124 replies to this topic

#1 john

john

Founder

• Admin
  • 9,841 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 09:22 PM

Hey everyone -

The past few months on this forum have seen an excessive amount of bizarre posts, tangents, and outright thread-jacks. I have gotten a ton of PM's about this.

It's got to stop.

For some reason, a number of posters are trying to "out-bizarre" each other, an what appears to be a contest to become the biggest village idiot. It was cute at first, funny at times. But it's seriously out of control. It's difficult to read any posts any more without reading a number of immature comments and tangents about apes or Hillary Clinton. You know who you are, I'm not pointing fingers. Each of you I respect as individuals, I really do... but there's a point where someone has to say stop. I know people think they are just being silly and think it's funny, but it's just getting old. We're losing members because of this.

The rudeness has got to stop too. Just because you have an anonymous ID doesn't give the right to be a jerk.

All I'm saying is - let's get back to discussing Folsom. Without the rude or random comments that make no sense. A few wisecracks are one thing, but the outright threadjacks are out of control.

Thank you.

#2 kprincesskate

kprincesskate

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 09:29 PM

Thank you for this. Frankly, I have steered away from MyFolsom over the past months because of this very issue. I hope that we can all grow up and move to having adult conversations again!
The whole of life is but a moment of time. It is our duty, therefore to use it, not to misuse it.

#3 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,361 posts
  • Interests:Sole proprietor: Tailored Resume Services
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 20 December 2007 - 09:52 PM

Thank you, John!
Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child
Making a Difference in the Life of Abused and Neglected Children in Foster Care
http://www.sacramentocasa.org/

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

#4 Silverado

Silverado

Superstar

• Photographer
  • 782 posts
  • Interests:Photography, ATVs, Jeepin', the Great Outdoors

Posted 20 December 2007 - 09:57 PM

Hear hear!
The inconsistencies are so compounded as to present a seemingly impossible phenomenon. -Mr. Spock

#5 Phonon

Phonon

Superstar

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts
  • Interests:hike camp kayak bike sleep

Posted 20 December 2007 - 10:06 PM

I've found the IGNORE function quite helpful. However, when the people on the IGNORE list post so frequently, its difficult to follow the flow of the conversation.

#6 SunshineServices

SunshineServices

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 10:18 PM

Thanks for this John, it has become quite amazing to me what some people will chime in with just to hear themselves type. Let's keep the topics short and to the point, if you have some inane comment please keep it to yourself. How some topics grow to many pages full of absolute drivel is truly astonishing and a waste of time. There are folks out there with THOUSANDS of posts!

jeff

When The Power Of Love Overcomes The Love Of Power The World Will Know Peace.

Jimi Hendrix

#7 _john_doe_

_john_doe_

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 11:33 PM

As I tell my Wife. Tell me what you want, or how you want it. But you can only pick one.

As I understand it, the whole point in a discussion forum is that it's open for discussion. This includes a large variety of topics. Hence the different forums. If you only want discussions about Folsom, then only create one forum, called "Folsom Topics". I may have flawed logic but once you open the forum to other discussions, you invite such threads to happen.

Now, I'm not disagreeing with you, don't get me wrong, but I think as a provider of a forum, this is par for the course. If you don't like the discussions, ban them. As is done with other topics around here.
What work I have done I have done because it has been play. If it had been work I shouldn't have done it. Who was it who said, "Blessed is the man who has found his work"? Whoever it was he had the right idea in his mind. Mark you, he says his work--not somebody else's work. The work that is really a man's own work is play and not work at all. Cursed is the man who has found some other man's work and cannot lose it. When we talk about the great workers of the world we really mean the great players of the world. The fellows who groan and sweat under the weary load of toil that they bear never can hope to do anything great. How can they when their souls are in a ferment of revolt against the employment of their hands and brains? The product of slavery, intellectual or physical, can never be great.
Mark Twain

#8 ngilbert

ngilbert

Rainbow Bridge Troll

• Premium Member
  • 5,368 posts
  • Interests:filling out questionaires

Posted 21 December 2007 - 06:39 AM

Point taken. You will only see me mention apes when it's relevent and never in a rude way.

