't mention sect or say goodbye to sweet America...He was definitely infering that these non-english speakng kids were taking from him and w/o his permission..Oh please. Also, in Folsom there aren't a lot of german or russian etc. in Folsom; but there are many Indians and Mexicans.....so, whatever!
If you want to FIGHT people who are trying to take away AMERICAN traditions, start with the school system.....NO MORE CHRISTMAS CELEBRATIONS, no more Halloween in many schools, no mention of Christopher Columbus, no EASTER celebrations, etc. etc. etc.....PICK your battles better....You should be petitioning the schools to teach AMERICAN culture if that's what you think is disappearing b/c it surely isn't being taught in most public schools...I get frustrated myself that the school system denies our culture and there is a specific American culture that is not being taught anymore that is positive and inclusive...BUT, the guy complaining about the candy was way out of line with his drama over a little candy...
Americans, don't just come in one color or race.

#33 Robert Giacometti

Robert Giacometti

There are no Dumb questions

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,850 posts

Posted 04 November 2009 - 07:21 PM

QUOTE (asbestoshills @ Nov 4 2009, 06:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
BTW, Robert, I hate when people say, "quit playing the race card..." Well what if that's the issue? Just because we have a half-black president, doesn't mean there isn't racism...Just look at the nut in Sacramento who puts a noose up in his yard....
C'mon, he wouldn't mention sect or say goodbye to sweet America...He was definitely infering that these non-english speakng kids were taking from him and w/o his permission..Oh please. Also, in Folsom there aren't a lot of german or russian etc. in Folsom; but there are many Indians and Mexicans.....so, whatever!
If you want to FIGHT people who are trying to take away AMERICAN traditions, start with the school system.....NO MORE CHRISTMAS CELEBRATIONS, no more Halloween in many schools, no mention of Christopher Columbus, no EASTER celebrations, etc. etc. etc.....PICK your battles better....You should be petitioning the schools to teach AMERICAN culture if that's what you think is disappearing b/c it surely isn't being taught in most public schools...I get frustrated myself that the school system denies our culture and there is a specific American culture that is not being taught anymore that is positive and inclusive...BUT, the guy complaining about the candy was way out of line with his drama over a little candy...

Unfortunately racism still exists. We probably will never see it end, but we should try and end it each and every time it arises.

To help end it we all need to call it out when it happens and STOP playing the race card for everything else, unless it truly is racism.

Fortunately a majority of us see and recognize racism when it occurs and a majority of us are willing to speak out when it happens.

I respect your right to feel like he went over the top with his comments, but that doesn't translate into racism. He wasn't judging the kids on their race, he was judging them on their actions!
You can't prejudge him by believing he would have acted differently if the kids were white.

You have to give people the benefit of the doubt, if not then you are guilty of the very thing you are accusing him of!

#34 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 04 November 2009 - 07:29 PM

I don't think the issue was race at all. Somebody had frustration with a manners problem and happened to notice a communication problem because there was a language barrier. Are we not allowed to notice when someone doesn't speak English and comment that it made communication difficult? I think GFF Matt just had a bad night. It's not fun being called racist and shouldn't be done at the drop of a hat. It feels the same as being accused of a crime you haven't commited.

We actually do have a large Russian population in the Sacramento area. I know I've recognized Russian accents at the Wendy's window. My neighborhood is pretty diverse. We've got East Indian, African American, Mexican, Caucasian, and Asian neighbors... you name it. Some are well-mannered; others aren't so much - no different than any other neighborhood. That is also one reason why I would never presume the race of Halloween pranksters.

#35 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Photography, Travel, Art

Posted 04 November 2009 - 07:35 PM

QUOTE (Robert Giacometti @ Nov 4 2009, 07:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You have to give people the benefit of the doubt, if not then you are guilty of the very thing you are accusing him of!

plus the line "goodbye sweet America" is a quote from the Armstrong & Getty show whom Matt is friends with. It's not about racism, its about being fed up with the gov't becoming larger and larger by the minute.

check out this clip:

Travel, food and drink blog by Davehttp://davestravels.tv

#36 GFFmatt

GFFmatt

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 04 November 2009 - 08:25 PM

Well thank you all who came to my defense re: racism. I'm quite honored that my take on my Halloween incident has completely hijacked this thread due to one's inability to find humor in my sarcasm.

To those of you who shed light on exactly what I was saying, thank you.

AND...I am trying REALLY hard not to end this reply with a VERY FUNNY comment. Just to make sure no one is offended.

#37 anotherSteve

anotherSteve

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 04:19 PM

I'm new to the forum but a 20 year resident of Folsom. I thought I would add something actually related to Halloween on this thread:) Our neighborhood has been wonderful through all of the holidays and it has been fun watching the kids grow up, (including our own). Here's a video of what our Halloween display has grown into. I'm only a couple of months late so Happy New Year to all of us lucky enough to live here.  

#38 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 06:36 PM

I'm new to the forum but a 20 year resident of Folsom. I thought I would add something actually related to Halloween on this thread:) Our neighborhood has been wonderful through all of the holidays and it has been fun watching the kids grow up, (including our own). Here's a video of what our Halloween display has grown into. I'm only a couple of months late so Happy New Year to all of us lucky enough to live here.  

this is your yard?  awesome!!

Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

#39 anotherSteve

anotherSteve

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 07:57 PM

Thanks, yes,our front yard. It started as props for my kids' fall festival at their school and then grew over the years.

#40 caligirlz

caligirlz

Living Legend

• 3,163 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 10:00 PM

wow, that's scary!

welcome to the myfolsom forum!

#41 TruthSeeker

TruthSeeker

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 10:04 PM

Wow! That's the best decorations I've ever seen! Nicely done!

Svzr2FS.jpg

#42 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts
  • Interests:Sole proprietor: Tailored Resume Services
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 06 January 2014 - 08:42 AM

I'd love to come see this in person! Please let us know (now or next Halloween) where we can come see this. :) Awesome!

Welcome to MyFolsom.

Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child
Making a Difference in the Life of Abused and Neglected Children in Foster Care
http://www.sacramentocasa.org/

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

#43 anotherSteve

anotherSteve

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 08:24 PM

Thanks, I will post pics of the setup and directions close to Halloween. Here's a pic from a couple of years ago.desatmedium.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users