7 replies to this topic

#1 The Average Joe

The Average Joe

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,155 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 08:16 AM

The IRS is confiscating bank accounts of small businesses WITHOUT CHARGING THEM for a crime. This is government out of control. THIS is just another reason why you don't want big government. According to the Times, this is fairly common. Whatever happened to due process? Are we a nation of laws or not?  http://www.nytimes.c...uired.html?_r=1

... the I.R.S., which made 639 seizures in 2012, up from 114 in 2005. Only one in five was prosecuted as a criminal structuring case.

4th Amendment

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

6th Amendment

In all criminal prosecutions, the accused shall enjoy the right to a speedy and public trial, by an impartial jury of the State and district wherein the crime shall have been committed, which district shall have been previously ascertained by law, and to be informed of the nature and cause of the accusation; to be confronted with the witnesses against him; to have compulsory process for obtaining witnesses in his favor, and to have the Assistance of Counsel for his defence.

8th Amendment

Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive" -- C.S. Lewis

If the only way to combat "global warming" was to lower taxes, we would never hear of the issue again. - Anonymous

"Society in every state is a blessing, but Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one" — Thomas Paine, 𝘊𝘰𝘮𝘮𝘰𝘯 𝘚𝘦𝘯𝘴𝘦 (1776)

#2 Chris

Chris

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 7,857 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 05:01 PM

Be careful Joe, you may make the IRS "audit" list this year......?   CARB might also check on your "carbon emissions" to make sure you stay in line with the current group think of "climate change"....?   Maybe the next time you go in for a smog check on your car the state computer will "flag" you for elevated inspection or just to fail the test at great expense to you.   I could also see the local "sprinkler monitors" driving by your house to check your watering days and amounts.....  Could be a fine there for you....?   Maybe your views espoused here can make you out to be a  "right wing nut" or Tea Party supporter thus putting you on a DHS list somewhere to be watched closely and taken aside at airports for "advanced inspection".....?  Be careful my friend, this is how they, the left wing Federal, State, and Local political appointees, elected ones, and workers operate.  Not by rule of law or the Constitution but by political intimidation by other means, in every aspect of your daily life.   Chris  

1A - 2A = -1A

#3 UncleVinny

UncleVinny

"Can't we all just get along?"

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,088 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 06:57 AM

Yet another right-wing "Let's hate the government" non-issue.

I was involved in a major study of the IRS back in the 90s, and by FAR the worst crime is not by the IRS but by shady businessmen who deduct wages from employees, then never pay the government. They wait to be sued, and "settle" for paying about 10-cents on the dollar, so the rest of us poor suckers take up the slack while the big mucky-mucks buy their second Lear jets.

See: http://www.irs.gov/u...t-Tax-Practices

1. Pyramiding. "Pyramiding" of employment taxes is a fraudulent practice where a business withholds taxes from its employees but intentionally fails to remit them to the IRS. An often cause is a lack of profit or capital for operating costs, so the business owner uses the trust funds to pay other liabilities. The quarterly employment tax liabilities accumulate (or “pyramid”) until the employer has little hope of catching up. Businesses involved in pyramiding frequently shut down or file for bankruptcy and then start a new business under a different name starting the cycle over.

"In this world of trouble and strife, bring some peace to someone's life"

#4 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 07:15 AM

Yet another right-wing "Let's hate the government" non-issue.

I was involved in a major study of the IRS back in the 90s, and by FAR the worst crime is not by the IRS but by shady businessmen who deduct wages from employees, then never pay the government. They wait to be sued, and "settle" for paying about 10-cents on the dollar, so the rest of us poor suckers take up the slack while the big mucky-mucks buy their second Lear jets.

See: http://www.irs.gov/u...t-Tax-Practices

1. Pyramiding. "Pyramiding" of employment taxes is a fraudulent practice where a business withholds taxes from its employees but intentionally fails to remit them to the IRS. An often cause is a lack of profit or capital for operating costs, so the business owner uses the trust funds to pay other liabilities. The quarterly employment tax liabilities accumulate (or “pyramid”) until the employer has little hope of catching up. Businesses involved in pyramiding frequently shut down or file for bankruptcy and then start a new business under a different name starting the cycle over.