"Here's the last toast of the evening: Here's to those who still believe. All the losers will be winners, all the givers will receive. Here's to trouble-free tomorrows, may your sorrows all be small. Here's to the losers: bless them all
Sinatra "Here's to the Losers"

#9 old soldier

old soldier

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,715 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 08:34 AM

good idea, some posts I can't even understand. missed the one on apes, I would never say that about anybody

I have lived in folsom a lot of years and don't think we have a village idiot. would this be an elected or appointed position I wonder

#10 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 08:56 AM

Well then why can't we just get a section that all hijacked threads go into?
Personally, I think that the hijacked threads become more interesting once they get hijacked.
Afterall, where else are you going to learn about the upcoming civil procedures for the right of apes and wherewolves; if not in your community forum? Don't they have rights?
I mean really they should....oh wait....I'm doing it again. Drat.

I think it's kinda funny someone who has not been named is sulking in another forum over apes and wherewolves.

Must be a pansy. I'd offer him/her a silver cross and bow but the pansy is probably a conscientious objector and would find it objectionable to use it.

doh...I'm doing it again. Ok, ok.....I'll try to keep my threadjacking to a minimum.

#11 Jolene

Jolene

Well-versed in how I might be cursed.

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,076 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 09:07 AM

Wow. As much as I hate censorship of ANY web forum, I'm all for John straight out deleting posts that are incredibly rude and go against something that he was very seriously asking.

Thanks for your efforts with this forum, John.
THANK YOU FOR SUPPORTING MY GIRL.
We could not be doing this without you.
Much love and gratitude.

#12 sat

sat

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 09:18 AM

I really don't mind the bizarre posts, it's just the posts that are incredibly rude. Someone can post a newsworthy post, and someone else will respond like, who cares? It makes me afraid to bring up any topic for fear of the backlash. There is so much negativity on this forum lately.

#13 ngilbert

ngilbert

Rainbow Bridge Troll

• Premium Member
  • 5,368 posts
  • Interests:filling out questionaires

Posted 21 December 2007 - 09:18 AM

QUOTE(old soldier @ Dec 21 2007, 08:34 AM)  
good idea, some posts I can't even understand. missed the one on apes, I would never say that about anybody

Okay - the ape thing was clearly directed at me (and GeneralUrko2004, but he doesn't post here anymore) so, just so no one misunderstands, I *never* have, nor would ever, call a human an ape, any more than I would call an ape a monkey, or a monkey a human. Yes, we are all primates, but there are key biological distinctions (having or not having tails, or opposable thumbs) that... nevermind. I don't need to be warned twice. I'm just saying, I haven't called anyone here names ever.

QUOTE(old soldier @ Dec 21 2007, 08:34 AM)  
I have lived in folsom a lot of years and don't think we have a village idiot. would this be an elected or appointed position I wonder

Villiage Idiot is a largely ceremonial figurehead position. There's no real authority aside from supervising a small staff of Villiage Morons who do your administrative ...

Sorry John. Doing it again. I'll stop.

I just wanted to clear my name on that ape thing. I may be bizarre sometimes, but I've made it a point not to be cruel.
"Here's the last toast of the evening: Here's to those who still believe. All the losers will be winners, all the givers will receive. Here's to trouble-free tomorrows, may your sorrows all be small. Here's to the losers: bless them all
Sinatra "Here's to the Losers"

#14 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Photography, Travel, Art

Posted 21 December 2007 - 09:19 AM

QUOTE(ngilbert @ Dec 21 2007, 09:18 AM)  
Okay - the ape thing was clearly directed at me (and GeneralUrko2004, but he doesn't post here anymore) so, just so no one misunderstands, I *never* have, nor would ever, call a human an ape, any more than I would call an ape a monkey, or a monkey a human. Yes, we are all primates, but there are key biological distinctions (having or not having tails, or opposable thumbs) that... nevermind. I don't need to be warned twice. I'm just saying, I haven't called anyone here names ever.

Villiage Idiot is a largely ceremonial figurehead position. There's no real authority aside from supervising a small staff of Villiage Morons who do your administrative ...

Sorry John. Doing it again. I'll stop.

I just wanted to clear my name on that ape thing.

dang troublemakers....

Travel, food and drink blog by Davehttp://davestravels.tv

#15 ChipShot

ChipShot

Golfer-In-Chief

• Banned
  • 5,992 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 09:21 AM

OK, I confess, the Hillary Clinton shot was aimed directly at me, and I plead guilty. From now on, I'm gonna search high and low for flattering pics of the lovely Mrs. Clinton. Just give me time. I may need it.

[attachment=1552:hill2.jpg]

OK, is that better ??
I have opinions, you have opinions. We'll just call it even...is that OK ??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users