56 replies to this topic

#1 monstermovie

monstermovie

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 07:10 AM

I've noticed a proliferation of boats and RVs parked in driveways this season. Definitely more than previous seasons. Some seem "permanent" in that they've been parked in the driveways for at least a month. I'm glad I'm not trying to sell my house!

I feel sorry for the people trying to sell their house on Ashcat near Conductor: The two closest houses have boats permanently parked in their driveways. Maybe the boat owners want to keep the property values depressed? Whatever, it's pretty rude to the neighbors.

#2 asbestoshills

asbestoshills

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,811 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 07:18 AM

I don't see how an RV or a  boat would depreciate a home or neighborhood unless they are dilapidated?  What's the big deal, we live by the lake? It's their drive way and they pay a pretty penny to live there.   Not everyone has RV access ya know, especially with these tiny yards they make now.  I rather have that any day then the idiots who live on my street that choose not to water their yard but mow their dead grass, so weird;) Good luck, but really if this is your big problem in life, you are one lucky guy.

Americans, don't just come in one color or race.

#3 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 07:19 AM

maybe they are using the boats on a regular basis and don't want to put them in storage for the summer season.  my parents always used to park their boat in the backyard, but that was when houses had decent sideyards. 

Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

#4 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts
  • Interests:Sole proprietor: Tailored Resume Services
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 30 June 2013 - 07:56 AM

I don't understand how a boat or RV in a driveway would depreciate the value of a neighborhood. It screams, "We love nature, recreation, and family time!" That's a bad thing?

Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child
Making a Difference in the Life of Abused and Neglected Children in Foster Care
http://www.sacramentocasa.org/

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

#5 monstermovie

monstermovie

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 09:12 AM

I'm surprised there's even a question of RV/boat storage in driveways having an effect on property value. It's an inarguable fact that property (and neighborhood) values take a hit when there are RVs and boats stored in driveways. Tell me potential buyers looking at 135 Ashcat aren't going to be affected by two boats being stored in neighbor;s driveways - one of them chocked with firewood and the trailer tongue sticking out in the sidewalk.

Or how about the people on Turnpike near Faithorne who are storing their pop-up camper on the grass in their front yard? Is that OK also? No effect on prop values? 

I love nature, rec and family time. I also have a pop-up that I store in my garage. Many of my neighbors have boats (one of them 21') and all manage to keep them in their garages. Sure, I have my pop-up out front for a couple days after camping (you know, loving nature, rec & fam and all that) to clean it out etc. But I put it back in the garage afterwards. I understand the need to have a boat/RV out every once in a while but permanent storage on the driveway is wrong in many ways. 

@asbestoshills: I am one lucky guy, absolutely. Thanks for noticing and for reminding me! :)

#6 folsom44

folsom44

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 09:18 AM

Legally they can park on the driveway permanently. Unless you have hoa and it violates the rules. Im with you that it is an eyesore and lowers property values, but I understand why they would not want to pay for storage.

#7 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 09:24 AM

I don't think it's a big deal if they keep the boats and RVs washed or covered and they don't let cobwebs build up under the tires, especially if it's more of a summertime convenience thing and they go away in the winter.  The trailer hitch or any part sticking into the sidewalk isn't cool, though, and neither is using a boat as storage on display.

I agree with asbestoshills here and think an unkempt yard is more of a drain on home values.  If you don't want to take care of a lawn, there are alternatives and drip systems are amazingly easy to install.

#8 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 10:09 AM

I don't think the boat is being used for storage.  I think they are using firewood pieces to stop the wheels from rolling. 

Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

#9 nomad

nomad

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,548 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 10:41 AM

Of course it's not ok. 99% of the boats in driveways stay there all the time. Covered with blue or gray camping tarps and bungee cords they look terrible. And I've seen (as mentioned before) firewood used to chock the wheels. Classy. A set of chocks are like $5.

There is a guy just off of S. Lexington who at one time had 7-8 junker boats in his drive way. Maybe only 3 left now but the house looks like a junk yard.

For anyone who doesn't think it lowers property values just take a drive around Orangevale.

#10 cw68

cw68

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 10,370 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 12:26 PM

Don't feel sorry for "the people." It's an investor who bought it from my friend who lost it. The owner hasn't ever spent a single night in that house. It hasn't sold yet because the yard is small and looks into the neighbor's and because they converted the two-car garage into another room. They knew its pitfalls when they bought it.

However, anyone would be lucky to live in that Conductor/Ashcat/Ballast loop. Best neighbors ever! Whomever buys it will likely end up on one of those boats one day. I hope they don't end up with a neighbor who cares what's parked in the driveway but rather one who cares about who lives on their block.

#11 monstermovie

monstermovie

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 01:19 PM

Nice swipe CW68! If I ever need instruction in snarky, I'll reach out to you. thankyoumayihaveanother

But I don't think caring about what's parked in the driveway and who lives on the block are mutually exclusive. Closely related actually. I get that you're implying: "shallow" vs "real" but it detracts the debate.

I've lived in this neighborhood close to 10 years and this year is a high water mark in terms of driveway storage. By far.

Bummer about your friend getting foreclosed on. What a nightmare for them I'm sure. It remains though: the bank will have to take a lower offer because of the driveway storage around them. Hence, lower property values. Also, the bank needs to successfully unload that drag on their books (at a decent price) just as desperately as the economy needs that bank to unload that drag on their books.

#12 cw68

cw68

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 10,370 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 02:39 PM

It's corporate owned and has a sale pending. Bet they made a mint.

Sorry about the swipe. One of the best things about Natima Station is the neighbors and neighborhood. It's the kind of place where neighbors talk to each other about issues instead of talking behind people's backs or relying on HOA boards to tell people how they should behave.

I think there are more boats and RVs because the economy is picking up and there are fun people who live in the neighborhood. They are buying some fun, family-oriented things.

#13 eVader

eVader

Living Legend

• No Politics!
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 02:39 PM

Generally it is up to the HOA to set and enforce the rules whether you can have a non-transportation vehicle in the driveway for more that a temporary use (packing, unpacking from camping/boating/short term detailing/maintenance).  Normally this is a day or two or possibly three.

In EDH (not Serrano), the CSD will notify you to move you boat, RV, trailer or basketball hoop if it stays in the driveway more than a few days then threaten if still not moved.  I ran afoul of the rule twice- once and although i think our boat and sleds are beautiful and well maintained, detailed and look "new", i store them away from the house (too long to fit in the garage) because it makes the neighborhood look cleaner. 

f someone parks a nice high end boat or RV, what is to stop someone from parking a junker boat or RV year around?

#14 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 07:56 PM

You know you have a serious issue with being snooty if you really think  a piece of wood versus a rubber or plastic chock block makes a difference in showing how classy you are. 

#15 nomad

nomad

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 2,548 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 08:16 PM

You know you have a serious issue with being snooty if you really think  a piece of wood versus a rubber or plastic chock block makes a difference in showing how classy you are. 

You're right, it does take a bit of skillz and lookin' to find that zact piece of firewood chopped just right to safely keep a 3000 lb vehicle from rolling down a slanted driveway and killing somebody.

Yep, snooty over safety right?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users