Folsom4evr

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 11:34 AM

QUOTE (The Dude @ Sep 3 2009, 11:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
you missed the point

every day people get a DUI now and then and they don't lose their jobs. the officer was off duty, cut him some slack. are you a perfect angel 24/7?

Does anyone know if he was carrying his gun at the time? I heard that some off duty officers still carry a firearm. Also I don't think the non 24/7 argument would apply here, he represents the epitome of upholding the law and protecting the public. I just dont think that ends at 5pm.
How many chances should he receive 1 or 2 or 5 before he can no longer be trusted with his position as a law enforcement officer. I say sorry, 1 strike and you're out when it comes to being a cop.

#122 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 11:43 AM

QUOTE (mylo @ Sep 3 2009, 11:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Many jobs that require you drive for your duties will terminate you if you get a DUI. See also: truck drivers, ambulance drivers, medical delivery personnel. I don't know for sure, but I'd bet that UPS drivers, post office drivers, etc. all have strict limits on DUI's as well.

I have a truck driver friend and he says their company is so intolerant of drinking and driving that even an off-duty arrest with a measureable amount will get you fired. even if you are below the legal limit and off-duty, they don't care, it's fired for violating company policy.
I would rather be Backpacking

#123 Fowler

Fowler

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 06:46 AM

Just going to put in my 2 cents worth...
I think this situation sucks all around. He made a bad choice, but the punishment seems a little extreme. I said from the beginning of this thread that I don't know this officer personally, but have met him, and can say he was far more polite and respectful than many other law enforcement that I have met at my work. I don't think he should go without any punishment, but wish there could have been a resolution that would have allowed him to keep his job and prove himself again. Folsom's loss IMO.

#124 knittychick

knittychick

Superstar

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 640 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 07:07 AM

I have no legal background…but I’ve watched a lot of Law and Order. Any time a cop has something questionable in his background and he’s testifying, the defense attorney attacks the cop’s prior behavior to cast doubt on his testimony. Is that just television or would that be an issue in real life? If the officer’s credibility is now tainted and his value to testify is questionable it makes his termination more understandable.
"Peace is always beautiful." - Walt Whitman

#125 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 02:48 PM

QUOTE (Darthvader @ Sep 3 2009, 11:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Perhaps there is more to the story like some of these mystery posts have mentioned but to be a respected law enforcement unit I think they made the right choice. The officer made the wrong choice.

He can probably get a job in Oakland, Stockton, or LA rather easily.

Very interesting.

I wonder what the cops in Oakland, Stockton and LA would think, if they read your quote?

And I wonder what that really says about the FPD?

Or, rather, how you seem to view them.

Sheesh--and everyone gave me a bunch of crappola......................

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users