• Please log in to reply
187 replies to this topic

#31 camay2327

camay2327

GO NAVY

• 11,481 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 01:50 PM

QUOTE(chris v @ Feb 29 2008, 01:42 PM) View Post
I agree, under the right circumstances. This time I had no time to react or stop. If I am splitting lanes and come upon cars that are to close together then I stop.

--------

Chris, great.

I use to have problems with people on cycles cutting between cars. Yes, when I was younger, if I saw one coming I would move closer to the line so they did not have room to get past. I am now 70 and I try very hard to obey the rules of the road. I give room for them to get by now and have for years...
A VETERAN Whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount "up to and including their life". That is HONOR, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -Author unknown-

#32 Warren G

Warren G

Fancy Title goes here

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 01:55 PM

Well Chris V, I hope your riding leathers have an asbestos lining... shoot.gif

I ride bicycles a lot, and the thing I always remember is that no matter how good a rider I am, and now matter how well I follow the laws and ride safe, somebody else out there can screw up their driving and kill me.
"Is that your bike? It sure looks fast."

#33 chris v

chris v

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 01:57 PM

QUOTE(Warren G @ Feb 29 2008, 01:55 PM) View Post
I ride bicycles a lot, and the thing I always remember is that no matter how good a rider I am, and now matter how well I follow the laws and ride safe, somebody else out there can screw up their driving and kill me.

I agree.

#34 Lauren

Lauren

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 02:05 PM

Well.. I agree with most others!!! Although it's legal... it *IS* unsafe. Mainly from the startle of the engines and the quick pass out of the corner of the drivers eye! But, another reason it's unsafe is because of the crazy people out there that you encountered today!! These days... there are more and more of them out there. And, although you are being safe about it.... many drivers (these days!) will retaliate!! I'm with everyone else... i'd NEVER retaliate. But... I hope for your safety when splitting lanes...

Lauren!

" You can't make footprints in the sand of time if you're sitting on your butt, and who wants to make buttprints in the sand of time??"

#35 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 02:08 PM

Lane splitting.

I used to hate 'em.

I used to visualize ( not actually do--but visualize ) dropping rocks on 'em as they go by--or popping the door open.
I really just didn't like the way lane splitting makes me feel 'squeezed'. It makes me nervous. I don't like how they appear to weave when moving between traffic.

But what really annoys me is a whole bunch of them lane splitting as a group and you end up with a middle lane of bikes--making a racket--their fumes coming into the car ( I don't have air conditioning so my car is hotter than bikers on a bike when sitting at a stop light).

However I have gotten used to pulling to the right at a light in my lane if I notice a biker anywhere behind me.
I give them the courtesy of moving over--so they don't have to weave-I'm always paranoid they'll scrape my car.

I've also noticed many bikers seem pretty aware if they are dealing with a car driver that is unfriendly and most will hang back rather than put themselves in danger.

#36 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts
  • Interests:Sole proprietor: Tailored Resume Services
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 29 February 2008 - 02:16 PM

QUOTE(chris v @ Feb 29 2008, 01:40 PM) View Post
That is why you are supposed to look when changing lanes and not just in your mirror.

As I pointed out in a prior post about roads that curve, it isn't always possible to see motorcyclists that are zooming up between lanes. Therefore, lane splitting is often unsafe.
Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child
Making a Difference in the Life of Abused and Neglected Children in Foster Care
http://www.sacramentocasa.org/

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

#37 chris v

chris v

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 02:20 PM

QUOTE(Resume Lady @ Feb 29 2008, 02:16 PM) View Post
As I pointed out in a prior post about roads that curve, it isn't always possible to see motorcyclists that are zooming up between lanes. Therefore, lane splitting is often unsafe.

I still disagree, lane splitting is not unsafe it is the rider who is doing it that can be unsafe.

#38 john

john

Founder

• Admin
  • 9,841 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 02:24 PM

I think the bottom line is that it's up to the motorcycle rider to ride safely and defensively. Not because cars have the right of way, but because m/c riders are not protected by a steel cage.

In a car, we have the luxury of walking away in these types of accidents, regardless of who's at fault. On a motorcycle... no matter who's fault it is, you could be dead or seriously injured.

#39 Chad Vander Veen

Chad Vander Veen

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,209 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 02:35 PM

"They knew what they were getting into. I say, let 'em crash."

#40 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Photography, Travel, Art

Posted 29 February 2008 - 02:40 PM

QUOTE(chris v @ Feb 29 2008, 11:46 AM) View Post
So this morning as I'm riding my motorcycle to work some a-hole decides to squeeze me in while I'm lane splitting. Now, I'm very safe and conservative while lane splitting, meaning I don't blow through the middle of a pack of cars at 50 mph. Anyway, I hit his tire as I squeazed through and he got really pissed and tried to chase me. Why? How do you all feel about lane splitters and do they upset you enough to try and assault them with a deadly weapon?

