#16 cw68

cw68

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,370 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 09:55 AM

QUOTE(forumreader @ Feb 29 2008, 09:33 AM) View Post
Perhaps if fewer lanes were used by the swim team, more people would use the Aquatic Center. One of the primary reasons we joined BRC was for the swimming facilities.

Specifically, what type of liability issues might prevent the pool from being used by the public?

The library on campus will soon be shared by the public.

I remember that years ago, before the Aquatic Center was built, the City taught swimming lessons at the Sutter pool.

I don't know what the liability issues are, but the district cries "Liability!" in response to everything. Everything!

I didn't know you're members at BRC. I work there at desk. Say "Hi" if you see me.

#17 john

john

Founder

• Admin
  • 9,841 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 10:02 AM

QUOTE(cw68 @ Feb 29 2008, 09:55 AM) View Post
I don't know what the liability issues are, but the district cries "Liability!" in response to everything. Everything!

It's a sad state of affairs today. I blame lawyers.

#18 camay2327

camay2327

GO NAVY

• 11,481 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 10:04 AM

QUOTE(EDF @ Feb 29 2008, 08:32 AM) View Post
This thread should be merged with the one on FCUSD budget cuts...

You should go to SACBEE.com and read some of the comments from readers...

The one that really sticks out is why we aren't using Solar energy to heat the pool... seems like a reasonable question doesn't it...

I saw lots of blue sky in the picture...

Another point was a posters comment that this pool was built for only "23" people on the swim team... something like over $103,000 per brat...?

I mean what is the school district thinking...

Like someone said before... it should be a community pool just like the one on Lembi...

-----------

Do not merge this item with the FCUSD budget cuts item... Please leave this as a separate item...

A VETERAN Whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount "up to and including their life". That is HONOR, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -Author unknown-

#19 folsombound

folsombound

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,040 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 10:04 AM

Another expample of great government planning. Your tax dollars at work. tongue.gif

#20 mylo

mylo

Mmm.. Tomato

• 16,763 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 10:08 AM

QUOTE(cw68 @ Feb 29 2008, 09:55 AM) View Post

Same liability they have for the Lembi Aquatic center
"Ah, yes, those Gucci extremists and their Prada jihad!" --ducky

#21 camay2327

camay2327

GO NAVY

• 11,481 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 10:08 AM

Four million dollars to build a pool and can't use it. This really blows folks... Do we have a company, corporation or rich person that could step up and make a donation to keep the pool open.

I guess the problem there would be that the school system would take the money and use it for something else....
A VETERAN Whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount "up to and including their life". That is HONOR, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -Author unknown-

#22 cw68

cw68

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 10,370 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 10:10 AM

QUOTE(mylo @ Feb 29 2008, 10:08 AM) View Post
Same liability they have for the Lembi Aquatic center

No, one is a city facility and the other is FCUSD.

#23 tessieca

tessieca

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,292 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 10:25 AM

QUOTE(supermom @ Feb 29 2008, 08:19 AM) View Post
Well, what if the school opens the pool for the summer and charges the same rate as the Aquatic center? Season passes also?

They may not be able to use the pool this spring--but what about next spring?
I think the school could generate quite a bit of business that way.

Personally I think it would be great to have another community pool in Folsom--there are just way too many people at Lembi on any given day.

Not bad ideas, but as CW noted, Lembi loses money each year. In fact, the city analyzed whether it would be cost effective to heat the pool at the h.s. for the season instead of accommodating the team at Lembi. They decided not.

I don't know about the solar heating thing, but can ask. I think you can get covers that do that??

Also, remember that there would be limits on the use of a pool that is on a school site. Hours would have to be outside of school hours, summer school, other school activities/events. Insurance would be a huge and costly issue, maintenance costs would increase, lifeguards would be necessary. They already cover these costs at Lembi.
"Sometimes on purpose and sometimes by accident, teachers' unions have a long history of working against the interests of children in the name of job security for adults. And Democrats in particular have a history of facilitating this obstructionism in exchange for campaign donations and votes." . . .Amanda Ripley re "Waiting for Superman" movie.

#24 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 10:39 AM

QUOTE(tessieca @ Feb 29 2008, 10:25 AM) View Post
Not bad ideas, but as CW noted, Lembi loses money each year. In fact, the city analyzed whether it would be cost effective to heat the pool at the h.s. for the season instead of accommodating the team at Lembi. They decided not.

