• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Famof4Yay

Famof4Yay

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 10:06 PM

Hi. I am strongly considering moving to the Folsom area. I have even found a nice home near the Carter St area that is perfect for my family. I have browsed over posts and have found a few that give some insight into the Prairie Oaks neighborhood but the posts aren't very recent. I have already heard the schools are awesome but I am now concerned about safety/crime and who better to hear from than actual residents! Thanks in advance for any info provided!

#2 john

john

Founder

• Admin
  • 9,841 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 10:43 PM

I live close by and it's very safe... I have heard of the occasional car break-in or crimes of opportunity, but honestly, Folsom is a very safe town. Neighbors (at least on my street) look out for each other - they know when people are out of place. Police are very responsive if anything ever arises.

welcome to MyFolsom! smile.gif

#3 tgianco

tgianco

Living Legend

• 4,152 posts
  • Interests:Baseball, soccer, football, poker, wine, good food, reading

Posted 23 October 2009 - 06:01 AM

We're off of Carter and haven't seen any crime (knocking on wood). You'll love it here.

Gallardo is a great school, and there are lots of very nice people here. Our neighbors are great.
In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball.

#4 asbestoshills

asbestoshills

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,811 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 07:36 AM

The trails are great and so are the schools. Crime is up in Folsom, but usually are crimes of opportunity like people who leave laptops in their unlocked cars etc...
Americans, don't just come in one color or race.

#5 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Photography, Travel, Art

Posted 23 October 2009 - 07:55 AM

Welcome to Folsom!

This is a great place to live and be very safe.

Travel, food and drink blog by Davehttp://davestravels.tv

#6 MrsTuffPaws

MrsTuffPaws

Crazy Lady

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,390 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 09:09 AM

You can look at our Police Log here. http://www.folsom.ca...log/default.asp My relatives laugh at how short it is, and hardly any of it is ever violent crime.

And I thought that there was a crime map at SacBee, but now I can't find it. You could go back a couple of years on that one, I kinda liked it.

Edit: Found it!!

#7 Inwit

Inwit

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 11:07 AM

My experience over the years is this is a great place to live. In my poorer days, I lived right next to one of the seediest parts of town, and even there, I felt safe.

Does crime happen here, well yes it does, but we don't have drive by shootings, I never hear of gang activity. It's a fairly safe place to live.
n. 1. Inward sense; mind; understanding; conscience.

#8 Zanzan

Zanzan

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 10:33 AM

We live very close to the house (I think) you are looking at. The only "crime" we have experienced since moving here was some rowdy Folsom High students who hid our rocking chair in a neighbor's backyard on the night of Homecoming. Seriously, that's Leave it to Beaver stuff. The neighbors are great, the school is fabulous and the location in Folsom cant' be beat. Hardly any traffic on the Prairie City offramp--most backups at rush hour off HWY 50 are on E. Bidwell or Folsom Blvd.

We love it here!

#9 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 12:04 PM

I've lived in my current home for ~16 years.
I plan on retiring here and dying here.
I would rather be Backpacking

#10 Famof4Yay

Famof4Yay

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 11:13 PM

Hi again.

Thank you all so much for your replies. They have been very helpful. I look forward to making Folsom my new home!

#11 tgianco

tgianco

Living Legend

• 4,152 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 05:34 AM

QUOTE (Famof4Yay @ Oct 26 2009, 12:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi again.

Thank you all so much for your replies. They have been very helpful. I look forward to making Folsom my new home!

You'll love it here.

Where are you moving from? It sounds like you have two children, and this is a great town for kids.

#12 Famof4Yay

Famof4Yay

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 12:16 AM

We currently live in Vallejo. My husband and I have 2 great kids. We have lived here for almost 10 years. When I first moved to Vallejo, the schools were great and the area was a nice place to raise a family. When my son was still in elementary school, I started noticing changes within his school; changes for the worse and they have now carried over into middle school. I had a conversation with a school district employee who works with my daughter and she pretty much said that the district is fabulous for kids with special needs. Otherwise, the kids are just being shuffled through the system. She said that lack of parental envolvement and the attitude of the teachers are reasons why the school system is failing. I could go on and on about the fights (verbal of course) with the teachers AND staff at my son's current school but that would take much too long.

I was actually planning to move to the Sacramento area about 5 years ago but my husband talked me out of it. So after a year of researching and disecting Sacramento, I decided Folsom is the area that I would like to relocate our family to.

Apologies if I was a bit long winded!

#13 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 08:31 AM

QUOTE (Famof4Yay @ Oct 28 2009, 01:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We currently live in Vallejo. My husband and I have 2 great kids. We have lived here for almost 10 years. When I first moved to Vallejo, the schools were great and the area was a nice place to raise a family. When my son was still in elementary school, I started noticing changes within his school; changes for the worse and they have now carried over into middle school. I had a conversation with a school district employee who works with my daughter and she pretty much said that the district is fabulous for kids with special needs. Otherwise, the kids are just being shuffled through the system. She said that lack of parental envolvement and the attitude of the teachers are reasons why the school system is failing. I could go on and on about the fights (verbal of course) with the teachers AND staff at my son's current school but that would take much too long.

I was actually planning to move to the Sacramento area about 5 years ago but my husband talked me out of it. So after a year of researching and disecting Sacramento, I decided Folsom is the area that I would like to relocate our family to.

Apologies if I was a bit long winded!

No offense, but you have no idea what long-winded can be on this forum.

If you want to read a lot of hot air, just check out the politics section, I probably post my fair share of hot air there as well.

Let us know when you make that big move, I'm sure you will love it here in Folsom.
I would rather be Backpacking

#14 tgianco

tgianco

Living Legend

• 4,152 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 09:52 AM

QUOTE (Bill Z @ Oct 28 2009, 09:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No offense, but you have no idea what long-winded can be on this forum.

If you want to read a lot of hot air, just check out the politics section, I probably post my fair share of hot air there as well.

Let us know when you make that big move, I'm sure you will love it here in Folsom.

Actually, don't read the politics section. It might scare you away.

We Borg... I mean, Folsomites are a tolerant bunch. I'm sure you will assimilate well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users