12 replies to this topic

#1 Barb J

Barb J

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,121 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 03:51 PM

Our backyard lawn is infested with spiders. They are small, brown and VERY quick! I wanted to take a picture of it so I could post it but they are super fast. They are all over and don't seem to be aggressive but obviously not comfortable with letting my kids out there barefoot! When I am out there picking the nutgrass (another infestation!) they scatter. We applied a storebought insecticide for the grass this past weekend and I was just out there and saw a ton of the little guys all over.

Has anyone had eperience with this? I know that the likely advice is to call an exterminator but the cost is just not in the budget right now. We might have to make it work though if we can't get rid of them ourselves. Was wondering if this is a common thing or if we just have a spider colony living in our grass! Haven't heard anything from our neighbors and they don't seem to be in the front lawn.

And no they aren't brown recluse's and no I'm not worried that they are poisonous. Just bothersome and nasty to have in my backyard!

Any feedback is appreciated.

#2 momof1

momof1

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 05:36 PM

Our backyard lawn is infested with spiders. They are small, brown and VERY quick! I wanted to take a picture of it so I could post it but they are super fast. They are all over and don't seem to be aggressive but obviously not comfortable with letting my kids out there barefoot! When I am out there picking the nutgrass (another infestation!) they scatter. We applied a storebought insecticide for the grass this past weekend and I was just out there and saw a ton of the little guys all over.

Has anyone had eperience with this? I know that the likely advice is to call an exterminator but the cost is just not in the budget right now. We might have to make it work though if we can't get rid of them ourselves. Was wondering if this is a common thing or if we just have a spider colony living in our grass! Haven't heard anything from our neighbors and they don't seem to be in the front lawn.

And no they aren't brown recluse's and no I'm not worried that they are poisonous. Just bothersome and nasty to have in my backyard!

Any feedback is appreciated.

Does it look like this?

Posted Image

This is known as a grass spider.

Don't know what to tell you about eradicating them, I know I hate to spray my lawn with strong bug killers as it always ends up killing off the worms as well.

And spiders seem to be tougher than the average bug when it comes to killing them. I've used fog sprays for flies and stuff and that seems to work on them without causing a sudden die off of worms, but I doubt it will work on your spiders.

For more info on identifying your California Spider, try this website

#3 Barb J

Barb J

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,121 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 12:46 PM

Similar to that one. I stopped a Pest control guy who was working in our neighbors yard and he said it's pretty common - they are called jumping spiders. He suggested to douse the lawn with a spider specific insecticide so we did that yesterday. So far so good, went out and it didn't see any live ones!

Thanks!
Barb J

#4 (MaxineR)

(MaxineR)
  • Visitors

Posted 29 September 2011 - 04:25 PM

My husband was digging out our flower bed in back and unearthed a huge spider I think was a tarantula, that seemed to run very fast for that species. But then, I don't know that much about tarantulas.

He mashed it against the fence and I noticed the body size, not including the legs, was about 6-7". The rake was medal.

I know the male tarantulas go out at night in search of females, so be prepared to meet up with one if you are outside in your yard after dark.

I absolutely HATE spiders!

#5 Sarah2421

Sarah2421

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 08:23 AM

Barb,
What lawn spray did you use? Did it work? We have the same problem, tons of spiders in our lawn and gravel, and I've been trying to find something that could work! Just the thought of going out the in sandals or having kids play out there grosses me out!
Thanks!

#6 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 10:30 AM

I have never ever heard of those spiders hurting anyone. they are totally harmless. the pesticides, on the other hand, are well documented as hazardous materials. I'll take spiders any day of the week.
Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

#7 folsom500

folsom500

Folsom Gardner

• 6,562 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 10:53 AM

Barb,
What lawn spray did you use? Did it work? We have the same problem, tons of spiders in our lawn and gravel, and I've been trying to find something that could work! Just the thought of going out the in sandals or having kids play out there grosses me out!
Thanks!

You might try diatomaceous-earth for critters- It is natural and fairly safe- Not the same as the DE you might use in your Pool...

See http://www.tidbitsan...omaceous-earth/

Another great  day in the adventure of exploration and sight.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has"
-Margaret Mead-

#8 (MaxineR)

(MaxineR)
  • Visitors

Posted 16 April 2012 - 01:55 PM

Some spiders can and will bite under the right conditions. Although the bite may not be poisonous, the chance for infection is a concern, due to scratching them.

I would check children playing outside, for any bites and treat them with alcohol or an antibacterial cream.

Thanks for the tip Folsom500! Where can it be purchased?

#9 tsukiji

tsukiji

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,790 posts
  • Interests:Freedom. Family. Food. Funds.

Posted 16 April 2012 - 02:03 PM

You might try diatomaceous-earth for critters- It is natural and fairly safe- Not the same as the DE you might use in your Pool...

See http://www.tidbitsan...omaceous-earth/

What happens after applying to the yard? Does it integrated into the ground (even clay?) or does it remain separate as a particulate? How long does it last?

I'm concerned about its use in areas where we garden, where pets go, etc.

#10 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 03:19 PM

What happens after applying to the yard? Does it integrated into the ground (even clay?) or does it remain separate as a particulate? How long does it last?

I'm concerned about its use in areas where we garden, where pets go, etc.

As long as you use the food-grade it won't harm your pets. I've even read it can be used as a wormer. Just be sure not to get the pool-grade because it is toxic to pets.

Also, I use DE very sparingly as it will kill beneficial insects. I like to keep the good bugs around. I use it in areas where earwigs can hide such as the edges of planters.

#11 MrsTuffPaws

MrsTuffPaws

Crazy Lady

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,390 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 03:50 PM

I went to college thinking it would make me a better person, not a better employee. I guess I'm old fashioned that way.

edit
:Oops, wrong thread. How did that happen? Oh well.

#12 UncleVinny

UncleVinny

"Can't we all just get along?"

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,088 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 12:33 PM

Even if you hate spiders, you don't have to kill them.
:lmaosmiley:
Spread some bird seed around and the birds will eat both the seeds and the spider.
"In this world of trouble and strife, bring some peace to someone's life"

#13 (MaxineR)

(MaxineR)
  • Visitors

Posted 19 April 2012 - 01:31 PM

Even if you hate spiders, you don't have to kill them.
:lmaosmiley:
Spread some bird seed around and the birds will eat both the seeds and the spider.

Ha, I tired that one and I got sprouts of the seeds growing in my lawn. They were a real problem to get out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users