19 replies to this topic

#16 Carl G

Carl G

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 23 May 2016 - 02:50 PM

Agree with Joe. If I find a place with great salsa, then I'll make a special trip there just to buy a quart at a time to keep at home. Haven't seemed to find any great salsas at the grocery stores, including Trader Joes.

I don't want to hijack this tread especially since I have been there in several years, but Sal's Taco's in West Sacramento had the absolute best salsa bar.  Chips were out of a bag, but the the salsa made up for it.

#17 bordercolliefan

bordercolliefan

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,596 posts

Posted 23 May 2016 - 02:54 PM

This is a bummer - I wonder what happened? 

Well it's fortunate that we just recently got a new taqueria in town: Sutter Street Taqueria. I've been there several times and their food is seriously tasty! Be prepared that the prices are a little higher and chips and salsa cost extra, but the quality of the ingredients in the tacos and burritos is definitely a step above any of the other places in town. If La Fiesta is truly slipping, they picked a bad time to do it. Go check out SST (yes, I just made up a new acronym).

I liked the burritos at SST, but I do feel their failure to offer a chips and salsa bar is going to be a real problem, considering all the other Mexican places do. It is also a little cramped, which will limit how much business they can do. It is a great diversification of Sutter Street food offerings though-- there are too many wine/bar/café places and not enough real food.

#18 redman

redman

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 04:22 PM

I worry too that Folsomites will judge them harshly because of lack of free chips/salsa. What I have found is that the quality of all their other ingredients makes up for that. They have a nice variety of delicious meats including chile verde shredded chicken which is both unique and super tasty. The rice and beans are perfectly cooked every time, and the tortillas are high quality. I can tell that they took the money saved from free chips/salsa and invested it elsewhere that pays off for customers. But Folsomites have certain expectations that they will have to work hard to overcome. 

#19 Sandman

Sandman

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 27 June 2016 - 03:31 PM

Ate at La Fiesta twice in the last week and it has been every bit as good as I can remember. Yes they have gone through some turnover in Folsom likely due to the new Roseville location but dont be so fast to write this place off. Still one of the best mexican joints in town IMO.

#20 redman

redman

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 28 June 2016 - 08:43 AM

I was at La Fiesta a few weeks ago and the food was the same as I remembered. Many of the workers were different though.

But in any case, I won't be going there as often anymore because my wife and I have become huge fans of Sutter Street Taqueria. And my wife is very picky about Mexican food so that's saying something. You don't get the free chips and salsa bar there, but the quality of ingredients and the taste is a big step above La Fiesta, so you are getting something in return for paying for chips. 

They just extended their hours to now close at 9 pm instead of 7, and they have scheduled their official grand opening for July 14. They added super nachos to the menu and also will be introducing al pastor as a meat option, and breakfast burritos soon. So they are getting settled in. Usually when we go there, the place is pretty busy. Also, it's just nicer to hang out on Sutter Street, and after a tasty burrito we can swing by Snooks for a sundae. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users