Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Folsom Lake Crossing

• Please log in to reply
382 replies to this topic

Poll: Name the New Bridge (90 member(s) have cast votes)

What theme would you name the bridge after?

1. Johnny Cash (49 votes [54.44%])

Percentage of vote: 54.44%

2. Folsom Dam (20 votes [22.22%])

Percentage of vote: 22.22%

3. Folsom Lake (14 votes [15.56%])

Percentage of vote: 15.56%

4. Granite City (7 votes [7.78%])

Percentage of vote: 7.78%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#16 MikeinFolsom

MikeinFolsom

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 07:46 AM

Sorry, but Folsom was still a one horse town until Intel came riding in. Why not name it the Intel Bridge? Folsom was nothing but a podunk town until then. Let's make Folsom more of a farce by naming the bridge "The Johnny Cash Bridge". Talk about stupid.......

#17 john

john

Founder

• Admin
  • 9,841 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 08:08 AM

I think everyone is missing the tourism that the bridge could attract... next to the bridge, you could put a statue of Johnny Cash, sitting on his stool, playing facing the prison. (Tell me people wouldn't pull over to get their picture taken in front of that!)

Like it or not folks, Folsom Prison and Johnny Cash is what made this town. Long before Intel, we were a prison town.

#18 pet lover

pet lover

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 10:20 AM

QUOTE(Bill Z @ Jun 21 2008, 08:20 AM) View Post
While JC was a famous songwriter and singer, I don't think he was a very honorable man and his short stints in town I find not very worthy. If we want to name it after a person, I would much rather it get named after someone prominent in the town's history that was a resident, rather than a country rock star that never even could call the place home.

But as I am all for keeping it simple and going with the vernacular, Folsom Dam Bridge works fine for me, because regardless of the official name, it's going to be know as "the dam bridge" (with the added n in mind). Just like Natomas Crossing is known in the vernacular as "the new bridge", most everyone will refer to this new bridge as "the dam bridge" and Natomas Crossing will still be called "the new bridge".

I agree

#19 Solartide

Solartide

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,770 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 10:28 AM

It's funny, it seems like most of us agree that naming it after Cash is a bad idea, yet on the board, with 16 votes...

#20 camay2327

camay2327

GO NAVY

• 11,481 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 10:31 AM

I wonder if anyone in the city has contacted the Johnny Cash organization to see if they will even allow his name to be used for our bridge. Think that should be done prior to picking his name and then have a multi-million dollar lawsuit on our hands.

The only other options are Folsom Dam and Folsom Lake.

Can't see Granite City being a choice as it would give credit to the city of Granite Bay.

Folsom should get the credit for having the bridge built...

A VETERAN Whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount "up to and including their life". That is HONOR, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -Author unknown-

#21 ngilbert

ngilbert

Rainbow Bridge Troll

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,368 posts
  • Interests:filling out questionaires

Posted 21 June 2008 - 10:41 AM

QUOTE(Jolene @ Jun 21 2008, 01:43 AM) View Post
There was a discussion on another board I'm on about song lyrics that bug the heck out of you and someone brought up Folsom Prison Blues because of:

A) "I shot a man in Reno, just to watch him die..." - Well, then how did you end up in a state prison in CALIFORNIA????

Heh. I'm still trying to find which train around here rolls on down to San Antone.

Maybe the guy he shot in Reno was a California State Trooper on vacation, so California had jurisdiction over Nevada. Or maybe he shot the guy in Reno, but dragged the body over the state line because he figured he'd more likely get the death penalty in Nevada, was caught by California authorities, and he never really told anyone *where* he shot the guy during the trial.

Oooh! Or maybe Johnny Cash wrote it when he was in the Air Force in Germany based on a bad riot movie about a Folsom Prison he saw once and had never been west of Arkansas before so he didn't know his geography too well and that Folsom Prison was even in California. Nah - no one would believe that.

I don't know if tons of people will come here just to see Johnny Cash bridge, but it may be enough of an oddity to get some mention in the world press. And I like John's idea of a statue for people to have their picture taken in front of. I mean, who could have predicted that enema monument in Russia would be so popular?

Regardless of what it's officially named, locals will just call it the Dam Bridge anyway.
"Here's the last toast of the evening: Here's to those who still believe. All the losers will be winners, all the givers will receive. Here's to trouble-free tomorrows, may your sorrows all be small. Here's to the losers: bless them all
Sinatra "Here's to the Losers"

#22 MikeinFolsom

MikeinFolsom

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 11:35 AM

You are right.....Folsom Prison did make this a podunk town. Not much here before Intel though....was there? I say......The Microprocessor Mile.

#23 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 01:20 PM

QUOTE(john @ Jun 21 2008, 09:08 AM) View Post
I think everyone is missing the tourism that the bridge could attract... next to the bridge, you could put a statue of Johnny Cash, sitting on his stool, playing facing the prison. (Tell me people wouldn't pull over to get their picture taken in front of that!)

Like it or not folks, Folsom Prison and Johnny Cash is what made this town. Long before Intel, we were a prison town.

I think John has a point. It would give people a reason to stop by Folsom and take photos. Besides, I like the idea of the double entendre of "Cash Crossing" because of all the moola the closing of The Dam(n) Road has cost local businesses and residents.

#24 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Photography, Travel, Art

Posted 21 June 2008 - 01:52 PM

QUOTE(john @ Jun 21 2008, 09:08 AM) View Post

I agree, and so far the results show we are in the majority.... Sorry Bill and camay

Travel, food and drink blog by Davehttp://davestravels.tv

#25 camay2327

camay2327

GO NAVY

• 11,481 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 01:58 PM

QUOTE(davburr @ Jun 21 2008, 02:52 PM) View Post
I agree, and so far the results show we are in the majority.... Sorry Bill and camay

---

Dave, I did not say Johnny Cash was wrong for Folsom, I asked if anyone asked his organization for permission...
A VETERAN Whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount "up to and including their life". That is HONOR, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -Author unknown-

#26 Andrea V

Andrea V

Girl ur mom warned u about!

• Premium Member
  • 5,657 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 04:10 PM

I voted for Folsom Damn bridge... but after reading this, I think the J.C bridge is better.

I change my vote!
<3

#27 MikeinFolsom

MikeinFolsom

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 04:59 PM

Yeah, like most politicians. Go with the front runner.

#28 Andrea V

Andrea V

Girl ur mom warned u about!

• Premium Member
  • 5,657 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 05:07 PM

QUOTE(MikeinFolsom @ Jun 21 2008, 05:59 PM) View Post
Yeah, like most politicians. Go with the front runner.

no, I still want Hillary! laugh.gif
<3

#29 MikeinFolsom

MikeinFolsom

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 05:17 PM

Oy! Touche'

#30 Folsom Mike

Folsom Mike

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:Geography, Music, Movies, Weather, Photography, Hiking, Camping, Weights, Stocks, Computer stuff

Posted 21 June 2008 - 06:11 PM

After living here my whole life, I find the prison to be the worst piece of property on this city. And now people want this great new bridge named after someone who wrote a song about this house of criminals, who had little to do with our city's prominence at all. Why can't we name the bridge just for what it is (in the most eloquent way possible) like so many other great bridges. And yes the crossing will still be known as "the new bridge" because lake natoma crossing is just too clunky of a name.
Are you kidding baby...I put the GRRRRR in swinger baby....YEAH! lol

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mrperry/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users