33 replies to this topic

#1 bordercolliefan

bordercolliefan

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,596 posts

Posted 05 December 2016 - 08:25 AM

This story is truly horrifying and devastating. I just can't stop thinking about all those young people, trapped in flames, unable to find their way out. It sounds like something that would happen in a Third World Country, not here in the U.S.

I believe someone will (and should) go to jail for this. The owners of the building insist that "no one was living there," but I think they knew and looked the other way.

It is a reminder that deadly fires really can still happen. All of us have lived in questionable places during college and afterwards (I lived in a triple-decker in a town we affectionately called "Slummerville" [Somerville, MA--now very gentrified!]). With 2 kids approaching college age, I will try to pay attention to the safety of places they might choose to live.

#2 (Folsom Trails)

(Folsom Trails)
  • Visitors

Posted 06 December 2016 - 06:12 AM

Very sad. The blame has to be on the city imo. I do hope some heads roll.

#3 folsom500

folsom500

Folsom Gardner

• 6,562 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 07:26 AM

Truly a tragic 3rd world type situation in Oakland.    I do not know if there had been other warnings or city knowledge of issues in this warehouse, but

It would be impossible for a city to fully be aware and have knowledge of every unsafe situation within that ( or any ) city... 

Another great  day in the adventure of exploration and sight.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has"
-Margaret Mead-

#4 bordercolliefan

bordercolliefan

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,596 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 08:44 AM

Truly a tragic 3rd world type situation in Oakland.    I do not know if there had been other warnings or city knowledge of issues in this warehouse, but
  It would be impossible for a city to fully be aware and have knowledge of every unsafe situation within that ( or any ) city...

The city had several complaints that should have tipped them off. Illegal trash and debris piling up, noise at all hours... apparently they had tried to enter and inspect, but had been turned away at the door. So the city was aware that something was going on, but perhaps they should have acted with more alacrity.

#5 Who_Do_You_Trust

Who_Do_You_Trust

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 08:53 AM

This seems to be a convergence of many failings - 

1)  The economics of living in a big urban city force some people to seek out "housing" that is something far less than adequate, but affordable.

2)  Building owners will do the minimum to maintain their buildings.  It's all about money.

3)  Cities have building codes for a reason.  They should be enforced on a regular basis, but aren't.  People complain about high taxes, then they complain about the lack of city services.  Again, it's all about money.

and here's the saddest part.  A $20 bill to buy a couple of smoke detectors at Home Depot would have saved most if not all of these lives.  Common sense took a holiday in Oakland. 

#6 2 Aces

2 Aces

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,403 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 09:09 AM

Buildings like this exist all over America RIGHT THIS MINUTE.

I suspect that city building inspectors are somewhat fearful of being too aggressive as far as inspections go. You have NO IDEA who is in there, and since they don't make that much money, why would we expect them to risk their lives? So what ends up happening is that the inspector sends letters to the owners...and you know what the owners do with those letters, right?

And it's not a law enforcement thing...they have more important things to do...until the place burns down in a fiery inferno.

Oh, and *smoke detectors*?? Please. The staircase was made out of old wooden pallets and collapsed. And it would have collapsed if the smoke detectors were there and people rushed to get out. Would have made ZERO difference.

1480847955296.jpg?ve=1&tl=1

#7 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts
  • Interests:Sole proprietor: Tailored Resume Services
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 06 December 2016 - 10:24 AM

Tips regarding fire hazard/unsafe conditions and that people were residing there were made to the city...I believe in November. Inspectors went out, but couldn't gain access....and never went back. They should have followed up.

