12 replies to this topic

#1 intelkid

intelkid

Netizen

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 07 March 2003 - 01:20 PM

Thout you fellow Intel-ites might be interested in knowing that police are now cracking down for for those of us who run across Iron Point Road to the Baja Fresh parking lot... it's a $77 fine!!!

blink.gif

Next time, just drive!
I believe you have my stapler...

#2 camay2327

camay2327

GO NAVY

• 11,481 posts

Posted 07 March 2003 - 02:49 PM

I have a hard time that our police force has the time to watch for jay walkers.
I keep hearing how short handed they are and the 9-11 minute response time
to a crime area.
A VETERAN Whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount "up to and including their life". That is HONOR, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -Author unknown-

#3 Terry

Terry

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,425 posts

Posted 07 March 2003 - 05:00 PM

I for one am happy to see Folsom PD enforcing the jaywalking at Intel, and all the traffic offenders all over Folsom. Let's not start classifying traffic offenders by what we think are important - an offense is an offense is an offense, and they all should expect to get caught. As for Intel in particular, how lazy do they have to be to not use the crosswalk that has a pedestrian button specifically for them to cross!

I have absolutely no sympathy for these lawless people, whether they're Intel people or any other pedestrian/driver.

#4 kanda

kanda

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 07 March 2003 - 09:31 PM

Jaywalking
Pedestrians who cross streets at other than street intersections or marked crosswalks are "jaywalking".

I found this definition on the first website I ran across that contained a definition for "jaywalking". This is the common definition, but if I recall correctly from traffic school 20+ years ago, it is wrong.

Well, I just looked on the DMV's site, and the only definition I could find is a remarkably poor one, but it does agree with what I remembered:
between signal controlled intersections.

So, pedestrians who cross streets at other than street intersections or marked crosswalks are jaywalking only if the block has signals at both ends of the street.

Unfortunately for intelkid, IIRC, Iron Point Rd at that particular spot does indeed have traffic signals at both ends of the street.

#5 Terry

Terry

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 2,425 posts

Posted 08 March 2003 - 12:24 PM

Jaywalking is not a term you'll find in California statue. You need to look at pedestrian rules in the vehicle code and you'll find that pedestrians have the right of when crossing at any intersection when it's marked with lights/crosswalk, or toher signage UNLESS it specifically prohibits pedestrians which IS the case on one side of the intersection for the new driveway into Intel (west of the current entrance to Intel from Iron Point).

I'll find the site for California pedestrian rules of the road and post it here.

#6 Terry

Terry

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 2,425 posts

Posted 08 March 2003 - 12:40 PM

Here's the California Vehicle Code cites for Pedestrians. If there are controlled intersection, pedestrians are required to use crosswalks; otherwise they cannot cross. When no controlled intersection (lights/signs/crosswalks) exist, pedestrians can cross but DO NOT HAVE THE RIGHT OF WAY

Pedestrians Outside Crosswalks
21954. (a) Every pedestrian upon a roadway at any point other than
within a marked crosswalk or within an unmarked crosswalk at an
intersection shall yield the right-of-way to all vehicles upon the roadway so
near as to constitute an immediate hazard.
(b) The provisions of this section shall not relieve the driver of a vehicle
from the duty to exercise due care for the safety of any pedestrian upon a
roadway.
Amended Ch. 1015, Stats. 1971. Operative May 3, 1972.
Crossing Between Controlled Intersections
21955. Between adjacent intersections controlled by traffic control
signal devices or by police officers, pedestrians shall not cross the roadway at
any place except in a crosswalk.

#7 kanda

kanda

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 08 March 2003 - 08:14 PM

Once again, thanks Terry, for the info! Growing up in CA, I'd always learned that pedestrians have the right-of-way. I never knew that the actual law doesn't read quite that way. Glad to see I did remember "jaywalking" correctly.

For anyone who's interested, here's the link to the actual code.

I recall hearing long ago that hitchhiking was "illegal" if you stepped off the curb. I never quite believed that one, but there it is, in black & white: 21957. Huh.

