219 replies to this topic

#31 bordercolliefan

bordercolliefan

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,596 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 10:55 AM

the mother bought the weapons. I mention the video games because he liked to play them, which means he modeled shooting, spent hours imagining that he was doing that and living that as a reality in his twisted mind. for a normal kid, no problem, but this guy had aspergers, a personality disorder that makes him disassociate with other humans. He had no empathy. so when you combine a kid with violent outbursts and tantrums with someone who practices shooting people for fun, and doesn't really see other humans as people, you have someone who is a time bomb. you don't give timebombs guns. mom should have known better. there should not have been guns in that household.

100% agree. So now we know that people can't be trusted to make a wise decision about having guns in their household. Unfortunately, too many people are stupid, selfish, or in denial. So what can we as a society do to keep guns out of these "timebomb" households???

#32 chris v

chris v

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 11:26 AM

the mother bought the weapons. I mention the video games because he liked to play them, which means he modeled shooting, spent hours imagining that he was doing that and living that as a reality in his twisted mind. for a normal kid, no problem, but this guy had aspergers, a personality disorder that makes him disassociate with other humans. He had no empathy. so when you combine a kid with violent outbursts and tantrums with someone who practices shooting people for fun, and doesn't really see other humans as people, you have someone who is a time bomb. you don't give timebombs guns. mom should have known better. there should not have been guns in that household.

Still.

Not a gun or video game problem. PARENTING PROBLEM!

#33 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 12:44 PM

I think people can be so defensive sometimes they can't accept a nuanced concept.
Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

#34 Priscilla

Priscilla

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 01:23 PM

Still.

Not a gun or video game problem. PARENTING PROBLEM!

Doesnt matter....law needs to change. Guns like the one used in this massacre should be outlawed!PERIOD!!!!!!

#35 chris v

chris v

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 02:34 PM

Doesnt matter....law needs to change. Guns like the one used in this massacre should be outlawed!PERIOD!!!!!!

Sooooo.... Handguns need to be outlawed? Sounds like a pipe dream.

#36 bordercolliefan

bordercolliefan

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,596 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 02:55 PM

Could someone please describe the guns used in this incident? I understood they were not "ordinary" revolvers, but were semi-automatic weapons capable of firing many, many rounds very quickly.

#37 old soldier

old soldier

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 2,715 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 02:57 PM

we all know we can't round up all the crazy folks. The ACLU would be all over this project. The problem may be there is just too much publicity given to each incident and this starts a small fire in the crazy persons brain, which grows and grows and then puff, the crazy person gets his act together and plans a shooting incident.

The fact the old media keeps score of the body count may even set a mark to exceed for the crazy person. Get a better gun and practice more.

The fact most of the crazy shooters kill themselves makes it hard to do research as to their motivation and progress towards the breaking point.

seems like some are into this goth dress, which might also be a clue. I kinda expect the anti gun folks use these incidents as a springboard for their program.

I will give old obama points for his response as a parent and commander in chief. The test will be whether he stays in DC and works on the cliff problem or hops on his plane up to connecituc for what I would consider an anti-gun photo op.

#38 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 03:02 PM

Could someone please describe the guns used in this incident? I understood they were not "ordinary" revolvers, but were semi-automatic weapons capable of firing many, many rounds very quickly.

the reports are still conflicting. sounds like he took three weapons with him: two hand guns and a bushmaster rifle. at first they said the rifle was left in the parking lot, but today they are saying he used to rifle. must have used the handgun on himself, I would imagine.

and it sounds like he had been thinking about it for at least a few days. they said he tried to buy a rifle three days ago and didn't because of the waiting period. they also say someone (possibly him?) had an altercation with four people at the school (three of whom are now dead, so that would have been his mother, the principal and the school psychologist). His aunt also said his mother had pulled him out of school in the past because they didn't like the plan the school had for his special education.

#39 (The Dude)

(The Dude)
  • Visitors

Posted 15 December 2012 - 03:09 PM

Chris V is right, those were regular handguns, nothing was fully automatic like an assault rifle

Blame the nut job, not the gun, knife, bow and arrow, car, rock, etc.

#40 chris v

chris v

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 03:16 PM

Chris V is right, those were regular handguns, nothing was fully automatic like an assault rifle

Blame the nut job, not the gun, knife, bow and arrow, car, rock, etc.

Also, not sure on the laws there, but here in CA you cannot buy a handgun unless you are 21.

#41 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts
  • Interests:Sole proprietor: Tailored Resume Services
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 15 December 2012 - 04:13 PM

Also, not sure on the laws there, but here in CA you cannot buy a handgun unless you are 21.

If news reports are correct, these weapons belonged to the shooter's mother. If someone is hell-bent on doing harm, he/she is going to find a way to do it.

It will be interesting to find out what kinds of mental health issues the shooter had, what services he was using, and whether there were insufficient servies in his community. Insufficient mental health services is a huge issue. If someone is 18 or older, there is absolutely nothing you can do to mandate services unless and until the person proves to be a danger to himself/herself. By then it's often too late. If you strongly suspect someone to be a danger, you can have that person held for observation/evaluation for 72 hours -- but no longer unless it can be proven the person is a potential danger.

Parents of adult children with mental health issues struggle with this dilemma. Even if they can find services, the services are often cost-prohibitive.
Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child
Making a Difference in the Life of Abused and Neglected Children in Foster Care
http://www.sacramentocasa.org/

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

#42 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 04:40 PM

Two thoughts:

Posted Image

Guns wont stop the crazies from doing this. Ever.

China lost 20 children on the same day as sandy Houk School- From a parent wielding a knife.

Stop attacking the weapons as the problems. The problems are the people in denial of what the real problem is!

#43 The Average Joe

The Average Joe

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 7,155 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 04:47 PM

How do people explain why our country has vastly more mass shooting events than any other country?

The U.S. has had 61 such events since 1982. Furthermore, the frequency has ramped up, with 24 of these incidents occuring since 2006. http://www.motherjon...tigation?page=1

No other country comes close.

Ummm. Wrong. Try Mexico. Try most north African countries. Some of them have massacres in the hundreds of thousands. Try any country with ethnic cleansing.The article you linked provided no evidence of any other country. While we do have more guns per capita, and our gun murder rate is higher than say, the Swiss, most reports leave out all the third world countries and those with military oppression. Does Israel have more mass killings? Sure, rockets, bombs and Hamas operatives frequently kill dozens. How many have been killed by those citizens using "government" guns in Syria, Egypt, Pakistan, etc. How about Columbia, Mexico, or Venezuela?
And Priscilla, really? That's your thoughtful solution to a complex issue. Very persuasive :P

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive" -- C.S. Lewis

If the only way to combat "global warming" was to lower taxes, we would never hear of the issue again. - Anonymous

"Society in every state is a blessing, but Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one" — Thomas Paine, 𝘊𝘰𝘮𝘮𝘰𝘯 𝘚𝘦𝘯𝘴𝘦 (1776)

#44 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 04:59 PM

and while these are very publicized events, they are extremely rare. people are far more likely to die from car accidents, drownings, etc., than to be killed by a nutty shooter.

#45 tsukiji

tsukiji

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,790 posts
  • Interests:Freedom. Family. Food. Funds.

Posted 15 December 2012 - 06:30 PM

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. -Benjamin Franklin

Folks - rifles are not just for hunting. It's a peoples defense against the tyrannny of government. If you believe in this country, believe in our form of government,believe that the Constitution was not random musings but based on the experiences and foresight of intelligent people, please don't forget the 2nd Amendment when considering your emotional responses to this tragedy.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Guns, mass shooting

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users