Here's a link to an article that indicates the city missed several opportunities to discover hazardous conditions at this warehouse: http://www.mercuryne...-at-ghost-ship/

Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child
Making a Difference in the Life of Abused and Neglected Children in Foster Care
http://www.sacramentocasa.org/

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

#8 Who_Do_You_Trust

Who_Do_You_Trust

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 10:56 AM

2 Aces - 

The purpose of smoke alarms is to give early warming of a fire or smoke.  A few smoke detectors in this warehouse would have detected the fire when it was size of a couple sheets of paper and provided a warning.  Smoke alarms are very sensitive.  Try it yourself.  light a piece of paper in a room with a smoke alarm and I bet it will go off within 30 seconds.  plenty of time to evacuate and long before the fire spreads to anything in the room.

Every building code in the country requires smoke alarms and it must be for a good reason.  the data show that the death rate in homes with smoke alarms is less than half that of homes without smoke alarms.   Here is a link to the NFPA website that shows the data -

http://www.nfpa.org/news-and-research/fire-statistics-and-reports/fire-statistics/fire-safety-equipment/smoke-alarms-in-us-home-fires 

#9 (Folsom Trails)

(Folsom Trails)
  • Visitors

Posted 06 December 2016 - 11:05 AM

Totally agree that smoke detectors would have saved lives. Duh

#10 bordercolliefan

bordercolliefan

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,596 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 12:46 PM

Certainly smoke alarms would have been good, but there were multiple factors that contributed to the tragedy.

A witness reported on the radio this morning that the entire place was engulfed within 3-5 minutes. He said it was an unbelievable firestorm, no doubt because the building was filled with old furniture, carpets, pallets, etc. The witness also reported that the interior was a true rabbit warren of cubbies, rooms blocked off with plywood, makeshift lofts, etc. He said the lights went off within a minute of the fire starting, leaving everyone trapped in a pitch-dark unfamiliar maze with no idea where the exits were and lots of dead ends.

Hearing his harrowing account makes one realize the rationale for many fire code regulations, including multiple exits with LIT exit signs, a sprinkler system, and clear wide corridors.

#11 2 Aces

2 Aces

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,403 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 12:57 PM

Hearing his harrowing account makes one realize the rationale for many fire code regulations, including multiple exits with LIT exit signs, a sprinkler system, and clear wide corridors.

Well, considering that this building was, for all intents and purposes, an ABANDONED building, good luck having it comply with all the usual regulations. Ain't gonna happen.

#12 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 01:12 PM

they said bodies were found in groups of two, four, six, huddled together and on top of each other, indicating they likely never maddest off the second floor and crashed together in a huddle to the ground floor.

prescient name for the place...it appears to be a true Ghost Ship now.  awful.  

Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

#13 bordercolliefan

bordercolliefan

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,596 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 01:31 PM

Well, considering that this building was, for all intents and purposes, an ABANDONED building, good luck having it comply with all the usual regulations. Ain't gonna happen.

It was not an abandoned building. The owner has been identified, and was collecting rent for the building as a "24 hour artist work space." This individual (for some reason I think it's a woman) said that she had "no idea" artists were living there.

Also, there was a house manager who lived there with his wife and children. He collected rent each month from all the people living there, which he then paid to the owner. The tenants were under instructions to hide evidence they were sleeping there if anyone came to inspect.

I think someone should, and will, go to jail for this.

#14 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts
  • Interests:Sole proprietor: Tailored Resume Services
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 06 December 2016 - 02:35 PM

It was not an abandoned building. The owner has been identified, and was collecting rent for the building as a "24 hour artist work space." This individual (for some reason I think it's a woman) said that she had "no idea" artists were living there.

Also, there was a house manager who lived there with his wife and children. He collected rent each month from all the people living there, which he then paid to the owner. The tenants were under instructions to hide evidence they were sleeping there if anyone came to inspect.

I think someone should, and will, go to jail for this.

Yep!

Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child
Making a Difference in the Life of Abused and Neglected Children in Foster Care
http://www.sacramentocasa.org/

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

#15 2 Aces

2 Aces

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,403 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 02:53 PM

Let me clarify: The *original purpose* of this warehouse was ABANDONED some time ago. That usually leads to problems, especially in particular cities in America. I can think of several people who should be held accountable, and Oakland City Hall should not be exempt.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users