Your link says 117 individuals over three years.  Not exactly rampant.

In the OP it seems like they are targeting small businesses because they are easy to find and can't fight back. 

#5 The Average Joe

The Average Joe

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 7,155 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 09:16 PM

Vin. While interesting, your post is completely irrelevant. See, we have a thing here in America guaranteed by the Constitution called DUE PROCESS. That means the government is NOT allowed to confiscate your belonging without charge or cause.

And BTW, my "right wing" issue was brought up by those bastions of conservatism at the NYT.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive" -- C.S. Lewis

If the only way to combat "global warming" was to lower taxes, we would never hear of the issue again. - Anonymous

"Society in every state is a blessing, but Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one" — Thomas Paine, 𝘊𝘰𝘮𝘮𝘰𝘯 𝘚𝘦𝘯𝘴𝘦 (1776)

#6 UncleVinny

UncleVinny

"Can't we all just get along?"

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,088 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 05:53 AM

Well, in the original NY Times article we read the "problem" has been corrected already.

Quote:

On Thursday, in response to questions from The New York Times, the I.R.S. announced that it would curtail the practice, focusing instead on cases where the money is believed to have been acquired illegally or seizure is deemed justified by “exceptional circumstances.”

Ohh! Maybe the sky is NOT falling after all!

"In this world of trouble and strife, bring some peace to someone's life"

#7 The Average Joe

The Average Joe

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 7,155 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 07:34 AM

It is falling. "People in charge" thought it was a good policy to ignore due process. This is only one abuse we know about. And, it was only stopped by shining the light of the press on it. How many other processes are trampling individual's rights? One has to question WHY the practice was in place at all.

The issue is not necessarily the just IRS. The issue is UNACCOUNTABLE government agencies ignoring the rule of law. The EPA, local sheriff's departments, the DEA, ATF. ALL of these agencies have shown the same callous disregard for the rights of the individual. Those rights are guaranteed by the Constitution. See, the way it works is this. The Constitution specifies the INHERENT rights of the people. These rights are not given to us by government, BUT they can be taken away by government. The Constitution is not meant to limit the citizen, it is made to limit government.

When a government grows so large as to insinuate itself into every nook and cranny of our lives, there will be abuses. Especially when "the rules" are made by unaccountable political appointees. What is best for the people is cast aside for whatever agenda is in place at the time. And common sense is completely lacking because common sense is not the goal of big government. Control is. You may like having  government overlords decide the best way for you to live your life, I do not.

#8 Chris

Chris

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 7,857 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 06:01 PM

So TioVinny, your side want's to regulate my carbon emissions, my driving miles, my free speech (see the regulation of Drudge), my ammunition purchases, my purchases from legitimate businesses out of state, my firearms purchases,  my cell phone, and let foreign people from Mexico live off of us and go to college before my kids can and with a scholarship from the state.......!      All "caring" government for what I do every day and where I go....?   Why, not your business at all....!   Leave me alone to live my life the way I want....!   After all is it not the left who want to go about the world doing as they see fit, marry the one they love, etc.......!  Be free and answer to no one....!   I am all for that....!   Leave us alone to go about our business, that is the basis of the Constitution.....!    Government should leave us alone and to our own path in life as long as we don't infringe on the rights of others.......!   Stop taking my wealth and my hard earned dollars to fund medical care for the lazy, the sit at homes, the ones who do nothing to better themselves, the ones who take so many chances with their health and then realize at age 45, the drugs, the tattoos, the hep C, the many, many, times they should have worn a condom have come back to haunt them.......  Why do I have to pay for their poor choices when I knew all along from the same age that they were making poor choices.  They chose, they had their fun, now they pay in the end.........!   No, I pay for them....!  They sit at home and get their check from the state or the Feds while I am away from my family 13 hours a day making a living....!   Once again, the dems reward failure and punish success.....!   Wake up voters....!   The dems are not on your side...!     Chris

1A - 2A = -1A

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users