220 replies to this topic

#16 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,361 posts
  • Interests:Sole proprietor: Tailored Resume Services
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 22 July 2008 - 03:45 PM

QUOTE(folsombound @ Jul 22 2008, 04:25 PM) View Post
I am so SOL now. My doctor wants me on a low carb, low sugar and low cholesterol diet. I think that means I am having carrot sticks and tomatoes for dinner, washed down with orange juice. sad.gif

I hate to bring you further down, but carrots and juice are high in carbs. sad.gif

For quick and tasty dinners, we often have:

* breakfast

* green salad with roasted chicken from the store, balsamic vinegar dressing, sliced almonds, red bell pepper, and whatever other veggie we have handy

* stir fry

* burritos

* chicken sausage -- any of a number of varieties

* chicken quesadillas

* grilled teriyaki chicken, salmon, beef or pork

* Hawaiian Miso Yaki Salmon baked/broiled

Here's the recipe -- slightly adapted from Chef Sam Choy (cut recipe in half if desired, but the leftovers are GREAT cold with salad)

10 6 oz. salmon fillets
¾ cup white miso*
3 tbl. freshly grated ginger
¼ cup sugar
¼ cup rice vinegar
¼ cup Mirin (sweet rice wine)**

1. Rinse salmon and place in marinating container or large casserole dish.

2. Combine remaining ingredients, stir well, and add to salmon. Allow to marinate 1 - 2 hours.

3. Line a broiling pan with aluminum foil and spray with Pam. Place the fish with marinade in the pan and bake at 375 degrees 20 - 30 minutes, depending upon the thickness of the fish. When cooked through, broil a few minutes until salmon is golden brown and sauce is bubbling.

* Miso can be found in the refrigerated Asian section of many grocery stores, near egg roll wrappers.

** SUBSTITUTION: If you do not have Mirin, you can substitute 1/2 cup dry sherry, which has been simmered with 1/6 cup of sugar until sugar has dissolved. Cool before using.

Serve with fried rice and broccoli or green beans that have been steamed and briefly sautéed with garlic and ginger.

* Cajun fish or chicken , pan fried in a minimum of olive oil (I make a large batch of the spice mix so it's always at hand)

* I don't know what this is called -- hm, let's call it the Deb Special. It's very easy to make and works well with fish, pork, chicken or beef. Pat the meat or fish dry with paper towel. Spread one side with a very thin layer of Dijon mustard. Finely mince garlic and shallots and sprinkle some on the mustard. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper. Heat a large skillet or griddle on a medium heat with a small amount of olive oil. Place the meat or fish in the pan, seasoned side down. While the first side is cooking, season the top side exactly the same way. Flip when the first side is browned. Remove from pan when desired level of cooking is reached. NOTE: Spoon some mustard into a small bowl and use that to spread on the meat/fish to avoid contaminating the jar with raw juices.
Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child
Making a Difference in the Life of Abused and Neglected Children in Foster Care
http://www.sacramentocasa.org/

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

#17 mylo

mylo

Mmm.. Tomato

• 16,763 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 03:46 PM

QUOTE(rlsliger @ Jul 22 2008, 04:35 PM) View Post
Sounds good Darth. I was going to have cereral but instead of getting a bowl and spoon dirty I might head to Manderes instead.

Since nobody's going to Trivia tonight, I was just thinking Manderes for dinner tongue.gif
"Ah, yes, those Gucci extremists and their Prada jihad!" --ducky

#18 Andrea V

Andrea V

Girl ur mom warned u about!

• Premium Member
  • 5,657 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 04:55 PM

QUOTE(Darth Lefty @ Jul 22 2008, 04:31 PM) View Post
It means lots of boneless skinless chicken boobies.

My mom and I called it that since I was a kid!! I always thought it was the funniest thing!
<3

#19 folsombound

folsombound

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,040 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 05:26 PM

QUOTE(Resume Lady @ Jul 22 2008, 04:45 PM) View Post
I hate to bring you further down, but carrots and juice are high in carbs. sad.gif
For quick and tasty dinners, we often have:

* breakfast

* green salad with roasted chicken from the store, balsamic vinegar dressing, sliced almonds, red bell pepper, and whatever other veggie we have handy

* stir fry

* burritos

* chicken sausage -- any of a number of varieties

* chicken quesadillas

* grilled teriyaki chicken, salmon, beef or pork

* Hawaiian Miso Yaki Salmon baked/broiled

Here's the recipe -- slightly adapted from Chef Sam Choy (cut recipe in half if desired, but the leftovers are GREAT cold with salad)

10 6 oz. salmon fillets
¾ cup white miso*
3 tbl. freshly grated ginger
¼ cup sugar
¼ cup rice vinegar
¼ cup Mirin (sweet rice wine)**

1. Rinse salmon and place in marinating container or large casserole dish.

2. Combine remaining ingredients, stir well, and add to salmon. Allow to marinate 1 - 2 hours.

3. Line a broiling pan with aluminum foil and spray with Pam. Place the fish with marinade in the pan and bake at 375 degrees 20 - 30 minutes, depending upon the thickness of the fish. When cooked through, broil a few minutes until salmon is golden brown and sauce is bubbling.

* Miso can be found in the refrigerated Asian section of many grocery stores, near egg roll wrappers.

** SUBSTITUTION: If you do not have Mirin, you can substitute 1/2 cup dry sherry, which has been simmered with 1/6 cup of sugar until sugar has dissolved. Cool before using.

