42 replies to this topic

#16 bookwom

bookwom

Superstar

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 05:30 PM

Had 150 piece bag of candy, was left with 5 pieces! Lots of kids of all ages, cutie pies in princess and superhero costumes, polite teenagers. Very nice night.
I have a hard time deciphering the fine line between boredom and hunger.

#17 sat

sat

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 05:37 PM

We only had maybe 30-40 kids. I bought 150 candy bars, though by Halloween, my stash had dwindled down to 130 or so, thanks to my little gremlins. I thought we would have a big crowd with Halloween being on a Saturday. My kids all brought home huge bags of treats, so we are on sugar overload. I took a lot to work today, and the majority I am going to take to an orthodontist in El Dorado Hills who will in turn send the candy to the troops.

#18 asbestoshills

asbestoshills

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,811 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 08:11 AM

And don't forget they are going to pay you $1 a lbs!

BTW, What's up with GFFMat? If those kids can get the hang of Halloween and dress-up, I'm sure they know that you aren't suppose to take the entire bowl of candy? Maybe, some miss communication and you should have put your hand over the bowl after the first handful.....The kids could have thought that b/c it was late you were giving them the bowl? Not sure, but I bet there parents had no idea they took the whole bowl.....I'm not sure what you meant by goodbye America....That's kind of racist....Do you know how many white kids threw neighbor's pumpkins down the street...chalk it up to brats on Halloween...
Americans, don't just come in one color or race.

#19 Thinkingoutloud

Thinkingoutloud

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 08:31 AM

QUOTE (asbestoshills @ Nov 3 2009, 09:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Do you know how many white kids threw neighbor's pumpkins down the street...chalk it up to brats on Halloween...

Yeah, we lost one of our pumpkins. Teenagers... rolleyes.gif

#20 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 08:47 AM

QUOTE (Thinkingoutloud @ Nov 3 2009, 08:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah, we lost one of our pumpkins. Teenagers... rolleyes.gif

I always pull in my pumpkins when I shut down the free give-away. I will have to say, driving around the neighborhood on sunday, I can't recall seeing even one dead pumpkin on the road. Usually I see several that have been victimized.
I would rather be Backpacking

#21 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 08:51 AM

QUOTE (asbestoshills @ Nov 3 2009, 08:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

BTW, What's up with GFFMat? If those kids can get the hang of Halloween and dress-up, I'm sure they know that you aren't suppose to take the entire bowl of candy? Maybe, some miss communication and you should have put your hand over the bowl after the first handful.....The kids could have thought that b/c it was late you were giving them the bowl? Not sure, but I bet there parents had no idea they took the whole bowl.....I'm not sure what you meant by goodbye America....That's kind of racist....Do you know how many white kids threw neighbor's pumpkins down the street...chalk it up to brats on Halloween...

My neighborhood has had pumpkins thrown in the street by what I assumed were teenagers before, but I was never able to tell the race, so, no, I don't know how many white kids threw neighbors' pumpkins down the street. Do tell, asbestoshills, your secret for knowing the race of Halloween pranksters.

#22 Thinkingoutloud

Thinkingoutloud

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 09:23 AM

QUOTE (Bill Z @ Nov 3 2009, 09:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I always pull in my pumpkins when I shut down the free give-away. I will have to say, driving around the neighborhood on sunday, I can't recall seeing even one dead pumpkin on the road. Usually I see several that have been victimized.

My husband said it was my fault for buying one of those little sugar pumpkins. "Perfect for throwing" he said. biggrin.gif Next time I'll invest in one of the grandaddy 45 lbs. one. Be hard to pick up and throw one of those! tongue.gif

#23 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Photography, Travel, Art

Posted 03 November 2009 - 09:55 AM

QUOTE (ducky @ Nov 3 2009, 09:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My neighborhood has had pumpkins thrown in the street by what I assumed were teenagers before, but I was never able to tell the race, so, no, I don't know how many white kids threw neighbors' pumpkins down the street. Do tell, asbestoshills, your secret for knowing the race of Halloween pranksters.

good question

Travel, food and drink blog by Davehttp://davestravels.tv

#24 the_professor

the_professor

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 01:24 PM

QUOTE (GFFmatt @ Nov 1 2009, 07:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In addition, I think next year I'm going to wear an Obama mask, open the door, take kid's bags and poor half of it into my bowl and send them back on their way saying "thanks kids, this is for all the other kids who aren't out trick or treating!"

