87 replies to this topic

#1 bookwom

bookwom

Superstar

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 11:36 AM

OK, I'm am so tired of the attitude of some of our school teachers/administrators that seem to think that because my kids go to their schools, the kids are theirs and not mine. I won't name names, and I know it is not the attitude of all teachers/admin.

I first encountered this attitude a few years ago, when my husband and I decided to take our kids out of school for a week and do the independent study contract so we could have some special time as a family before my husband was deployed for a year. We actually got some resistance from my son's teacher. I wanted to say, but didn't, "Look, lady, this is my kid and I make the decisions. We're following state law and district procedure and it has nothing to do with you."

Now, I just had an unpleasant experience with my daughters administration. She was texting in class, which I agree is bad, bad, bad. The school policy is to take the phone away for 5 school days. Fair enough. I went in today to get the phone, and got grief because of the holiday, she's really not supposed to get it until after school today. First of all, that cell phone is my property, I'm an adult, and I never signed anything saying they could keep my property from me. They have no right to keep my property away from me. If I came in on the first day to claim it, I see no legal right they have to keep it away from me. They have every right to keep it from my daughter during school time, but no right to keep it from my daughter after school if I choose that she should have it. Again, I wanted to say, but didn't, "Listen, lady, you have every right to dictate what my daughter does or does not do at school, but after school, its just none of your business. Give me my damn phone and keep the lecture to yourself."

Phew, I feel better now.
I have a hard time deciphering the fine line between boredom and hunger.

#2 Andrea V

Andrea V

Girl ur mom warned u about!

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,657 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 11:39 AM

I'm with you on both things.
<3

#3 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 11:41 AM

QUOTE(bookwom @ Nov 13 2008, 11:36 AM) View Post
"Listen, lady, you have every right to dictate what my daughter does or does not do at school, but after school, its just none of your business. Give me my damn phone and keep the lecture to yourself."

I probably would have said it.

Anyway, did you get your phone back?
I would rather be Backpacking

#4 Darthvader

Darthvader

...of superior intellect

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,976 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 11:41 AM

Maybe if YOU took away her phone she wouldn't be goofing off texting her BFF and wasting the teachers time. Meanwhile you complain about the school system.

They probably deal with this junk 100 times a week. I'm sure you gave her a phone in case of an emergency right? Like what her friends are wearing to school each day?
...Saying what people are thinking but are afraid to say....

#5 AMETHYST PRODUCTIVITY

AMETHYST PRODUCTIVITY

Living Legend

• No Politics!
  • 2,248 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 11:43 AM

The phone is your property. I would have gone in the first day and demanded the phone back. My daughter walks home 3/4 mile from school. I got her the phone so she can call home if there's a problem.

They have other methods of punishment such as detention. I was talking to a friend of mine who is a teacher in another state. She said she doesn't give her kids detention because then she's the one who has to stay after school and "babysit" them in detention.

On the flip side of the coin, if my daughter got caught texting in class, she would be seriously grounded. ;-)

And your decision to take your child out of school to spend time with her father before he deployed - I ABSOLUTELY would have done the same thing. I not only would have told the teacher that is was my decision but if she gave me grief, probably would have demanded my child be given a different teacher.

Kimberly Purcell
Productivity Consultant - Amethyst Productivity

#6 FrankExchange

FrankExchange

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 11:49 AM

QUOTE(bookwom @ Nov 13 2008, 11:36 AM) View Post
OK, I'm am so tired of the attitude of some of our school teachers/administrators that seem to think that because my kids go to their schools, the kids are theirs and not mine. I won't name names, and I know it is not the attitude of all teachers/admin.

I first encountered this attitude a few years ago, when my husband and I decided to take our kids out of school for a week and do the independent study contract so we could have some special time as a family before my husband was deployed for a year. We actually got some resistance from my son's teacher. I wanted to say, but didn't, "Look, lady, this is my kid and I make the decisions. We're following state law and district procedure and it has nothing to do with you."

Now, I just had an unpleasant experience with my daughters administration. She was texting in class, which I agree is bad, bad, bad. The school policy is to take the phone away for 5 school days. Fair enough. I went in today to get the phone, and got grief because of the holiday, she's really not supposed to get it until after school today. First of all, that cell phone is my property, I'm an adult, and I never signed anything saying they could keep my property from me. They have no right to keep my property away from me. If I came in on the first day to claim it, I see no legal right they have to keep it away from me. They have every right to keep it from my daughter during school time, but no right to keep it from my daughter after school if I choose that she should have it. Again, I wanted to say, but didn't, "Listen, lady, you have every right to dictate what my daughter does or does not do at school, but after school, its just none of your business. Give me my damn phone and keep the lecture to yourself."

Phew, I feel better now.

This stuff enrages me.

These people think that they own our children - to the extent that they feel they can dictate to you, an adult when you can retrieve your own property?

The public school system is a failed institution - I think it was Nixon who created the DOE and it's been downhill ever since. A huge waste of money with poor (nationwide average) results. Billions soaked up in administration, and the taxpayer is forced to fund one of the largest and most powerful unions/lobbying entities in the nation.

