• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 camay2327

camay2327

GO NAVY

• 11,481 posts

Posted 17 July 2016 - 06:25 PM

Major crash shuts down Folsom Lake Crossing

A major accident has forced the closure of Folsom Lake Crossing in both directions Sunday afternoon, police report.

The crash happened just before 6 p.m. Sunday. No other details are being released at this time, police said.

It is unclear at this time when the road will reopen.

This is a developing story. Refresh this page as new details will be added as they become available.

A VETERAN Whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount "up to and including their life". That is HONOR, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -Author unknown-

#2 GrumpyOldGuy

GrumpyOldGuy

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 17 July 2016 - 06:50 PM

Taking bets on the cause:

-  Pokeman Go!   2:1

-  Texting             5:2

-  On the phone   4:1

-  Drunk               5:1

-  Road rage        6:1

-  Old coot           8:1

#3 2 Aces

2 Aces

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,403 posts

Posted 17 July 2016 - 06:59 PM

Drunk guy towing a boat: 1:1

#4 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 17 July 2016 - 07:37 PM

two killed, two in hospital.  It was a Ford Mustang and a Toyota.  Two people in one car were heading westbound and crossed over into the eastbound lanes, striking the second car.  Westbound driver and passenger were killed.  The eastbound victims are in hospital.  happened around 5 pm today.

Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

#5 GrumpyOldGuy

GrumpyOldGuy

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 17 July 2016 - 11:57 PM

Sheeesh.  That's the widest road in the county.  How could they cross over into oncoming traffic?  

#6 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 18 July 2016 - 05:05 AM

Sheeesh.  That's the widest road in the county.  How could they cross over into oncoming traffic?

Texting?
Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

#7 nomad

nomad

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,548 posts

Posted 18 July 2016 - 06:43 AM

The speeds on this road are unreal. You can easily be going 70+ towards Folsom-Auburn. Another poor design that has seen other deadly accidents before. 

#8 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 18 July 2016 - 07:00 AM

The speeds on this road are unreal. You can easily be going 70+ towards Folsom-Auburn. Another poor design that has seen other deadly accidents before. 

What Nomad said, and at least one of the news reports said speed was a likely factor.  I get tailgated doing the speed limit on that road even if I'm in the slow lane.

#9 awood

awood

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 18 July 2016 - 10:30 AM

So people drive too fast and it's somehow the engineers fault?

I suppose you blame cuts on the knife being too sharp? 

#10 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 18 July 2016 - 10:40 AM

It's not the engineer's fault that people don't drive responsibly, but if there are ways to make a roadway less hazardous it should be at least considered.  Perhaps a concrete divider should be installed between the oncoming lanes.  It's not like there are a lot of driveways and left turns to be made on that stretch. The PD could crack down on speeders, but that is a temporary fix because it's not feasible for them to be out there 24/7.  Just my two cents.

#11 nomad

nomad

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 2,548 posts

Posted 18 July 2016 - 11:34 AM

Don't be a dolt. And yes of course it's the engineers fault. They should design safety measures in for anything they create. Long, open, curvy lanes, downhill, virtually no cross traffic or stopping, people looking at the lake while they drive: recipe for disaster. 

And of course people should drive safely but, yeah, people. Sometimes you have to try and engineer the idiot out of society for other's safety. 

#12 GrumpyOldGuy

GrumpyOldGuy

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 18 July 2016 - 11:53 AM

It's a well known phenomenon.  The speed that people drive is directly proportional to the width of the lanes on the street/highway.  Wider lanes & wider roads = higher speeds.  Everyone slows down when the road gets narrower.  

When engineers can design safety into anything without a huge impact on cost, it's appropriate to do so.  

Easiest way to slow people down on Folsom Lake Crossing - make the lanes 3 ft narrower.  Just move the painted lines.

#13 MikeinFolsom

MikeinFolsom

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 18 July 2016 - 11:58 AM

Reports of 100mph. 

#14 BIG PAKO

BIG PAKO

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 18 July 2016 - 12:43 PM

3rd victim has passed.

#15 ghost35me

ghost35me

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 18 July 2016 - 12:57 PM

I posit that it's not about lane width -- I think the bank angle is insufficient for the nominal speed used at the curve.  I know, so I take it slow. Someone unfamiliar with the curve may take it too fast whereas if it it were banked properly, it would be okay.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users