• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#1 john

john

Founder

• Admin
  • 9,841 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 08:05 PM

Finally! This team kills me. It's definitely torture to be a Giants fan, but they are in, and it's a brand new game. I like their odds against Atlanta.

#2 legofamily

legofamily

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts
  • Interests:Reading
    Hiking
    Photography
    Sports
    Science

Posted 03 October 2010 - 08:39 PM

So glad the Giants made the playoffs! Can't wait to watch them play Atlanta. It would have really sucked if they lost and had to go down to San Diego for the tie breaker. Umpires were tough today I think. Go Giants!

#3 nomad

nomad

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,548 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 08:55 PM

If they didn't do it today I think they would have lost the playoff game but they rocked today! The Giants have a really talented team and the pitching is spot on. Hope they do well.

#4 iMax

iMax

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 06:40 AM

Giants are tough at home and have the "mo" and magic right now. The Braves are w/o Chipper. In the playoffs anything can happen, but I like the Giants in 5 in this series. Phils and Rays in the Series though.
If you do have to die, may you all pass away like my grandfather did, in his sleep...not screaming in terror like his passengers.

#5 SacDJ

SacDJ

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 06:04 PM

Go Braves! America's team fighting for America and the team of the TRUE homerun king!

#6 camay2327

camay2327

GO NAVY

• 11,481 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 07:13 AM

It looks like instant replay should be around for the playoffs. Again, a blown call in
the San Francisco Giants win. Out at second base and called safe and then scores the
only run to win the game.

They need instant replay, at least for crucial games like the playoffs.
A VETERAN Whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount "up to and including their life". That is HONOR, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -Author unknown-

#7 nomad

nomad

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 2,548 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 07:52 AM

They needed replay when the Detroit pitcher was robbed of a perfect game but it's doubtful they will get instant replay in baseball. They should have it for certain things like this but I think it would be tough to draw the lines of what is worthy of a replay and what isn't. Foul balls? Balls and strikes? A big debate for sure.

#8 Chad Vander Veen

Chad Vander Veen

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,209 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 08:29 AM

Atlanta got totally robbed but damn if Lincecum didn't throw a hell of a game.

#9 giacomo

giacomo

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • Interests:Wine, good food, goof friends traveling to Hawaii, soccer, 70's/80's music, , Lake Tahoe

Posted 08 October 2010 - 09:24 AM

Atlanta got totally robbed but damn if Lincecum didn't throw a hell of a game.

Granted, the play in question was magnified because it led to the only run of the game. But lets be fair, in real time it wasn't obvious he was out and the way the ump was positioned and the way Posey slid may have partially blocked view of ump. But to call for instant replay on a stolen base? Please, game will then last forever if replay is to be used on every close play. Can't micromanage like that. Maybe replay on close hits near foul line (like tennis does) and plays at plate besideds home run calls.
Oh and tell me again how many runs Atlanta scored? A big fat zero!!! They were not robbed. Even if they ump had called him out, who's to say the Giants wouldn't have had a different strategyfor Pablo Sandoval in 7th with runners on first and third and one out and he proceeds to swing at first pitch into inning ending double play ( and from a new pitcher no less) He frustrates all Giants fans to no end.....and can we put those stupid Panda hats away.

#10 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 10:41 AM

They needed replay when the Detroit pitcher was robbed of a perfect game but it's doubtful they will get instant replay in baseball. They should have it for certain things like this but I think it would be tough to draw the lines of what is worthy of a replay and what isn't. Foul balls? Balls and strikes? A big debate for sure.

I like high tech solutions. I think anywhere they can improve upon making good calls, the better. I'm impressed with tennis using the images to show if it touched the line or not. The game is about the game following the rules of the game, it's not about whether an ump or ref calls it correct. Umps & refs were injected into games because the games needed an impartial witness to call the close ones. You couldn't rely on the players opinions of what actually happened. If high tech can improve the accuracy of calls, I am all for it.

I actually see no reason why the strike zone can't be measured by a camera and computer and call strikes and balls just as fast or faster than the homeplate ump can.
I would rather be Backpacking

#11 nomad

nomad

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 2,548 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 11:12 AM

I like high tech solutions. I think anywhere they can improve upon making good calls, the better. I'm impressed with tennis using the images to show if it touched the line or not. The game is about the game following the rules of the game, it's not about whether an ump or ref calls it correct. Umps & refs were injected into games because the games needed an impartial witness to call the close ones. You couldn't rely on the players opinions of what actually happened. If high tech can improve the accuracy of calls, I am all for it.

I actually see no reason why the strike zone can't be measured by a camera and computer and call strikes and balls just as fast or faster than the homeplate ump can.

Ahhh welcome to Robo-Ball! Replay for determining if a ball is fair/foul for a home run is currently used. Maybe add a camera down each baseline to see if a ball is fair or foul as well.

Beyond that adding a PC to call balls and strikes? Uh no, you will always need a real human to do that otherwise what's the point? You may as well stay home and play baseball on your Xbox if you want it to come to that. IMHO.

#12 camay2327

camay2327

GO NAVY

• 11,481 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 01:52 PM

Granted, the play in question was magnified because it led to the only run of the game. But lets be fair, in real time it wasn't obvious he was out and the way the ump was positioned and the way Posey slid may have partially blocked view of ump. But to call for instant replay on a stolen base? Please, game will then last forever if replay is to be used on every close play. Can't micromanage like that. Maybe replay on close hits near foul line (like tennis does) and plays at plate besideds home run calls.
Oh and tell me again how many runs Atlanta scored? A big fat zero!!! They were not robbed. Even if they ump had called him out, who's to say the Giants wouldn't have had a different strategyfor Pablo Sandoval in 7th with runners on first and third and one out and he proceeds to swing at first pitch into inning ending double play ( and from a new pitcher no less) He frustrates all Giants fans to no end.....and can we put those stupid Panda hats away.

Lincecum did pitch one hell of a game but it does not mean he could have went past 9 innings if it had gone into 10, 11 or 12 innings.

I'm not saying to have every call replayed but things like what happened here in a very close and important game YES.
A VETERAN Whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount "up to and including their life". That is HONOR, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -Author unknown-

#13 YogurtDelite

YogurtDelite

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 07:59 PM

I was in the garage working out this afternoon and my kids created and posted this on youtube after today's game 3. I should be mad at my 10 year old daughter (the director, producer and writer of this clip) and my son, (the actor and crazy SF Giants fan), for unapproved youtube usage, but I thought it was quite clever.

JR.

#14 tgianco

tgianco

Living Legend

• 4,152 posts
  • Interests:Baseball, soccer, football, poker, wine, good food, reading

Posted 20 October 2010 - 05:46 AM

OK... no one jinx us. No posting here. It's like openly talking about a no-no.

That video is priceless, though.
In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball.

#15 iMax

iMax

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 10:54 AM

I was in the garage working out this afternoon and my kids created and posted this on youtube after today's game 3. I should be mad at my 10 year old daughter (the director, producer and writer of this clip) and my son, (the actor and crazy SF Giants fan), for unapproved youtube usage, but I thought it was quite clever.

JR.

That is great. And, he's a left-handed hitter. Always a plus.

Aren't the playoffs wonderful. Anything can happen. The Giants have it going, but the Phils are a very talented and deep team that won't go quietly. Good luck to all the Giant fans out there.
If you do have to die, may you all pass away like my grandfather did, in his sleep...not screaming in terror like his passengers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users