34 replies to this topic

#16 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 02:24 PM

I think its perfectly valid to complain about the creeping consumerism in our daily lives. It is effecting, in this case, something that is meant to be role model event for our young people. I think you have to take the micro with the macro. Let me know if your kids are going to watch the olympics. I bet they watch some aspect of it.
Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

#17 camay2327

camay2327

GO NAVY

• 11,481 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 02:35 PM

I do not like the uniforms. They look so pro military. Also
do not like the fact that they were made in China.

It is not to late to scrap them and start over.
A VETERAN Whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount "up to and including their life". That is HONOR, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -Author unknown-

#18 tsukiji

tsukiji

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,790 posts
  • Interests:Freedom. Family. Food. Funds.

Posted 14 July 2012 - 04:19 PM

While once my favorite oxford button down shirt, I haven't bought anything from the so-called American Ralph Lauren / Polo brand in years (15+). I no longer drink the Ralph Lauren koolaid. With the internet, it's easier to make purchases based on merit with less reliance on brand koolaid.

#19 john

john

Founder

• Admin
  • 9,841 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 05:48 PM

Berets? What is this, France?

#20 swmr545

swmr545

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,997 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 06:02 PM

Point taken.

Maybe we'd have less time to complain if business picked up. Jobs going overseas doesn't help that.

Make it a point to buy products that are made in the US only. If enough people are willing to pay the extra money that comes with goods manufactured over here, companies will then be forced into bringing back the jobs.

However, we want our items to be cheap, and so I doubt this will happen anytime soon.
"We must recognize that this short life can neither be ennobled or enriched by hatred or revenge."

RFK

#21 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 06:54 PM

Make it a point to buy products that are made in the US only. If enough people are willing to pay the extra money that comes with goods manufactured over here, companies will then be forced into bringing back the jobs.

However, we want our items to be cheap, and so I doubt this will happen anytime soon.

Cheap? Did you catch the prices of the Ralph Lauren Team USA line in my previous post? MacConvert is right those things are probably also made in China. Designer label used to mean better quality. Not anymore.

As tsukiji pointed out, we need to stop drinking the Koolaid.

#22 swmr545

swmr545

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 4,997 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 07:25 PM

Cheap? Did you catch the prices of the Ralph Lauren Team USA line in my previous post? MacConvert is right those things are probably also made in China. Designer label used to mean better quality. Not anymore.

As tsukiji pointed out, we need to stop drinking the Koolaid.

How much more would the clothes be if they were manufactured in the US using fabrics from the US using labor in the US?

We like our products to be cheap, look at how many people are patrons of Wal-Mart compared to shopping at the independent boutiques in old town. If you had a choice of buying a t-shirt for $15 or a similar t-shirt for $20, which shirt would you want?
"We must recognize that this short life can neither be ennobled or enriched by hatred or revenge."

RFK

#23 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 07:49 PM

How much more would the clothes be if they were manufactured in the US using fabrics from the US using labor in the US?

That's what I'm saying. They are charging $165 for a fleece pullover that is probably of the same quality that you could get at Walmart. It seems like no matter where you shop it's all low quality. I would and have paid more for things that will last longer. Better quality is hard to find. I'd like to see that turn around.

We like our products to be cheap, look at how many people are patrons of Wal-Mart compared to shopping at the independent boutiques in old town. If you had a choice of buying a t-shirt for $15 or a similar t-shirt for $20, which shirt would you want?

I'd want the shirt that doesn't look like it will disintegrate after the first washing.

#24 tsukiji

tsukiji

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,790 posts
  • Interests:Freedom. Family. Food. Funds.

Posted 14 July 2012 - 08:01 PM

US labor costs more than, say, PRC. But the COL is also much more expensive here as well.

Maybe a worthwhile perspective to consider would be the margins on these hypothetical t-shirts. A t-shirt made in the USA selling for $20 -- how much profit is the company making for that t-shirt vs the company making the same t-shirt made in PRC selling for $15.

Or maybe another perspective -- what would be the sales price for a t-shirt made in the US vs the same t-shirt made in the PRC assuming both make a profit of 10%.

Assuming reasonable, competitive wages for both the US and PRC companies for their locale, if the profit the US company was making was less than for the PRC made shirt, even though it was more expensive, which would you buy?

If the PRC company was run closer to a sweatshop, would that matter? Or is the bottom line sales price the only consideration for us?

#25 mac_convert

mac_convert

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 10:53 PM

I don't buy my clothes at WalMart but I have noticed the items that are displayed closest to the walkways are usually American made. I looked at the list of Women's Clothing companies and I'm embarrassed to say I didn't recognize any of the names let alone own an item from the list. :(

#26 MrsTuffPaws

MrsTuffPaws

Crazy Lady

• Premium Member
  • 2,390 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 05:54 AM

I'm not very political, and I'm not very athletic. But I'm kinda wondering why our national uniform can't just be jeans and a T-shirt. Seems like that's what most of Americans wear on a daily basis, not blazers and hats.

#27 fatfenders

fatfenders

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 06:36 AM

those hats make them look kinda weird, can they keep the blazers and dump the hats or replace with baseball caps

My very first thhought.

#28 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 06:52 AM

I don't buy my clothes at WalMart but I have noticed the items that are displayed closest to the walkways are usually American made. I looked at the list of Women's Clothing companies and I'm embarrassed to say I didn't recognize any of the names let alone own an item from the list. :(

That is sad, but I think it is something that could change if more people insisted.

Does anyone know if Coldwater Creek is all Made in the USA or if it's just some are and some are not?
It seems things I buy there last a long time.

I have to admit I'm not much of a clothes horse. Jeans and a T-shirt are my favorite uniform :)

#29 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 01:52 PM

I'm disgusted by Ralph Lauren's arrogance. I know lots of people are upset about the uniforms he designed for the U.S. Olympic Team being made in China, but I'm far more upset about him having the arrogance to put his logo in white prominently on the breast of their jackets. Like its all about his brand. What a jerk!

It may be tacky, but no one forced them to accept Ralph Lauren as their sponsor. That was their choice. Preferebly next time they will make more experienced choices.

#30 tony

tony

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,396 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 04:05 PM

India - 7 medals in the last 40 years, will they really be missed?

Olympic Ideal = Count Medals

Forget the uniform flap; we're worse off than I thought.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users