21 replies to this topic

#16 Carl G

Carl G

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 08:43 AM

Cool discussion! We were just discussing doing the twelve days of Christmas instead of one big blow out day on the 25th. Take our time with it. More handmade gifts too

If you don't mind, tell us more on how you celebrated the 12 days of Christmas.  We've always kept our Christmas tree up until at least January 6, but never did anything special for those days.

#17 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 09:17 AM

Not just Christians:

Scout Law: A Scout is trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean, and reverent to God.

I said it was rooted in Christianity.  It was modeled on a British organization and aligned in the US with the YMCA.  Since the BSA had early and enduring ties with the YMCA, a firmly Protestant organization, the Catholic church forbade their boys to join. The Catholics accepted the BSA in 1913, but troops would be Catholic only under Catholic adult leadership. Later that year, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints affiliated their Mutual Improvement Association with the BSA with similar restrictions.  things changed gradually over the last century to grow with the times.  So I think we can safely assume its historical roots are Christian.  Today the scouts are broader in definition, changing as the group always has, to adapt to a diversifying community in which it exists.  It is a WONDERFUL organization! 

Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

#18 nomad

nomad

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,548 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 10:09 AM

Not just Christians:

Scout Law: A Scout is trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean, and reverent to God.

A troll masquerading as a Christian, amazing!

#19 Dude

Dude

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 11:18 AM

Always fight for your believes, doing nothing is downright sinful.

#20 caligirlz

caligirlz

Living Legend

• 3,163 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 01:33 PM

Insulting not just to me but to all Christians, the Christian faith itself.

Not to me. 

I've always found it rather interesting that the majority of christiandom has failed to realize that Jesus Christ was not born Dec 25. The tradition of Christmas was started by Constantine as a blending of christianity and pagan practices. Many of the traditions are pagan in nature. Anyways....

I find it sad when religious folk insist on arguing, get offended, being legalistic in their faith or insist their beliefs are better than everyone else's, because they leave a bad impression on many AND it's not what Jesus would do! 

FWIW, offense is the #1 relationship killer......

#21 john

john

Founder

• Admin
  • 9,841 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 04:22 PM

1) I am pretty sure they do it for two weekends, but I could be wrong.

2) Many people buy trees at Thanksgiving. By Christmas, that's one crispy tree, watered or not. These trees are hitting the curb at New Year's. Would you rather they sit on the curb for a couple weeks? Because I know they'd be out of my house.

3) Insulted? Take it to the dump when you please!

#22 Dude

Dude

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 06:53 PM

Well, what do you know, it's the city of Folsom that sets the dates.  Like myself, I hope you too will share your concerns with the City of Folsom...:)

http://www.usccb.org...stmas/index.cfm

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year everyone

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users