#8 valdossjoyce

valdossjoyce

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 09 March 2003 - 05:22 PM

Hey, Terry, I don't think the original post was intended to elicit sympathy but to warn folks so they wouldn't get ticketed.

Why am I not surprised that you would refer to jaywalkers as "these lawless people?" Let's see now, we've got Folsom's finest playing jaywalker Gestapo, and you're not concerned that at about $75,000 per officer (salary plus benefits), we couldn't have them doing something more productive with their time???

In eastern cities, there's no such thing as jaywalking. The walker crosses if and when there are no cars coming. The desire not to get killed is all the incentive pedestrians need to cross only when it's safe.

Society would operate more efficiently and life would be friendlier if we had fewer laws and a little more common sense. wink.gif

#9 Terry

Terry

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 2,425 posts

Posted 09 March 2003 - 07:23 PM

Okay, Val, consider the traffic tickets as the fee for not having common sense. Either way you look at it - whether one disobeys traffic laws or has no common sense - they should pay.

And, I'm sure Folsom's police officers leave their traffic enforcement duties when an emergency requires them to. Is there an area of law enforcement in town that you would rather see them dealing with? If so, point it out - otherwise, let them do what they're doing.

#10 OctoberLily

OctoberLily

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts
  • Interests:My interests vary. However, they focus mainly on my husband and children. Getting my boys through college and creating a good life for themselves. I enjoy anything creative, artistic and thought provoking. Music ranges from Andrea Boccelli to some hiphop groups. I enjoy dancing, singing and life in general. Former U.S. Marine - pretty conservative in my opinions but always open to listening to what others have to say.

Posted 09 March 2003 - 09:41 PM

Frankly, I'm glad that they are finally cracking down on this. I don't know how many times I've had to suddenly screech to a halt on Iron Point during lunch hour because someone was to lazy to walk to the intersection and cross there. Instead, some people decide to "OUTRUN THE CARS" and cross the road with oncoming traffic to get to the Safeway Plaza for lunch. It's crazy. It's not just men - - it's women too!

This is a safety concern for the jaywalkers not the person behind the 1/2 ton car. If cars aren't expecting you to cross and you do so - - where you are not supposed to - - then you run the risk of getting hit. The guy in the car may get a dent or two but the person crossing can lose their life.

Be safe and cross at the intersection. wub.gif

"The only thing we can take with us from this life is the good that we have done to others."

"Our strength will be found in our charity." [Betty J. Eadie]

"Being a mom is the most rewarding job I have ever had!"

"SEMPER FIDELIS! USMC"

#11 intelkid

intelkid

Netizen

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 09 March 2003 - 10:03 PM

I definitely wasn't trying to elicit sympathy, I was just trying to warn others... I think we all know we take the risk when we cross the road, now this is an added risk! wink.gif
I believe you have my stapler...

#12 OctoberLily

OctoberLily

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts
  • Interests:My interests vary. However, they focus mainly on my husband and children. Getting my boys through college and creating a good life for themselves. I enjoy anything creative, artistic and thought provoking. Music ranges from Andrea Boccelli to some hiphop groups. I enjoy dancing, singing and life in general. Former U.S. Marine - pretty conservative in my opinions but always open to listening to what others have to say.

Posted 09 March 2003 - 10:10 PM

I'm glad you are putting the word out.

I hope that some parents read that because during school drop off times, some parents let their kids out in the middle left turn lane to cross the road to other side and head towards the high school. blink.gif

I couldn't believe this when I saw it happen but it seems a lot of parents are doing this because the left turn light into the school is to short.

Kids also need to learn not to jay walk. Therefore, adults should lead and be an example. blush.gif
"The only thing we can take with us from this life is the good that we have done to others."

"Our strength will be found in our charity." [Betty J. Eadie]

"Being a mom is the most rewarding job I have ever had!"

"SEMPER FIDELIS! USMC"

#13 Chad Vander Veen

Chad Vander Veen

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,209 posts

Posted 11 March 2003 - 10:01 AM

ewww....Baja Fresh?

0 user(s) are reading this topic