27 replies to this topic

#16 nomad

nomad

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,548 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 12:32 PM

Do they cause any fire risk? I'm constantly amazed that fireworks are OK in our dry, dry area in the summer.

Fireworks in Ca (as sold) don't fly, kids only use them in the street to burn the asphalt. A rocket can kinda go anywhere as the subject of this thread implies!

#17 cw68

cw68

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,370 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 12:38 PM

Fireworks in Ca (as sold) don't fly, kids only use them in the street to burn the asphalt. A rocket can kinda go anywhere as the subject of this thread implies!

IDK, I threw many fireworks as a kid; have permanent hearing damage because of do so even. They also spin around and can be lit on surfaces other than pavement. Like dirt bordered by brush. Think campgrounds, etc. Just seems kinda dumb to me, though I love fireworks and that I can legally play with them without having to drive to Kentucky to pick them up like we had to during my childhood.

#18 folsom500

folsom500

Folsom Gardner

• 6,562 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 12:43 PM

I am sure that those that use the rockets have the scientific training on trajectories and fall methods based on the working knowledge of gravity and winds as well as weight and size of the rocket and current wind and solar conditions.

That is why you have read above that they KNOW about where they have landed... Right ?

Nasa had the same issues in early launches...

Another great  day in the adventure of exploration and sight.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has"
-Margaret Mead-

#19 nomad

nomad

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,548 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 01:12 PM

I am sure that those that use the rockets have the scientific training on trajectories and fall methods based on the working knowledge of gravity and winds as well as weight and size of the rocket and current wind and solar conditions.

That is why you have read above that they KNOW about where they have landed... Right ?

Nasa had the same issues in early launches...

Well if I KNEW my rocket was going to land on a 2 story roof top I'd re-think my calculations.

#20 john

john

Founder

• Admin
  • 9,841 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 02:05 PM

soooo... nobody has found a rocket I take it? ;-)

#21 (The Dude)

(The Dude)
  • Visitors

Posted 25 April 2012 - 02:14 PM

It's on top a two story house, you'll need to borrow Kens big ladder. :-)

#22 SunshineServices

SunshineServices

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 02:15 PM

Hang on there Johnny, I hear there's some regulations in the works......... I was hoping half the scaredy-cats here had built themselves some bunkers for just such an occurrence. Maybe I should take out an ad. With all the unknowns of rocketry these days that is. Maybe you can sign us up for some scientific training?
When The Power Of Love Overcomes The Love Of Power The World Will Know Peace.

Jimi Hendrix

#23 The Average Joe

The Average Joe

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 7,155 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 02:29 PM

permits for rockets... 1 million dollars liability required to fly r/c planes at an airstrip built for r/c planes...

How's that utopia working out for ya?

Stupid nanny legislators, greedy city revenue collectors and slime of the earth injury ambulance chasers have ruined our culture.

We used to launch rockets and fly airplanes from our local middle school. Occasionally there was an unforeseen malfunction or pilot error which usually resulted in a knock on someone's door and a request to climb the lemon tree in their backyard. People usually laughed and were accommodating. Don't ever recall animosity or threats of lawsuit. Sigh...my kids will never know the things we have lost.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive" -- C.S. Lewis

If the only way to combat "global warming" was to lower taxes, we would never hear of the issue again. - Anonymous

"Society in every state is a blessing, but Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one" — Thomas Paine, 𝘊𝘰𝘮𝘮𝘰𝘯 𝘚𝘦𝘯𝘴𝘦 (1776)

#24 cw68

cw68

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 10,370 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 03:17 PM

Stupid nanny legislators, greedy city revenue collectors and slime of the earth injury ambulance chasers have ruined our culture.

It's not right to not share the blame on the people who can't take responsibility for their actions and instead have to blame someone else. They don't want personal responsibility, but they do want money.

#25 stangage70

stangage70

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 03:49 PM

Do they cause any fire risk? I'm constantly amazed that fireworks are OK in our dry, dry area in the summer.

Yes rockets are a fire risk - which is why you need a permit from the fire department. The engines ignite with heat. They review your proposed launch site as part of the permit process. The fire department and parks department often disagree on what is an ideal location. Different perspectives.

Fireworks are only legal during the dry, dry period known as summer. :) It's a narrow window of permission.

#26 Artofficially

Artofficially

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 06:45 AM

John I sent you an email regarding the rocket we found. Please contact me at 390-9217.
Mike

#27 Darth Lefty

Darth Lefty

Disco Infiltrator

• No Politics!
  • 5,578 posts
  • Interests:Volunteer with a service club like Active 20-30, and you CAN make a difference!

Posted 01 May 2012 - 08:02 AM

If you follow the regulations that have always, since I can remember, been shipped with every rocket and every pack of engines, you'll be fine. However, if you put rocket engines in your Pinewood Derby car or your GI Joe glider, bets are off.

Insurance for R/C airplane fields has long been the reason for the existence of the AMA.
"I enjoy a bit of cooking, and this has always worried me. But it's OK. I only like it because it allows me to play with knives." - James May

Genesis 49:16-17
http://www.active2030folsom.org

#28 john

john

Founder

• Admin
  • 9,841 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 12:28 PM

Just wanted to thank Artoficially - the rocket is back home, a happy return thanks to the wonderful community of MyFolsom.com!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users