19 replies to this topic

#16 Chad Vander Veen

Chad Vander Veen

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,209 posts

Posted 12 March 2003 - 01:11 PM

Point taken. However, I don't think that the word Cambodia implies any ethnicity in the context in which I used it. Rather, it describes a place that is undesirable to be. A comparable example would have been Rancho "South Central LA". The term does nothing to discriminate against those who live there, but is instead used for descriptive purposes. Thanks for the advice though. Also, take care not to infer someone is bigoted or racist so quickly. That in itself is highly offensive.

#17 cybertrano

cybertrano

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,495 posts

Posted 12 March 2003 - 01:22 PM

QUOTE (c_vanderveen @ Mar 12 2003, 01:11 PM)
Point taken. However, I don't think that the word Cambodia implies any ethnicity in the context in which I used it. Rather, it describes a place that is undesirable to be. A comparable example would have been Rancho "South Central LA". The term does nothing to discriminate against those who live there, but is instead used for descriptive purposes. Thanks for the advice though. Also, take care not to infer someone is bigoted or racist so quickly. That in itself is highly offensive.

I also used that word without any intention of harm. My friends used it and it did not offended me - I am Asian.

I am sure both you and Terry did not mean any harm.

biggrin.gif

#18 Architect02116

Architect02116

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 March 2003 - 12:23 PM

Not to belabor the point, but you have all been very helpful on my apartment selection decision and I have another question. Someone mentioned Gold River as being similar to Folsom. There is an apartment complex called Blairmore that is listed in some places as being in Gold River and some places as Rancho Cordova. If anyone is familiar with Blairmore and can comment on it that would be helpful. If not, since I have seen the address (Vehicle Drive) listed as both Rancho Cordova and Gold River, should I assume it is on the Rancho Cordova "side" and probably not what I'm looking for?

I hope you don't mind if I keep using you guys as a resource. I can't tell you how appreciative I am.

Thank you,

Dan

#19 Not a Folsom Snob

Not a Folsom Snob

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 13 March 2003 - 01:23 PM

I've lived at the Overlook Apt. (located on Creekside Drive)twice while waiting for homes to be built, the bedrooms are very spacious and the landscape is very mature. Wild turkey, deer and other wild life around, pool, workout room and a little less expensive than the newer complex's in the area. Best of luck!

Also, Folsom also has it's very low income or what is called "bad" areas like Duchow and Tallisman, not an area anyone would recommend. Folsom snobs like to think that it doesn't exist but it does. Rents in these two areas are well below the rental market and it shows (around $500 per mo). Both these area have been here a long time, longer than most of the newer Folsom residents and their not going any where soon.

#20 Terry

Terry

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,425 posts

Posted 13 March 2003 - 04:58 PM

Vehicle Drive is in Rancho Cordova, not Gold River. Specifically for those of your who know the area, it's west of Sunrise between Coloma and Zinfandel, so definitely not Gold River type community. I'm not aware of the complex itself, but that area is very commercial/industrial so probably not what you're looking for. If you're really looking at Gold River, which is a residential community in unincorporated Sacramento County, your boundaries will be Highway 50 on the south, Hazel Avenue on the East, American River on the north, and Sunrise Boulevard on the west.

Duchow and Talisman areas were historically areas where prison inmate families lived while their loved ones were incarcerated. The units are about 50 years old and had degraded in condition over that time. Mercy Foundation came in a few years back and renovated the units which helped clean up Duchow quite a bit. There's also a police mini-station onsite which has improved things substantially.

Talisman is not as bad as it used to be but owners of the units there are out of area so basically just collect their rents. Folsom PD and City code enforcement really do a good job in abating problems as they arise there, but they can only do so much.

Best of luck in your home searching.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users