I dressed as Sarah Palin and stopped handing out candy half way through the night
so I could focus on my family!

#25 Robert Giacometti

Robert Giacometti

There are no Dumb questions

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,850 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 02:34 PM

QUOTE (asbestoshills @ Nov 3 2009, 08:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Do you know how many white kids threw neighbor's pumpkins down the street...

319, if you lived on Sutter Street.

#26 asbestoshills

asbestoshills

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,811 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 06:18 PM

QUOTE (ducky @ Nov 3 2009, 08:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sorry you couldn't feel the sarcasm in the post...I WAS showing the other poster how racist he was when he mentioned the race of the kids who took the candy and by implying America has gone to shiz b/c of how they took his candy...A bit of a stretch don't u think? I'm NOT sure why you didn't pick up on his overt racism, instead of my reply which was suppose to be just as inane...He says Goodbye to America b/c a few non-english speaking kids took some of his Halloween candy that he gave the bowl to? C'mon Ducky......BTW, the pranksters I saw throw pumpkins were white, but that's besides the point!
Americans, don't just come in one color or race.

#27 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 07:38 PM

QUOTE (asbestoshills @ Nov 3 2009, 06:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sorry you couldn't feel the sarcasm in the post...I WAS showing the other poster how racist he was when he mentioned the race of the kids who took the candy and by implying America has gone to shiz b/c of how they took his candy...A bit of a stretch don't u think? I'm NOT sure why you didn't pick up on his overt racism, instead of my reply which was suppose to be just as inane...He says Goodbye to America b/c a few non-english speaking kids took some of his Halloween candy that he gave the bowl to? C'mon Ducky......BTW, the pranksters I saw throw pumpkins were white, but that's besides the point!

I guess you didn't pick up on my subtle pot calling the kettle point. I'm so sick of everybody being called a racist.

So now you are saying you indeed saw white kids throwing pumpkins. Did you ask them to stop? Did you ask them to come back and clean it up? Or are you only brave and nasty on the Internet?

#28 GFFmatt

GFFmatt

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 09:33 PM

QUOTE (asbestoshills @ Nov 3 2009, 09:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

#1, I shouldn't have to "communicate" how many pieces of candy they should take. I never needed to stand wait for instructions when trick or treating. My parents taught me to take one and say THANK YOU. Which is exactly what I mean by "goodbye sweet America", as our values continue to decline in the youth. Racist? Yeah. That's me. I'm sure their parents DIDN'T know they were taking the whole bowl because even when I raised my voice and sarcastically asked "did you get enough?" I was speaking english, which I gathered by the lack of reaction from the kids or parents, is not their best subject. Which, by the way, my tax dollars pay for in public school.

And to EAH, my comments are specifically related to Halloween--should any mention of anything political be removed and placed in it's proper subcategory? If so, I suggest you keep your spellcheck gripes in the "arse-hat" forum.

Thank you, and goodnight.

#29 Robert Giacometti

Robert Giacometti

There are no Dumb questions

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,850 posts

Posted 04 November 2009 - 08:44 AM

QUOTE (asbestoshills @ Nov 3 2009, 06:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

GFFmatt never mentioned race.

They said NON English speaking, which could be German, Russian or any other non English speaking language.

You are the one who has brought race into this, when it wasn't about race, it was about his frustration over PEOPLE NOT UNDERSTANDING AMERICAN TRADITIONS.

Unfortunately, for some its always easier to throw out the race card without taking the time to listen to anothers perspective.

#30 Darth Lefty

Darth Lefty

Disco Infiltrator

• No Politics!
  • 5,578 posts
  • Interests:Volunteer with a service club like Active 20-30, and you CAN make a difference!

Posted 04 November 2009 - 09:18 AM

Request move to Hysterical Debate Forum
"I enjoy a bit of cooking, and this has always worried me. But it's OK. I only like it because it allows me to play with knives." - James May

Genesis 49:16-17
http://www.active2030folsom.org

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users