216 replies to this topic

#31 MrTuffPaws

MrTuffPaws

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 02:19 PM

QUOTE(ChipShot @ Jul 3 2008, 07:48 AM) View Post
I'm about to 'pull the trigger' (sorry) and purchase this. Any thoughts about the Taurus brand? This seems like a reasonable price, and most reviews I've read have been favorable.

http://www.budsgunsh...oducts_id/32433

If you do any serious research of Taurus on dedicated gun forums, you will here them as a mixed bag. They used to have serious problems with quality control, but have come so far in the meantime than their quality ranks up there with the likes of any American gun maker.

As for the MilPro PT-111, I don't own that exact model, but I do own the MilPro PT-145, which is the same as the 111 save for being chambered in 45ACP. I can tell you it is a very good design, with excellent ergos, all in a small compact package.

9mm, even in a 3" barrel will be more than enough to ruin the day of what ever you point it at and pull the trigger. 9mm is still on the cheaper side, so you will be able to practice more. If you are planning on using it for a home defense gun, you should at least practice once a month at a range.

As for bud's gun shop, I have never ordered from them, but after you include shipping and the FFL transfer fee, you will most likely be able to save money and time just buying it local. I would try the sprotsman's warehouse up in roseville. They seem to have the best selection and prices.

Oh, and on more thing. Make sure you have your hand gun safety certificate before you try to buy it. It is required at time of purchase. It costs something like $25, good for 5 years, and allows you to buy any hand gun on the DoJ's roster of safe hand guns. You have to take a short test on hand gun safety and law. If you pass, then you get your certificate. I need to renew mine. Expired in June this year.

Which bring up another thing, make sure your gun is on the DoJ's list before you try and buy it. All new handguns in CA have to be safety tested by the DoJ. If it isn't on the list, then you are SOL. http://certguns.doj.ca.gov/

#32 tsukiji

tsukiji

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,790 posts
  • Interests:Freedom. Family. Food. Funds.

Posted 03 July 2008 - 03:05 PM

Yo Chipshot,

Do you already have guns (seems like not by some of your questions/comments but not sure). If not, are you purchasing for hobby or for SD/HD? If the latter, I think what you'll find after range experience is that no gun is infallible.

If that's the case, there are some contingency strategies you miight want to consider before purchasing (besides mitigation strategies like buying a gun with a proven accuracy and reliablity track record).

For example, you might want to consider buying two of the same gun so that you: 1) don't need to get used to multiple weapons, 2) leverage redundancy of accessories (ie - magazines, ammo, etc).

Choosing a gun is pretty personal, kinda like beer preferences. So, for a hobby, lots of fun stuff out there. For SD/HD, I'd choose more carefully (Glock is a good choice but I personally have Sigs).

MrTPaws is right -- if you buy from a local store, you shouldn't have any problems getting a CA legal gun. But if you buy online, double check the CA gun list to avoid problems at your FFL. For example, Sig offers several variations of the P220, not all of which are CA legal (don't ask me why).

#33 Johnny_come_lately

Johnny_come_lately

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 03:50 PM

QUOTE(ChipShot @ Jul 3 2008, 12:52 PM) View Post
I think I'm gonna go with Glock instead of Taurus.....the Glock 19.....

http://www.budsgunsh...oducts_id/13712

+1 on the G19. It is arguably the greatest combat handgun ever produced. And in 9mm, you can't beat the price on the ammo. I would also second the other advice on this forum and try out a couple of different handguns...who knows, you might find out you prefer wheelguns over the polymer semi's or even those all steel behemoth 1911s. Is this for home defense, personal protection (carry), for practice...or are you celebrating the Heller decision?

Try talking a Saturday afternoon and heading down to the Gun Room in Elk Grove and rent a few different types (and makes) of handguns and see what fits your hand the best. It'll cost you a few bucks, but it'll be worth your time...a lot of people have prob's adjusting to the Glock's trigger pull since you generally need to be a little more disciplined in your pull than for other makes.

But the best words of advice would be to practice, practice, practice, then practice some more. I know it sounds trite, but you should know your weapon inside and out (I practice taking the slide off and putting it back on in the dark...that probably sounds a little weird though unsure.gif ). You don't want to be fumbling around with your weapon if you ever find yourself in a position where you'd need to be using it - you'll be scared sh*tless as it is and won't be able to "think" your way around the gun. So practice.

Other than that...a big can of pepper spray in the bedside table might help you sleep better if it turns out you or someone in your house is averse to guns. Plus if you accidentally shoot someone in the face with pepper spray, generally they'll only be p*ssed at you for a few days. Feel free to PM.

#34 Johnny_come_lately

Johnny_come_lately

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 04:07 PM

One last point on Bud's or other online retailers...you will find that due to CA's very strict gun laws that many retailers will refuse to ship to CA. Keep in mind that you would still need to have them ship the handgun to an FFL and then pay your FFL a fee to receive the handgun (online "fees" can be anywhere between $25 to $75 per and I've even seen it more than that) and then you have to pay the DROS and processing fees - another $35 chucks. So, online places might have decent pricing, you have to figger in all those other fees. Plus, there's just something about going to a shop and holding the actual gun you'll be purchasing.

Here's my take on a couple of local places (there's a couple in Sacramento that are good too):

Gun Room = great selection, prolly the most expensive place to purchase just about anything gun related in Northern CA. Staff is helpful, but they're generally pretty busy or short-staffed when i'm in there, so it can take some time to get to sales staff. Staff can be hit or miss too. Excellent indoor shooting range. You can rent most of the more popular handguns and try them out. I can't think of anywhere else you can rent guns at except for the Cordova Shooting Center...but be careful there. You'll never find me there when it's busy...seen too much poor muzzle discipline there (pointing handguns anywhere besides down range) and you have to wait for cease-fires to go replace your targets..at the GR the targets on an electric pulley system (think: Lethal Weapon when Mel Gibson shoots a smiley face on a target).