Been there dude, when splitting lanes on the 405 fwy in L.A. they don't like that you're getting somewhere and they're not, so they try and do the squeeze, ...get close to the car next to them so that there's no gap

I only split lanes when its safe and traffic is at a crawl or stopped all together - usually when coming up to stop lights or when there is a traffic jam on the freeway. I don't do it here in town at all.

and I know there are fools who split lanes while traffic is ALREADY going fast enuf, and there are fools who split lanes at top speed while traffic is stopped or going slow - those are the guys who are going to get killed someday

but it IS possible to split lanes safely and its a nice benefit for us motorcyclists, the rider just has to have the brains to do it the right way and hope there aren't any ahole drivers who get bent when bikers do that around

to the folks who try and squeeze us out because they're pissed we're passing them - they just have to deal with it - its our right as bikers

Travel, food and drink blog by Davehttp://davestravels.tv

#41 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 02:59 PM

QUOTE(Darthvader @ Feb 29 2008, 12:53 PM) View Post
Lemme ask this: WTF is the point of doing it? Does it matter if you are the 10th vehicle in line or do you (motorcycle riders) ALWAYS need to be the first guy from red light to red light? Is that a safety isue? I see most riders do it as a "look what I can do while you're sitting in your car haha" thing. Great, you can speed to the next red light and I'm right behind you again, and again, and again.

I don't know the exact rules of how to properly split lanes but from what I see 99% of the riders aren't doing it properly. I am very surprised, however, that I don't see more accidents from this. I do know that if a guy takes my side mirror off while getting to the front of the line he'll have a Jeep up his arse at the next light.

The point of doing it is many things.
1)From a safety perspective, being able to ride with no cars around you from light to light is safer than just sitting in traffic watching for when grandma or "Mr. I don't check my blindspots" decides to change lanes, or soccer mom behind you swatting at bad boy Johnny doesn't see you've stopped.
2) because it is legal, the DMV has granted me the ability to get through stop & go traffic quicker than if I'm in a car, and actually by doing so, I'm helping to relieve traffic congestion, I'm just benefitting from the relief more than you are.
3) as someone else noted, in the summer, the only A/C is moving air, so when traffic is stopped, if I can still move, I get some cooling and as I ride a strictly air-cooled engine, it also helps keep my bike from over-heating.

Now for a little story, I didn't split lanes on this one, but one time when I was in the left of two lanes at a stop light, some dumb girl pulls up in the lane on my right, rolls down her window and asks me if I will let her go in front of me as she needs to get over to make a left in one of those 2 way left hand turn lanes on Folsom Blvd down by Sac State. I look at her, and say that No, I'm sorry but I will be long gone by the time you wants my lane. Light turns green and I'm completely across the intersection by the time she gets her car across the sidewalk.
I would rather be Backpacking

#42 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Photography, Travel, Art

Posted 29 February 2008 - 03:04 PM

QUOTE(Bill Z @ Feb 29 2008, 02:59 PM) View Post
The point of doing it is many things.
1)From a safety perspective, being able to ride with no cars around you from light to light is safer than just sitting in traffic watching for when grandma or "Mr. I don't check my blindspots" decides to change lanes, or soccer mom behind you swatting at bad boy Johnny doesn't see you've stopped.
2) because it is legal, the DMV has granted me the ability to get through stop & go traffic quicker than if I'm in a car, and actually by doing so, I'm helping to relieve traffic congestion, I'm just benefitting from the relief more than you are.
3) as someone else noted, in the summer, the only A/C is moving air, so when traffic is stopped, if I can still move, I get some cooling and as I ride a strictly air-cooled engine, it also helps keep my bike from over-heating.

very well said Bill! great explanation for those who don't ride

Travel, food and drink blog by Davehttp://davestravels.tv

#43 folsom500

folsom500

Folsom Gardner

• 6,562 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 03:37 PM

Here are some bottom lines:

1. It is legal
2. It is safe most of the time - rice burners sometimes are not.
3. Car drivers hate it because they are jealous they cant do it
4. Most motorcycle cops do it
5. MC riders are mostly responsible defensive drivers unlike many car drivers.
6. As others say it keeps the heat down by keeping the movement.
7. MC riders get there faster.
8. It beats sitting behind a diesel- ( referring to the poster that suggested it puts exhaust into their car)
9. For those that think they get Scared of the noise- get off your phone !

and number 10 - Jay Leno does it

Cheers
F500

Another great  day in the adventure of exploration and sight.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has"
-Margaret Mead-

#44 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts
  • Interests:Sole proprietor: Tailored Resume Services
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 29 February 2008 - 03:58 PM

QUOTE(chris v @ Feb 29 2008, 02:20 PM) View Post
I still disagree, lane splitting is not unsafe it is the rider who is doing it that can be unsafe.

I was addressing your point that drivers should look before changing lanes. You are putting the burden on drivers, and I'm trying to point out that it doesn't always work because motorcyclists don't always split lanes safely and it's often impossible to see them coming. I would think at some point if the majority of cyclists are doing this split lane thing in an unsafe manner then it should be illegal to do. The question is: IS IT the majority? Based on my experience, I'd have to say yes.
Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child
Making a Difference in the Life of Abused and Neglected Children in Foster Care
http://www.sacramentocasa.org/

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

#45 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 04:10 PM

QUOTE(folsom500 @ Feb 29 2008, 03:37 PM) View Post
Here are some bottom lines:

9. For those that think they get Scared of the noise- get off your phone !

I'm a lane splitter, I don't want to see the law changed, I rarely am on the phone in my car, but I too have been startled because of the idiots that split lanes unsafely. And every time it happens, I think Geez, what an idiot, he's going to get himself killed and he may contribute to me losing my lane splitting privileges as a result.
I would rather be Backpacking

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users