I know that Folsom has good schools and the kids here are by and large getting the benefit of a good public education (mostly because I believe the parents are really involved - good for you), but it seems to me that schools are overstepping their bounds a bit in some areas.

Teachers complain they don't want to be babysitters - but then they pull stunts like what happened to you.

Additionally, in general our schools are nothing more activist training camps with a lot of emphasis on "the environment"and how can "save the planet" and the culture of victimization and other sort of non-essential subject matter as opposed to preparing kids to be productive successful citizens in a country full of opportunity.

Sorry - my hot button.

Those are just my opinions - I could be wrong.

Ad Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

#7 bookwom

bookwom

Superstar

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 11:51 AM

QUOTE(Bill Z @ Nov 13 2008, 11:41 AM) View Post
I probably would have said it.

Anyway, did you get your phone back?

Yeah, got it back, after having to listen to a lecture from the administrator. (My daughter wasn't there, I got the lecture)

Listen, I'm not arguing that it wasn't bad for her to be texting in class. Believe me, we have dealt with that. And if it happens again, she will be losing the ability to text and/or use that phone for anything but calling her parents for a very long time.

My complaint is that the school has no right to keep my property from me, as I am an adult, and they have no right to decide that my daughter cannot use that cell phone outside of school hours if I choose differently.

#8 Darthvader

Darthvader

...of superior intellect

• Banned
  • 3,976 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 11:52 AM

QUOTE(FrankExchange @ Nov 13 2008, 11:49 AM) View Post
This stuff enrages me.

These people think that they own our children - to the extent that they feel they can dictate to you, an adult when you can retrieve your own property?

The public school system is a failed institution - I think it was Nixon who created the DOE and it's been downhill ever since. A huge waste of money with poor (nationwide average) results. Billions soaked up in administration, and the taxpayer is forced to fund one of the largest and most powerful unions/lobbying entities in the nation.

I know that Folsom has good schools and the kids here are by and large getting the benefit of a good public education (mostly because I believe the parents are really involved - good for you), but it seems to me that schools are overstepping their bounds a bit in some areas.

Teachers complain they don't want to be babysitters - but then they pull stunts like what happened to you.

Additionally, in general our schools are nothing more activist training camps with a lot of emphasis on "the environment"and how can "save the planet" and the culture of victimization and other sort of non-essential subject matter as opposed to preparing kids to be productive successful citizens in a country full of opportunity.

Sorry - my hot button.

Yeah it's funny how nobody wants the school to take ownership of anything until there is a bank robbery across town and then all the parents whine that they didn't lock down the school and call me and email me and take care of my baby.

Geez, make up your mind people.

#9 chris v

chris v

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 11:53 AM

I can't wait for stuff like this to happen to me... I love ripping into idiots.

#10 Darthvader

Darthvader

...of superior intellect

• Banned
  • 3,976 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 11:54 AM

QUOTE(chris v @ Nov 13 2008, 11:53 AM) View Post

Teach your kid to obey the rules and you won't have to rip into the idiots right?

#11 chris v

chris v

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 11:55 AM

QUOTE(Darthvader @ Nov 13 2008, 11:54 AM) View Post
Teach your kid to obey the rules and you won't have to rip into the idiots right?

They're the idiots so all bets are off.

Really though, all kids are going to get into trouble... texting in class vs. caught shoplifting or worse, I'll take the texting.

#12 ChipShot

ChipShot

Golfer-In-Chief

• Banned
  • 5,992 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 11:56 AM

QUOTE(Darthvader @ Nov 13 2008, 11:41 AM) View Post
Maybe if YOU took away her phone...

But that would be mean...
I have opinions, you have opinions. We'll just call it even...is that OK ??

#13 Andrea V

Andrea V

Girl ur mom warned u about!

• Premium Member
  • 5,657 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 11:57 AM

QUOTE(chris v @ Nov 13 2008, 11:53 AM) View Post

don't hold your breath... kid 1 would not do that IN class... he'd wait till recess! tongue.gif
<3

#14 bookwom

bookwom

Superstar

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 11:58 AM

QUOTE(FrankExchange @ Nov 13 2008, 11:49 AM) View Post
This stuff enrages me.

Sorry - my hot button.

Whoa, cowboy, I'm just talking about a few local school staff that don't perceive the line between their rights/responsibilities and the parent's -- not ready to condemn the whole United States public education system as yet. happy.gif

#15 Darthvader

Darthvader

...of superior intellect

• Banned
  • 3,976 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 11:59 AM

QUOTE(chris v @ Nov 13 2008, 11:55 AM) View Post
They're the idiots so all bets are off.

Yeah that makes sense. Why send your kid to a school of idiots? Why not home school then?

People have no sense of responsibility at all. Break rules, disrupt the class, and all they can do is whine and rally support to get back their precious $29 cell phone. I'd hate parents too if I was a teacher with the attitudes displayed here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users