#16 ChipShot

ChipShot

Golfer-In-Chief

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,992 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 10:33 AM

QUOTE(Darthvader @ Mar 31 2008, 11:26 AM) View Post
Yes they are all the same, they are all GHETTO. Make sure to point yours right at your neighbor's bedroom window as well so that when a cat or raccoon walks by it turns on for 30 minutes at 4am.

I know what you mean, although luckily it's in an area that will affect nobody. People need to know that they can usually adjust the setting so that every little gnat doesn't activate it (like the joker that lives behind us).
I have opinions, you have opinions. We'll just call it even...is that OK ??

#17 cw68

cw68

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 10,370 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 10:35 AM

QUOTE(ChipShot @ Mar 31 2008, 11:33 AM) View Post
I know what you mean, although luckily it's in an area that will affect nobody. People need to know that they can usually adjust the setting so that every little gnat doesn't activate it (like the joker that lives behind us).

Same with mine. It only illuminates the gate area and the side of my neighbor's RV. I actually have the light facing away from my neighbor's house and towards the street instead.

#18 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 10:48 AM

Hmm--you mention you have kids. Are they old enough to have friends roaming around at night?

If nothing was stolen--you might want to consider asking your kids if they have a friend that tried to come over and talk them into sneaking out at night.

Always best to know -- if that is the case--rather than letting the rest of the family feel fearful of burglar.

If I'm offbase and you have young tykes--forget my post.

Just a thought.

I'd hate to hear of you shooting your kids friend, though.

#19 camay2327

camay2327

GO NAVY

• 11,481 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 10:57 AM

I have two vehicles parked in front of my garage and I always leave the outside lights on at night. They are the Florescent bulbs so they don't cost me an arm and a leg. I do have the very loud alarm on the side door of the garage.
A VETERAN Whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount "up to and including their life". That is HONOR, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -Author unknown-

#20 larry89

larry89

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 09:30 PM

I will not be able to sleep good tonight.. I will keep a close watch on my family and my surroundings..

Good night Folsom sad.gif

#21 Jolene

Jolene

Well-versed in how I might be cursed.

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,076 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 09:52 PM

Your idea to get a dog is a good one. Our dog deterred one attempted burglar and is always on patrol. She's fantastic. I have never been a dog person, but now that I have young children, I have definitely changed my tune. If something unexpected happens to our pup, we will be right back out there getting another to help protect us.
THANK YOU FOR SUPPORTING MY GIRL.
We could not be doing this without you.
Much love and gratitude.

#22 cw68

cw68

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 10,370 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 08:11 AM

QUOTE(Jolene @ Mar 31 2008, 10:52 PM) View Post
Your idea to get a dog is a good one. Our dog deterred one attempted burglar and is always on patrol. She's fantastic. I have never been a dog person, but now that I have young children, I have definitely changed my tune. If something unexpected happens to our pup, we will be right back out there getting another to help protect us.

That's because Sugar ROCKS.

#23 tgianco

tgianco

Living Legend

• 4,152 posts
  • Interests:Baseball, soccer, football, poker, wine, good food, reading

Posted 01 April 2008 - 11:47 AM

QUOTE(Jolene @ Mar 31 2008, 10:52 PM) View Post

Dogs are great for home protection. Our dog is about 65lbs, so, while she may lose out to the human, she will certainly buy enough time for my wife and kids to get out. She would fight with every last breath.
In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball.

#24 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 01:11 PM

Unfortuneately, I have come to the conclusion that if my dog had opposable thumbs he would probably open the door for a steak.

Either that--or he is in cahoots with the catadonian empire uprising.

At this very moment he is lazily reclining on his sheepskin covered pillow--chewing on his giant pork hooves imported from the land of big ranches and discussing with his
household comrades how their gonna take over the world--one household accident at a time.

#25 Barb J

Barb J

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,121 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 04:04 PM

QUOTE(supermom @ Apr 1 2008, 02:11 PM) View Post
Unfortuneately, I have come to the conclusion that if my dog had opposable thumbs he would probably open the door for a steak.

Either that--or he is in cahoots with the catadonian empire uprising.

At this very moment he is lazily reclining on his sheepskin covered pillow--chewing on his giant pork hooves imported from the land of big ranches and discussing with his
household comrades how their gonna take over the world--one household accident at a time.

ha ha, I'm right there with you Supermom! My big mean vicious Rottweiler gets beat up by our cat, and would roll over to have her tummy rubbed by anyone who tried to break in! My husband thinks that she would "man up" in a sticky situation but I have my doubts!

But on the flip side, if a burgler breaks past our alarm, comes in the house and sees our 100 lb Rottie in the dark it would probably scare the bejesus out of him!

Barb

#26 M.E.G.

M.E.G.

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 05:25 PM

We also have one of those "love you to death" dogs! We have had a Smud contractor in my backyard (I was not aware), the dog did nothing. My oldest daughter had her boyfriend come in the back of the house one time to pick up clothes she needed. Boyfriend was concerned, daughter told him not to worry. And of course she was right! Last week my husband had a friend who was going to pick him up very early and then did not wake up. The friend was tapping on the front door, then proceeded to knock. The dog did not even bark!

The dog when someone comes to the door, feels as though he is official greeter. He wags his tail, woooo woooos and talks to people etc. But one day one of my young adult daughters(22) was home and answered a knock on the door. It was a stranger trying to sell something. She told me it was really weird. The dog stayed right beside her, never leaving to go out of the door to greet the person. Did not bark or "talk" like normal. He just kept an eye on the guy. She said the person made her feel uncomfortable and even more so because how the dog acted! After she closed the door the dog went back to playing with her. So I am hoping the dog has good instincts at least. Still I feel my chances for a guard dog are slim!

If you can't tell by my avatar the dog is an English Springer Spaniel!

M.E.G.

Mechelle Reasoner (formerly Gooch)

Movin'...So You Can!

Morris Williams Realty

Call or txt: 916 955-8698,

Email me

Read my blog, search for homes, find out more about Folsom at FolsomCorner.com

#27 sat

sat

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 06:10 PM

I know that, in reality, my two dogs could not even harm a fly, but at least they can bark. My Aussie can be inside the house, yet hear when the pool person comes through the gate to clean the pool, and he will bark until I reassure him that everything is OK. Even my little Poodle will yap away when he hears something out of the ordinary. I think having a dog (or dogs) is a real deterrent to potential burglars.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users