I don't know about the solar heating thing, but can ask. I think you can get covers that do that??

Also, remember that there would be limits on the use of a pool that is on a school site. Hours would have to be outside of school hours, summer school, other school activities/events. Insurance would be a huge and costly issue, maintenance costs would increase, lifeguards would be necessary. They already cover these costs at Lembi.

Those are all good points: but if the Folsom Parks and Rec can use the schools facilities during summer and spring break for activities--wouldn't it really fall under the same basic insurance plans?

I'm not trying to get all crazy about this--but it seems that there really are some other ways to make this pool accessible for the kids who go to the schooll---by the school district demonstrably showing some committment to the facilities utmost $$ making abilites.

So--Get the kids on the school swim team to fund raise or pay the equivalent of a season pass per kid for pool usage.
Have all the kids at school sell family season tickets for this summer (probably too late so maybe next summer) at a discount of like $5-$10 less than Lembi. Compete for selling passes with incentives offered. Ask the local pool cleaning companies for sponsorships for swim teams and or cleaningings in exchange for labor at the pool to be done by the swim team. Have community events there--much like the Highschool has community events at the theatre--and charge admittance fees. Like maybe try to attract some local decathalon groups to the pool?

I see the pool as a source of community pride--and I gotta say---if my highschool had had a swimming pool when I was a kid--I would have volunterred to get my lifeguard certificates at my own buck--to be a lifeguard.
Just another thought.

#25 tessieca

tessieca

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,292 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 10:42 AM

QUOTE(supermom @ Feb 29 2008, 10:39 AM) View Post
Have all the kids at school sell family season tickets for this summer (probably too late so maybe next summer) at a discount of like $5-$10 less than Lembi.

When Lembi can't even stay in the black, does this make any sense? It's not the year to ADD expenses to the district general fund.
"Sometimes on purpose and sometimes by accident, teachers' unions have a long history of working against the interests of children in the name of job security for adults. And Democrats in particular have a history of facilitating this obstructionism in exchange for campaign donations and votes." . . .Amanda Ripley re "Waiting for Superman" movie.

#26 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 10:52 AM

QUOTE(tessieca @ Feb 29 2008, 10:42 AM) View Post
When Lembi can't even stay in the black, does this make any sense? It's not the year to ADD expenses to the district general fund.

It does make sense--

1) One--are we sure its true Lembi is not staying in the black?

I find that hard to believe.

2) I think that pulling some of the crowd out of Lembi would be healthier for the seasonal folks.
One of the reasons people have stopped buying season passes is because the entire town population of
kids in summer day camps is there. They need another pool in town. I know it sounds wierd--but
competition makes for a healthy business--and healthier pools.

#27 cw68

cw68

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 10,370 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 11:16 AM

QUOTE(supermom @ Feb 29 2008, 10:52 AM) View Post
It does make sense--

1) One--are we sure its true Lembi is not staying in the black?

I find that hard to believe.

2) I think that pulling some of the crowd out of Lembi would be healthier for the seasonal folks.
One of the reasons people have stopped buying season passes is because the entire town population of
kids in summer day camps is there. They need another pool in town. I know it sounds wierd--but
competition makes for a healthy business--and healthier pools.

Yes, the aquatic center loses money. It's been losing money since the get-go and, if I recall correctly, it's not going to make money. I remember Kerri Howell posting something on this during the last elections, but don't have the time to research it. We (Folsom) can't support it.

#28 brown

brown

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 11:48 AM

Simple solution....ditch the heating, buy the kids wetsuits. 80 degrees is way too hot to be working out in, anyway.
"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine

#29 Warren G

Warren G

Fancy Title goes here

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 11:50 AM

Last I heard, money losers include virtually all local golf courses and softball and soccer fields. Parks don't make money either.

But we need them.
"Is that your bike? It sure looks fast."

#30 FiscalConservative

FiscalConservative

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 12:50 PM

QUOTE(Warren G @ Feb 29 2008, 12:50 PM) View Post
Last I heard, money losers include virtually all local golf courses and softball and soccer fields. Parks don't make money either.

But we need them.

Amazing that people believe that Government should continue to provide "entertainment" for some at the expense of the taxpayers! I haven't used a golf course, softball or soccer field or even a park in many years and yet somehow I am doing quit well; thank you! I pay for my own "entertainment" and do not expect the Government to provide it to me!

Regarding the $3M swimming pool ... Might I suggest that the parents of the students be asked to contribute to the heating costs! What a novel idea!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users