• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#16 Darth Lefty

Darth Lefty

Disco Infiltrator

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,578 posts
  • Interests:Volunteer with a service club like Active 20-30, and you CAN make a difference!

Posted 13 November 2008 - 10:52 AM

We've surely all done boneheaded things with our cars regardless of age or skill level. But at 79 you have to wonder. My grandad gave up driving at 80 and my dad is... occasionally exciting to ride with at 73
"I enjoy a bit of cooking, and this has always worried me. But it's OK. I only like it because it allows me to play with knives." - James May

Genesis 49:16-17
http://www.active2030folsom.org

#17 SacKen

SacKen

Lifer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,286 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 02:30 PM

There are many bad drivers out there that would fail a test. However, lacking the ability to react when you make a mistake is the difference.

My wife was in an accident a month ago. An elderly woman did the ol' confused-the-gas-with-the-brake thing. She was exiting a parking lot. When stopping as she neared the sidewalk, she hit the gas and gunned it. She shot across all three lanes and hit the rear passenger door. When they pulled into the parking lot, the lady wouldn't even get out of her car. My wife said she seemed kinda out of it and just handed her license and insurance info to her thought the window and then left without ever really saying much.

It's one thing to do the pedal-confusion thing. It's another thing to have reactions so slow that you never even touch the brake in the time it took to cross three lanes.

For the "higher power" fans out there (which I'm not, but am finding they love this tidbit)... there wasn't a single car for a hundred yards in front of or behind my wife. If my wife wasn't where she was, this lady would have shot into busy traffic on the other side and hit someone head-on instead of a minor side-swipe.

BTW, my wife was freakin' out when it happened. For starters, the car was brand new (900 miles) and the lady hit the door where our (at the time) one month old baby was sitting.

"Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!" -- George Carlin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users