Can Squash Plants Be Gay ? Help Needed

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 folsom500

folsom500

Folsom Gardner

• 6,562 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 12:32 PM

I am a great gardener but not that good at vegies and such. I have several squash plants of two varieties and over the last few weeks have 4- 6 flowers per day but they are all male ones... Just in case, I hand pollinate them as I do not want to miss out on getting the female pregnant... but nothing ---- I have yet to see a female flower stamen that I can detect. The law of averages says I should have at least 40% female.

Any ideas or suggestions ?

Another great  day in the adventure of exploration and sight.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has"
-Margaret Mead-

#2 jpow5

jpow5

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 01:05 PM

The male flowers usually bloom first so they are there ready to pollinate the female flowers. Hopefully, you'll see some female ones in the next few days. The stem just below the blossom will be more rounded (almost like a mini-squash) than on the male flowers which will have a straight stem. As a last resort, you could always just eat the male flowers. Although I've never tried them, they are supposed to be good fried or on a salad.

#3 Thinkingoutloud

Thinkingoutloud

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 03:51 PM

The male flowers usually bloom first so they are there ready to pollinate the female flowers. Hopefully, you'll see some female ones in the next few days. The stem just below the blossom will be more rounded (almost like a mini-squash) than on the male flowers which will have a straight stem. As a last resort, you could always just eat the male flowers. Although I've never tried them, they are supposed to be good fried or on a salad.

Oh yeah, fried squash blossoms are delicious!!!

#4 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 04:29 PM

you aren't the only one getting a ton of male flowers. My mother's garden is doing the same. I have lots of squash set on mine now though. just wait.
Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

#5 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 05:31 PM

Send them to the county jail. I'll bet Eric will like them.

#6 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 06:50 PM

I've always just let the bees do their thing and gotten more squash than I could use. In fact, I've already got zucchini on a volunteer plant. No need to mess with Mother Nature, IMHO.

Oh, and I dont' ask them about their preferences. I accept them and care for them just the way nature made them:)

My aunt and grandma used to do the fried blossom thing. I remember them being good.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users