Serve with fried rice and broccoli or green beans that have been steamed and briefly sautéed with garlic and ginger.

* Cajun fish or chicken , pan fried in a minimum of olive oil (I make a large batch of the spice mix so it's always at hand)

* I don't know what this is called -- hm, let's call it the Deb Special. It's very easy to make and works well with fish, pork, chicken or beef. Pat the meat or fish dry with paper towel. Spread one side with a very thin layer of Dijon mustard. Finely mince garlic and shallots and sprinkle some on the mustard. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper. Heat a large skillet or griddle on a medium heat with a small amount of olive oil. Place the meat or fish in the pan, seasoned side down. While the first side is cooking, season the top side exactly the same way. Flip when the first side is browned. Remove from pan when desired level of cooking is reached. NOTE: Spoon some mustard into a small bowl and use that to spread on the meat/fish to avoid contaminating the jar with raw juices.

Wow, thank you. I'll print, save and use these. aAll my eating habits have to change and I can use all the help I can get. For the record though, I can substitute a good Cabernet or Zinfandel for the orange juice tongue.gif

#20 Mommy2Sydni

Mommy2Sydni

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 06:00 PM

2 quick and easy's......

Salsa Roast (Crockpot)

London broil in crockpot with a generous amount of salsa.
Let cook all day on low; occasionally mix/shred/turn...
Yummy as Tacos, Enchiladas, Burritos....

Aujus Beef(Electric Skillet)

Salt & Pepper a london broil; brown both sides in an electric skillet
When browned, put a can of chicken broth in with the london broil; simmer for a few hours, checking occasionally (I usually start this at nap time for it to be super tender)
About 30 minutes before eating, take out the london broil and slice/shred it
Add Aujus (packet with water) and the london broil
Simmer for about 30 minutes (perfect time to make rice with it)
Have over rice or as french dip sandwiches

#21 mylo

mylo

Mmm.. Tomato

• 16,763 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 06:02 PM

Costco frozen shrimp make a quick easy meal. My wife mixes up a large batch of cajun seasoning that can quickly be thrown onto them, a quick fry job, some rice and fresh garden veggies... Mmmm
"Ah, yes, those Gucci extremists and their Prada jihad!" --ducky

#22 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 11:13 AM

new day

Some tocino on my hamilton grill (5 minutes pre-heat, then 7 minutes cook)
pot stickers from costco (~10 minutes steamed & fried [add water to skillet and cover while spattering is occurring])
steamed asparagus (10 minutes in electric steamer)

& salad (tossed and served while the rest is cooking)

BTW, lunch was a turkey pastrami with swiss cheese sandwich.
I would rather be Backpacking

#23 (Gaelic925)

(Gaelic925)
  • Visitors

Posted 23 July 2008 - 12:48 PM

QUOTE(Mommy2Sydni @ Jul 22 2008, 07:00 PM) View Post
2 quick and easy's......

Salsa Roast (Crockpot)

London broil in crockpot with a generous amount of salsa.
Let cook all day on low; occasionally mix/shred/turn...
Yummy as Tacos, Enchiladas, Burritos....

What kind of salsa do you use?

Do you brown the London broil before you put it in the pot?

Thanks!

#24 EDH Jen

EDH Jen

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,852 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 01:30 PM

Tonight is lettuce wraps. Yum!

#25 Mommy2Sydni

Mommy2Sydni

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 01:38 PM

QUOTE(Gaelic925 @ Jul 23 2008, 01:48 PM) View Post
What kind of salsa do you use?

Do you brown the London broil before you put it in the pot?

Thanks!

Nope....literally just throw those 2 in....
I buy the big jugs of Pace at Sams Club....

Just start it early....like 8 or 9

#26 rlsliger

rlsliger

Superstar

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 01:44 PM

QUOTE(Mommy2Sydni @ Jul 23 2008, 02:38 PM) View Post
Nope....literally just throw those 2 in....
I buy the big jugs of Pace at Sams Club....

Just start it early....like 8 or 9

I love the big jugs.....at Sam's

#27 Orangetj

Orangetj

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 2,237 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 01:51 PM

My wife made some good stuff the last two nights! We had bacon wrapped pork chops with a garlic & mustard rub (cooked on the BBQ) Monday night and a Chicken Cordon Bleu type of thing last night. Not exactly low fat, but certainly highly tasty!

#28 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 02:02 PM

QUOTE(Orangetj @ Jul 23 2008, 02:51 PM) View Post
My wife made some good stuff the last two nights! We had bacon wrapped pork chops with a garlic & mustard rub (cooked on the BBQ) Monday night and a Chicken Cordon Bleu type of thing last night. Not exactly low fat, but certainly highly tasty!

I wanna try that. Will your wife share how she does the garlic and mustard rub or is it a trade secret?

#29 Orangetj

Orangetj

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 2,237 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 02:56 PM

I don't think it's a trade secret, since she got the recipe off of the internet! Maybe "rub" isn't the right word, since it was more of a baste or light sauce.

#30 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 04:36 PM

QUOTE(Orangetj @ Jul 23 2008, 03:56 PM) View Post
I don't think it's a trade secret, since she got the recipe off of the internet! Maybe "rub" isn't the right word, since it was more of a baste or light sauce.

That's cool. Baste, sauce, rub, whatever. I'd still like to try it. It would be nice to have at least one pork chop recipe where they don't turn out dry. I never seem to have much luck with them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users