• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Folsom Families

Folsom Families

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 October 2004 - 06:40 PM

Folsom Families is a new non profit organization that is focused on providing the community with a net work of services. Our first event will be a community gathering where our services will be announced, and families will be invited to join our group. This organization is open to every one, and no one will be rejected due to race, religion or other personal orientation.
The objective is to build a strong community of parents and families, for the benefit of all, bust mostly children.
Some of our activities will involve organizing play groups, parenting awareness and support groups, as well as developing a non profit child care center.
For any one who is interested in involvement, we will be inviting select community members to join our planning and development committee.
Please post any questions or comments in this forum, and check back for up dates.

#2 bordercolliefan

bordercolliefan

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,596 posts

Posted 07 October 2004 - 11:54 AM

Who are the organizers of this group?

Is there a governing philosophy? Is there something particular that caused you to feel such a group is necessary or beneficial in Folsom?

What type of child care center do you envision? Will it be a particular type -- e.g., developmental, Montessori, academic, etc.? How far along are you in the planning process? (It seems like anyone who joins the group now will be done with the preschool years before the child care center is built, licensed, and opened). Do you feel there is something lacking in Folsom's existing preschool options?

I don't mean to interrogate you but I am just curious to get a better idea of what you are envisioning. I have 2 girls, ages 4 and 5. So far we have been satisfied with the preschool options already available in Folsom (we're at Sundance Montessori and love it). We have also been active participants in Sierra Moms, a non-profit network of Folsom and EDH moms, which runs a large number of local playgroups as well as special events and educational meetings. --It sounds like you feel your group can add something or provide an alternative to these resources -- I am curious to learn more.

#3 forumreader

forumreader

Living Legend

• Registered Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,897 posts

Posted 08 October 2004 - 01:44 PM

Good questions, bordercollie. I'd be interested in learning much more about Folsom Families before having to go to an informational meeting.... I have too many meetings to attend as it is! smile.gif

#4 Erika

Erika

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts

Posted 08 October 2004 - 03:51 PM

QUOTE(bordercolliefan @ Oct 7 2004, 11:54 AM)
So far we have been satisfied with the preschool options already available in Folsom (we're at Sundance Montessori and love it). 

View Post

In light of this discussion what does preschool at Sundance Montessori cost? How about a child going a couple days a week? I'm curious at the cost of a decent preschool around here.

#5 (Gaelic925)

(Gaelic925)
  • Visitors

Posted 08 October 2004 - 08:56 PM

QUOTE(Erika @ Oct 8 2004, 04:51 PM)
In light of this discussion what does preschool at Sundance Montessori cost?  How about a child going a couple days a week?  I'm curious at the cost of a decent preschool around here.

View Post

hello biggrin.gif We just moved to Folsom. I was just wondering if any of you had any information on any mom groups or any other groups for small kids. I have two small children, 2 and 3 years old. thanks.

#6 Cloud9

Cloud9

Hopeless Addict

• Member*
  • 5,000 posts

Posted 08 October 2004 - 08:58 PM

Welcome! So where do you hail from?
"The important thing is not to stop questioning'' | "Imagination is more important than knowledge"
-- Albert Einstein--

http://folsomforum.com/

IPB Image

#7 bordercolliefan

bordercolliefan

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,596 posts

Posted 08 October 2004 - 09:22 PM

The big moms group in Folsom and EDH is Sierra Moms. They have a website, www.sierramoms.org. It is a non-profit, non-sectarian volunteer group of over 200 moms that has a monthly newsletter and runs a wide variety of play groups, craft groups, bunko groups, reading group, working moms group, babysitting co-op, etc. -- basically everything a mom with young kids might be interested in (and there is a Dads Group, too).

I highly recommend it -- an easy way to meet a lot of nice moms.

Re: the cost of Sundance. My younger daughter is there 3 afternoons a week and we pay about $265 per month. I'm not sure of their price for full days (i.e., 8 to 5 or something like that). I do know that the "big name" day care centers like Merryhill or Brighton run at least $1,000 a month for full-time child care. So, 2 full days a week would probably be something like $500 a month.

#8 Cloud9

Cloud9

Hopeless Addict

• Member*
  • 5,000 posts

Posted 08 October 2004 - 09:43 PM

I think Phoenix school runs somewhere around $136/wk for the pre-school....
"The important thing is not to stop questioning'' | "Imagination is more important than knowledge"
-- Albert Einstein--

IPB Image

#9 (Gaelic925)

(Gaelic925)
  • Visitors

Posted 09 October 2004 - 09:08 AM

QUOTE(Cloud9 @ Oct 8 2004, 09:58 PM)
Welcome!  So where do you hail from?

View Post

i am the other half of rlveloria, we hail from plymouth, ca. thanks for the welcome! i like these smilies! thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

#10 Gina99

Gina99

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 09 October 2004 - 10:25 AM

Check out http://www.matchingmoms.org also.

#11 Erika

Erika

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts

Posted 11 October 2004 - 09:03 AM

Thanks for the info on the cost of preschool.

#12 Cloud9

Cloud9

Hopeless Addict

• Member*
  • 5,000 posts

Posted 11 October 2004 - 11:34 AM

QUOTE(Erika @ Oct 11 2004, 09:03 AM)
Thanks for the info on the cost of preschool.

View Post

Montessori's waiting list is so long you should go in now and when they ask about the kid tell them you heard the waiting list is so long that you heard you should talk to them before having sex! biggrin.gif
-- Albert Einstein--

IPB Image

#13 Erika

Erika

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts

Posted 11 October 2004 - 11:48 AM

QUOTE(Cloud9 @ Oct 11 2004, 11:34 AM)
Montessori's waiting list is so long you should go in now and when they ask about the kid tell them you heard the waiting list is so long that you heard you should talk to them before having sex!  biggrin.gif

View Post

rofl.gif

#14 Erika

Erika

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts

Posted 11 October 2004 - 12:36 PM

I found this link from an earlier discussion on preschool and thought it was interesting.

Preschool

#15 Erika

Erika

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts

Posted 11 October 2004 - 12:50 PM

How long of a waiting list are you talking about Cloud? 1+ years?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users