8 replies to this topic

#1 Prairie Oaks Agitator

Prairie Oaks Agitator

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 03 October 2004 - 04:17 PM

While I was busy, my computer downloaded the infamous XP Service Pack 2 and wants me to install it. I've heard quite a few horror stories about system problems after installing this "upgrade" and wonder if it's really OK to do?

Also, the instructions say to "back up your system" before doing the install, and I'm not completely sure how to do that. I have my business stuff on this machine, and I can back up data files, but does it mean backup all programs as well as the entire operating system too? I have a CD RW thingie, is there some nice handy shortcut that says "back up everything assuming I don't really know what does and does not need it" ???

Thanks for your help!

#2 CoachWeise

CoachWeise

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 03 October 2004 - 11:21 PM

First, to install XP SP 2 or not... I installed on my XP Pro system a few weeks ago and haven't had any problems... I've heard a few horror stories, but SP2 CAN be uninstalled and/or reinstalled and most of the horror stories I've heard of have either been resolved by reinstalling or were people that hadn't actually installed it yet and was just complaining about it :-)

As for backing up your system... You CAN do it on CDRW's, but depending on the # and size of the files that need to be backed up you may need a lot of them. As for programs that do it, there are several and one probably came with your CDRW drive (like EasyCD Creator and/or DirectCD)... If not, you should be able to use the Windows XP Backup utility, if you installed the System Tools when installing XP. Do you need to back everything?? It depends on your comfort level with your system setup/etc... The recommendation would be to back up everything so that if something catastrophic happens you can revert back. The chances are slim that something that bad will happen though, however, it does happen.

So, if you're paranoid then back everything up... If you're cautious make sure that any business/data files are backed up and if something really bad does happen you would have to reinstall the OS and the applications, but you would still have the data files... If you're brave, just install it and keep your fingers crossed ...

Coach Weise.

#3 nhardy

nhardy

MyFolsom's 12th Round Pick

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,546 posts

Posted 09 October 2004 - 12:03 PM

If you have multiple drives then you should be backing all your important data to your D: drive. That way if your PC takes a dump after installing XP SP2 then you can just run the restore disks for your C: drive.

As far as XP SP2 goes, I have had no problems. You will be forced to install it sooner or later so why not sooner. The only thing that annoys me about SP2 is the fact that XP will want to control your Virus Scan as well as the built in Firewall. Other than that, SP2 runs like a champ!
To all you Freaks, don't stop the rock....

#4 Prairie Oaks Agitator

Prairie Oaks Agitator

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 09 October 2004 - 08:51 PM

QUOTE(nhardy @ Oct 9 2004, 12:03 PM)
If you have multiple drives then you should be backing all your important data to your D: drive. That way if your PC takes a dump after installing XP SP2 then you can just run the restore disks for your C: drive.

As far as XP SP2 goes, I have had no problems. You will be forced to install it sooner or later so why not sooner. The only thing that annoys me about SP2 is the fact that XP will want to control your Virus Scan as well as the built in Firewall. Other than that, SP2 runs like a champ!

View Post

Oh my, nhardy, you raise a very interesting issue. I have not yet installed SP2, figured I'd finish up some work in progress then do the backup. But my beast machine has all McAfee Security programs, Virus Scan, Firewall, Privacy Service. Do you know if I am going to have a conflict between those programs and whatever security stuff is on the XP SP2? I'm such a techno-dork! confused.gif

#5 CoachWeise

CoachWeise

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 10 October 2004 - 11:57 AM

No, SP2 doesn't include anything, but it tries to batten down the hatches, so to speak...

With SP2 the firewall will be defaulted to on --- but you can just turn it off...
It will warn you if you don't have up to date anti-virus software...
It will warn you if yo udon't use the firewall...

As to the alerts, you can also disable all of them...

So, with the security features that are added, they are all "alerts" and not actual features of Windows.

Coach Weise.

#6 Mike Hilscher

Mike Hilscher

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts
  • Interests:TV production, graphic design, motion graphics

Posted 10 October 2004 - 12:24 PM

SP2 corrupted my IE/Wireless 1350 Dell card. sad.gif So I had to reformat..

#7 bishmasterb

bishmasterb

MyFolsom Loser

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,563 posts

Posted 10 October 2004 - 01:18 PM

SP2 ate my homework.

#8 nhardy

nhardy

MyFolsom's 12th Round Pick

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,546 posts

Posted 10 October 2004 - 07:01 PM

QUOTE(Prairie Oaks Agitator @ Oct 9 2004, 08:51 PM)
Oh my, nhardy, you raise a very interesting issue.  I have not yet installed SP2, figured I'd finish up some work in progress then do the backup.  But my beast machine has all McAfee Security programs, Virus Scan, Firewall, Privacy Service.  Do you know if I am going to have a conflict between those programs and whatever security stuff is on the XP SP2?  I'm such a techno-dork!  confused.gif

View Post

Nah, like Coach said, all of that is just "recommended" by SP2. You can easily disable the Firewall from your control panel as well as not allow it to manage your VS. I just get annoyed when Microsoft tries to force feed us. tongue.gif
To all you Freaks, don't stop the rock....

#9 Cloud9

Cloud9

Hopeless Addict

• Member*
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,000 posts

Posted 14 October 2004 - 08:10 PM

Be a man! Load SP2!
"The important thing is not to stop questioning'' | "Imagination is more important than knowledge"
-- Albert Einstein--

http://folsomforum.com/

IPB Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users