#1 Dude

Dude

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 11:00 AM

There are 12 Days of Christmas.

There's no denying that fact. So why are the Boys Scouts picking up trees before the season is over?

I do appreciate the service but that's downright rude.

#2 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 11:08 AM

You can still celebrate the season without the tree.  I don't know about anyone else, but my tree was a dry fire hazard and taken down on the 26th.  Thanks to the Boy Scouts for offering this service. 

#3 nomad

nomad

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,548 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 11:22 AM

So when is the official start of the 12 days of Christmas?

#4 TruthSeeker

TruthSeeker

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 11:24 AM

There's no denying that fact. So why are the Boys Scouts picking up trees before the season is over?

Isn't that supposed to be the twelve days BEFORE the 25th?
Never heard of 12 days being celebrated after Christmas Day and into January but would be interested in hearing how you celebrate those12 days, it sounds like fun.

Svzr2FS.jpg

#5 cw68

cw68

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 10,370 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 11:27 AM

I lost the flyer - when do they pick up in Prairie Oaks? I know that we can drop it off at Rodeo park, and we have a truck so it won't be that difficult, but curious...

#6 Dude

Dude

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 12:08 PM

d0dk.jpg

f0.JPG

#7 WolfMom

WolfMom

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 549 posts
  • Interests:Having fun with the family. :-)

Posted 03 January 2014 - 12:39 PM

Cool discussion! We were just discussing doing the twelve days of Christmas instead of one big blow out day on the 25th. Take our time with it. More handmade gifts too
Dawn Grove

#8 olivia

olivia

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 01:01 PM

It's your call, to set on the curb or not.  Continue to celebrate as you choose.  BSA  won't dictate that and is by no means, rude.

#9 Rich_T

Rich_T

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,728 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 01:25 PM

That's a funky comment.

It can't be rude if they are offering a service and you can decide whether to avail yourself of it or not.

They pick up on the most convenient weekend.  They have to do things like go to school after that.  The pickup in my neighborhood is on both January 4 and 5.  The 12th day of Christmas, which few in our country celebrate, is on January 6.  We are having our tree picked up on Day 11 (January 5), to save us the trouble of disposing of it ourselves on January 7 or afterwards, which we could choose to do.

I know all about the 12 days of Christmas, having lived a long time in Germany and having a German wife.  But it's a big stretch to call the Boy Scouts rude for providing a pick-up service prior to the 12th day, in this culture that does not acknowledge the 12 days for the most part.  For most people around here, it seems that Christmas starts the day after Thanksgiving, which can't come soon enough, and comes to a hard stop on December 26.  In my house, we still have our tree up, but as I said, it's coming down on 1/4 to be picked up 1/5.  Since we don't buy a tree until mid-December, it's still looking good.

To each his own.

#10 Dude

Dude

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 01:45 PM

I find it very insulting, myself.

#11 Rich_T

Rich_T

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,728 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 01:57 PM

You know, you could probably contact the Boy Scout leader, explain that you observe 12 days of Christmas, and ask if they can pick up your tree after January 6.  They might say no, they don't have the equipment or time.  But they might just do it for you.  Believe me, it's not a common thing for people to keep their trees this long - you and I are among the exceptions in modern American culture. 

The best solution is to just dispose of the tree yourself - I think you can drive it to City Park, at least that used to be the place.

I can't convince you to not be insulted, but there is no bad intent involved.

#12 chris v

chris v

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 12:24 AM

Seriously!!!??? Then keep your tree and dispose of it yourself.

#13 Dude

Dude

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 06:41 AM

Insulting not just to me but to all Christians, the Christian faith itself.

#14 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 07:01 AM

I have friends with a you-cut-your-own Christmas tree farm who used to pretty much wrap it up by about December 21each year, but in the past five years they are now busy all the way to December 24 with people who celebrate the season through Epiphany (mostly Russians). My neighbors are Brits and she was just putting her outside tree decorations up on Dec. 26. I like the idea of celebrating a longer period that is more than just one gifting event preceded by a month of shopping. :)

Boy Scouts are awesome! And the whole basis of scouting is rooted in Christianity. Rude to Christians? I think they would be shocked to hear someone reached that conclusion. The BSA is an American organization and Americans of nearly every preceding generation ended the Christmas season largely with New Years Day, after which everyone went back to school and work.

I'm with wolf mom. I like the 12 days of Christmas concept. More time for celebrating and enjoying friends not based on gifts! If only there were some decent snow in the mountains for xcountry skiing right now.
Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

#15 Dude

Dude

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 07:57 AM

Not just Christians:

Scout Law: A Scout is trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean, and reverent to God.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users