Wild Sports = decent selection and the customer service has really improved over the past year or so (if you ask around, you'll probably here a couple of horror stories that would make you think twice about them, but they've definitely improved so they get my business). If you get the right guy, you'll get really great advice.

Sportsman's Warehouse = this place is like Home Depot or Lowe's...really great if you know exactly what you want to buy and you can just walk in and hit it and quit it. If you're looking for advice or asking for their opinions...that can be hit or miss. Great service, great pricing, decent staff.

#35 tsukiji

tsukiji

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,790 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 05:27 PM

QUOTE(Johnny_come_lately @ Jul 3 2008, 05:07 PM) View Post
Gun Room = You can rent most of the more popular handguns and try them out.

+1

If you have opportunities, there are gun ranges w/ rentals in Santa Clara (ie - Reeds) and Santa Rosa. Good selection of rentals and well maintained.

2 things to keep in mind:

1) when you rent guns, you have to bring a buddy. Many places will not rent unless you have
a buddy with you (or bring your own gun).

2) Gun Room has a pretty good selection of rentals but they don't take care of all the guns as they should (some of them are pretty dirty and probably have thousands of rounds through them w/out cleaning). This may affect your impression of a gun. For example, the Sigs there get rented a lot and get pretty dirty so they may jam quite a bit. But with regular cleaning they are some of the finest handguns available. Glocks are fine weapons but you may or may not like their trigger. HK's are also excellent. In general, I don't think you can go wrong with a Sig (except for maybe the P220 Carry - lots of debate here), HK or Glock. It'll come down to fit and taste. For me, I measure all guns against my P226 9mm with Hogue finger grips.

#36 Johnny_come_lately

Johnny_come_lately

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 05:44 PM

QUOTE(tsukiji @ Jul 3 2008, 06:27 PM) View Post
It'll come down to fit and taste. For me, I measure all guns against my P226 9mm with Hogue finger grips.

I like this guy....I feel a trip to the GR is in order biggrin.gif

#37 tsukiji

tsukiji

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,790 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 05:56 PM

Me, my buddy P220 and the Bad Guy at the Gun Room usa.gif

#38 Johnny_come_lately

Johnny_come_lately

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 06:06 PM

QUOTE(tsukiji @ Jul 3 2008, 06:56 PM) View Post

Man I love those shoot-n-see targets. Nicely done. Looks like you might be heeling it a little bit though biggrin.gif

http://www.bullseyep...om/training.htm

#39 tsukiji

tsukiji

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,790 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 06:20 PM

QUOTE(Johnny_come_lately @ Jul 3 2008, 07:06 PM) View Post
Man I love those shoot-n-see targets. Nicely done. Looks like you might be heeling it a little bit though biggrin.gif

http://www.bullseyep...om/training.htm

Yea, I still need to get used to the P220. This was my first time (and only time so far) at the range with it (first few hundred rounds just to check out the gun and magazines). I got it earlier this year. It's my first 45acp so I'm getting familar with the calibre and the gun. It's a bigger boom than my P226. I like it a lot but I still favor the 9mm. I find right now that with the P220, I need to fire at a quicker rate. If I wait too long, I really anticipate the boom. I'm more used to my 9mm - I can shoot that with one eye closed. smile.gif

We'll see after I've put 1000 rounds through the P220. Should be able to tighten it up and keep in more on target. It's a fun calibre. Oh, plus I have the Hogue finger grips on it now. A lot more comfortable and secure. Can't wait to take it to the GR.

#40 ChipShot

ChipShot

Golfer-In-Chief

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,992 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 06:23 PM

Good stuff, guys. Keep the good advice coming.

I'm mainly buying for HD purposes, although I suppose it'll fit in my golf bag.... ohmy.gif
I have opinions, you have opinions. We'll just call it even...is that OK ??

#41 Johnny_come_lately

Johnny_come_lately

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 07:24 PM

QUOTE(ChipShot @ Jul 3 2008, 07:23 PM) View Post
I'm mainly buying for HD purposes, although I suppose it'll fit in my golf bag.... ohmy.gif

Well, if you're really serious about HD...then you should try one of these. I call her The Persuader, cuz nothing helps change some bad guy's mind faster than the sound of racking a slide on a 12 gauge.

Attached Files

#42 EDH Jen

EDH Jen

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,852 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 07:39 PM

Love that name.

"everybody loves him"

#43 MikeinFolsom

MikeinFolsom

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 07:59 PM

H&K USP40. If it is good enough for Delta......its good enough.

#44 Darth.Central

Darth.Central

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 01:52 PM

H&K, Sig & Glock all good choices - range test before buying

for HD an 870 Tac-2 / 3 or a Mossberg 500 w/a surefire attachment will do

lean towards 870, HK P2000 myself

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

#45 tsukiji

tsukiji

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,790 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 08:00 AM

QUOTE(Darth.Central @ Jul 4 2008, 02:52 PM) View Post
H&K, Sig & Glock all good choices - range test before buying

for HD an 870 Tac-2 / 3 or a Mossberg 500 w/a surefire attachment will do

lean towards 870, HK P2000 myself

+1 shotgun vs handgun, shotgun wins. smile.gif Assuming no one else but the badguy is around....

Have you ever tried these? http://www.cci-ammun.../shotshell.aspx

They seem interesting but not sure if they are okay -- don't want to mess up my Sigs and I'm not sure if the range will let me use them in rentals (they usually require you to use their ammo).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users